Winston, you're fat because you're vegetarian

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Well, I'm back again, so here are my responses to everyone.

To Winston first of all, your friend gave the classic cop-out answer of "we can debate this forever, so let's just not debate it at all." Is that seriously what Happier Abroad is all about? Not discussing things because we aren't always going to all agree?The reason there are 500-pound guys in McDonald's is because of all the carbs they eat. All those french fries and especially the soda.

Now to reply to everyone else:
Jackal wrote:There's no need to go to extremes. Yes, Winston seems to be carb-sensitive and he probably would lose a lot of weight if he switched to a diet which was higher in protein and lower in carbs, but going on a high-fat diet isn't necessary. He might do well just keeping the amount of fat he consumes the same.
This isn't "going to extremes". The ideal human diet should have the majority of its calories from animal fat with some animal protein too. You say he should increase his protein and keep his fat the same, but I disagree: he should eat a diet high in animal fat and moderate in protein. The scientific reason for this is that in order to stay in fat-burning mode (as opposed to glucose-burning mode), the caloric intake needs to be predominantly fat. Too much protein can actually switch a person back into glucose-burning mode, even if they're eating no carbs whatsoever, since the body converts excess protein into glucose.

The first time I tried a low-carb diet, my caloric intake was about 50% fat/50% protein with no carbs whatsoever. I was not losing weight at all. It was only when I switched to 80% fat/20% protein that the weight started to come off.
Jackal wrote:No way, that's just a simplification that's used in diet books to appeal to the masses. If you eat 10,000 calories worth of chicken breasts everyday, you're guaranteed to get fat! The total number of calories you consume is very important. Losing weight is at its heart a matter of calories eaten vs. calories burned.
Even if your claim is true that calories do not matter (which I will discuss in just a few seconds), eating 10,000 calories worth of fat or protein a day is nearly impossible. A gram of protein contains 4 calories, which means you would need 2500 grams of protein a day to get 10,000 calories from protein.

As for fat, it is almost impossible to binge on fat. To get even 2000 calories from fat, you would have to eat over a cup of fat, whether it be butter, lard, beef tallow, etc. In other words, even if it were true that excess calories do matter, fat and protein are next to impossible to binge on.

Now, back to your claim that the number of calories matters. If this is just a "simplification" then it seems to be a very good simplification. I eat about 3,000 calories a day on an 80% fat/20% protein ratio and do not gain weight, despite this being above my so-called basal metabolic rate. I do no cardio to burn off the excess calories either. My only theory is that as I said before, my body is excreting the excess fat in my feces (which is why I never get constipated despite eating no fiber whatsoever).
Jackal wrote:Now this I disagree with. The fact that two men were healthy after not eating vegetables for a long time doesn't prove much conclusively. Maybe their ability to do this was genetic. Maybe they would have also been just as healthy eating only lentils and cabbage.
Ah, the old "genetics" cop-out. Like humans differ so much genetically that two random men just happened to be the lucky two who can eat no vegetables and still be okay! Stefansson in particular wrote that during his one-year animal-only diet, his health greatly improved over his previous mixed diet. I seriously doubt anyone would be healthy eating only lentils and cabbage, since they would not be able to get all the necessary amino acids as well as have deficiencies in many other nutrients. As for Stanley, he started eating a no-carb diet at the age of 24 and ate that way for 52 years! He died this March in a car crash at age 76, still in extremely good health. I saw a picture of him taken at the age of 65 and he looked at least 10 years younger, if not more.

I think a more plausible explanation than "genetics" is that these two proved that the ideal human diet is animal-based.
Jackal wrote:You should distinguish between whole grains and refined grains. Whole grains are much better for the body.
A grain is a grain is a grain. They both are high in carbs and both cause insulin release and fat storage. Perhaps the only advantage of whole grains over refined grains is a lack of chemicals. Other than that, they have the exact same effect on the human body. Both cause obesity.
Jackal wrote:The most ethical diet is a vegan diet...
Why?
Jackal wrote: And also do a lot of cardio to burn some of those extra carbs you're eating as a vegetarian.
Long-distance running is not healthy for the human body. The only cardio which should be performed is sprinting.
jcris7 wrote:To the OP:
Not necessarily true. High meat consumption is linked to higher risks of heart disease and colorectal cancer. Our GI tract is not built, nor equipped with the digestive enzymes like the true meat eaters in the animal kingdom, to process a fleshy carcass. They kill their prey and tear directly into the stomach where the blood filled organs are. They need the nutrients from the stomach, liver, and intestines. When we cook raw meat, we are cooking out a lot of the necessary nutrients that true meat eaters need to survive, so if we were meant to eat meat, we would eat it raw and bloody.

So, the result from how humans eat meat -- toxic and unhealthy BMs, and undigested meat in the form of impacted fecal matter on the colon walls. It is a cumulative effect, and that's a breeding ground for disease, especially if one does not take proper measures to cleanse the colon throughout their lifetime.
All of these studies linking high meat consumption to heart disease and colorectal cancer are flawed, for the simple fact that they all used high-carb diets. Carbs are what truly cause heart disease, since heart disease is at its core an inflammation issue, and nothing is more inflammatory than carbohydrates. Meat is irrelevant to all these diseases: carbs are the cause.

Have you never heard of the theory that the reason why we have such high intelligence compared to other species is because we needed high intelligence to hunt, kill, and COOK meat? Meat is what spurred our development into human beings. Without our hunting past, we would still be Neanderthals.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that meat causes unhealthy bowel movements. As long as your fat intake is high enough, there is no problem whatsoever with meat.
well-informed wrote:AIM is such an idiot honestly. There's no magic diet that can replace the practice of exercising your body. When you complain about your own sweat, eat cake and cookies as a snack.... you're going to end up like Winston. He's not fat because he's vegetarian, you just wanna sound like a health expert at the expense of his weight.

Just shut up and leave this forum already
I truly care about Winston's weight, which is why I am trying to help him. For so long we have been fed lies by the US government about saturated fat and red meat and needing to eat a diet which is high in complex carbs. The result is that we have more obesity than ever as well as higher rates of cancer and heart disease. Before the 1950s, obesity, cancer, and heart disease were rare. And what did people eat back then? Lots of animal fat. They cooked everything in bacon grease and lard and yet didn't get fat or have heart disease.

As long as I have something valuable to contribute, I will not leave this forum. You're just mad simply because I said you're not a Latino. Be mature and move on.
odbo wrote:Not true. I have lost weight without doing any exercise. While I have gained (fat) weight while being on the soccer team running ~10 miles a day.
Exactly. Exercise is totally irrelevant to fat loss. All it does it make a person hungrier while ignoring the true cause of obesity: too many carbs causing too much insulin to be produced. There was a time that I had a 38-inch waist despite running 5 miles every other day. I don't run at all anymore and I never get fat, simply because I keep my carb intake low.
well-informed wrote:Good point, i always thought cardio alone was overrated for the human male body since we have testerone (except Winston) . Strength training combined with aerobics i think is the best way to shred fat and tone your body. Kind of like the workouts from P90x
I halfway agree with you. I personally believe that strength training combined with sprinting is the ideal human exercise program (for both men AND women). I also feel that we are bred to walk long distances and therefore should try to walk at least two miles a day.
magnum wrote:exercise and nutrition go hand in hand, but if you were limited to any ONE thing, the truth be told it would be better to do exercise and eat like crap, then just eat healthy and not exercise!
I would say it would be the other way. Eating like crap does more than make you fat; it also weakens the immune system and increases the risk of disease.
swincor__ wrote:That's right, Winston: quote an opposing response from one of your experts. That way, nothing is definitively settled one way or another. And most important: you can justify doing nothing, and go back to being a lazy, pussified, fat-ass.
I was thinking the same thing, just not in as harsh words. But you're right, he basically gave a cop-out answer where instead of actually debating the topic, we're supposed to just not do anything because we're never going to agree.
odbo wrote:The idea that vegetables makes you fat, IS f***ing RETARDED.
Good thing I never said that. What I said was that a vegetarian diet is what is making Winston fat. Vegetarian diets are by nature high in carbs, and carbs cause obesity. It's not the vegetables making him fat, it's too many grains and sweets.
momopi wrote:Americans are fat because they eat too much and drive instead of walking. Some vegetarians are fat because they eat imitation meat (junk food) and fried foods.

When I'm in Taiwan and order a bowl of hot soy milk for breakfast, it's a small bowl. Why is it that when I order the same thing in the US, it's like twice the size in a large bowl?

This is the serving size in Taiwan, note that the little white disposable plastic spoons are smaller than the regular soup spoons:
This goes back to what I said above. If you eat a diet high in fat, large portion sizes will be non-existent since only a few people could eat an entire cup of fat and not throw up. In other words, fat intake is self-limiting.

As a final note, just look at the Native Americans on reservations. A century ago they were lean. Now they have the highest obesity rate of any ethnicity in the United States. What changed? The diet. 100 years ago they did not eat bread, pasta, or potatoes and ate a diet high in animal meat and animal fat. The US government as usual thought it knew best and told them to abandon their traditional diet and eat more grains and less meat. Obesity skyrocketed as a result.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Listen up AmericanInMexico. The one good thing this useless lardo called Winston manages to do in his life, is be vegetarian. He doesn't contribute to death and suffering on this planet simply by choosing to abstain from eating meat. Don't try to get him to start eating meat, because we all know how it will end. Winston doesn't have the discipline to simply eat chicken legs. He's going to gravitate to "hot wings", ribs, fried calamari, and a whole lot of other carb-rich shit. He's going to become even more fat by adding meat to his menu.

Most people lose weight when they get off meat. They gain energy, and they smell better. Because there is no rotting carcass and blood involved with vegetarian food.

The human body is an amazing thing and it can adapt to virtually any condition on earth. Eskimos eat basically nothing but seals. But doing the same while living in a fertile area because some guy wrote a book IS STUPID! Every person is different, and we're all at different stages of our lives and have different priorities. Ideally we shouldn't all have the same diet. I for one work on my spiritually in my spare time. My diet doesn't go against this. I'm not eating death. I eat meat rarely and sure as hell don't eat pork because I like pigs and would have one as a pet if I lived in a free country. (I'm in Commiefornia right now).

You act like you have found the one way to live. There is no one way. Some people believe in what they call abundant living, and consume over 3000 calories a day. Others believe in minimal living, and consume barely 100 calories a day. As long as they're alive, who are you to tell them what is right?

As I already mentioned on here, you can eat whatever the f**k you want and still live off fat. If you simply switch to the night-time diet. And no this isn't a diet if you want to put on weight, you will be very lean in fact.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

AIM,
I'm not really qualified to discuss nutrition with you. But eating meat is against my beliefs, and would make my stomach sick. Can't I just get protein from eggs or vegetables?

I do take vitamins everyday though. Doesn't that help? I also take Omega 3 fish oil, despite the fish oil.

What if I just eat vegetables without the bread and cookies? And what do you think of the soy issue?

If the Atkins high protein low carb diet is the answer, then why doesn't the FDA recommend it? What about professional nutritionists? Why don't they recommend it?

Also, didn't Atkins pass away? Why didn't he live longer?

Furthermore, Americans live longer today than they did in past history, despite the increase of carbs. How do you explain that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Winston wrote: If the Atkins high protein low carb diet is the answer, then why doesn't the FDA recommend it? What about professional nutritionists? Why don't they recommend it?
Because the FDA is the propaganda arm of big business and has no interest in helping you.
Winston wrote: Also, didn't Atkins pass away? Why didn't he live longer?
His diet was sold as a way to lose weight not to be a fountain of youth.
Winston wrote: Furthermore, Americans live longer today than they did in past history, despite the increase of carbs. How do you explain that?
No they don't. In fact life expectancy is going down.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. Bill Clinton talks about how he lost 24 pounds after becoming a vegan! How do you explain that?

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
swincor
Freshman Poster

Post by swincor »

Winston wrote: What if I just eat vegetables without the bread and cookies?

Do you crave advice and emotional support so much that you can't understand how stupid this question really is???

He slipped on an icy sidewalk and hit his head on it on the way down.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

swincor__ wrote:

Do you crave advice and emotional support so much that you can't understand how stupid this question really is???

No he didn't. Show me the credible source that says that. If you're lying about that, that constitutes fraud and is grounds for banning you again!

swincor
Freshman Poster

Post by swincor »

Winston wrote:
swincor__ wrote:

No he didn't. Show me the credible source that says that. If you're lying about that, that constitutes fraud and is grounds for banning you again!

Will you get a grip? It was news when it happened.

Jesus, I can't believe of everything I've posted, this is the one thing that might get me banned LOL
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Oh wow that's great that Bill Clinton lost 24 pounds on a vegan diet, that's good for him.

Remind me again why you still look like a fat-asian bobblehead?
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

Not this "low carb" crap again. There seems to be one on every forum who promotes low carb as it were a religion. Fat gain is a result of excess calories, your body can't gain weight out of nothing. Excess energy results in weight gain, that's all there is to it. If you want to lose weight you have to consume less calories than you burn. If anyone lost weight due to a low carb diet it was due to calorie deficit. The one thing the low carbers get right is that a diet with more fat and protein tends to be more satiating so you naturally eat less calories when you're eating a low amount of carbs.

As for humans' "natural diet" about 1/3 of the calories that hunter-gatherers ate came from plant sources, that isn't low-carb by any means.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this BBC documentary about the Atkins low carb high protein diet. It concluded that it is highly effective and that there is no scientific evidence that it is harmful, like mainstream nutritionists think it is. It also said that the reason it works is because protein keeps you feeling full longer, whereas carbohydrates makes you hungry more often. If that's so, then that might explain why I am fat. Maybe I don't get enough protein so I'm always hungry for carbs? A girl told me that all the vegetarians she knew were fat for this reason. What do you think?

Could it be that the reason why mainstream nutritionists diss the low carb diet or Atkins Diet is because the establishment that conditions them wants people to eat more and be hungry more often, so that they can consume more food which is better for the economy?

Here is the BBC documentary which is very favorable to the Atkins Diet.

Part 1 of 5

The Biography Channel did a story about Dr. Atkins too. It said that science had vindicated him.

Part 1 of 5

Is it possible for a vegetarian to do a low carb diet or Atkins Diet? Check out these sites about that.

http://lowcarbvegetarian.blogspot.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89862 ... getarians/

http://www.ehow.com/how_8646_dr-atkins-diet.html

http://www.atkins-diet-advisor.com/vege ... -diet.html

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview/ ... arian.aspx

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

To all of you who said I don't get enough exercise, check this out.

This BBC documentary about exercise said that exercise to burn calories is a myth and that it is inefficient for burning calories. For example, to burn off the calories in a muffin and cappuccino, you'd have to jog for a whole hour! That's hardly efficient for burning calories. It said that exercise just keeps you in shape, but it's not effective to burn off calories. What do you all think?

BBC - The Truth About Exercise

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

royaldude
Freshman Poster

Post by royaldude »

my advice to the low carb haters is try going on a paleo diet for a month. see what happens. personally i went from 200 to 180 in 4 weeks without exercise, felt great and now when i eat foods like cake i feel sick.
Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback. (The Dude)

the dude abides
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

i think low carb is a good thing. anyway, i think exercise is much more important. not the fat is the greatest danger. most people are unfit because they do not workout. you can still be fat and fit. but of course it´s better without fat.