Study shows sitting for extended periods bad for your health

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Study shows sitting for extended periods bad for your health

Post by jamesbond »

The human body was designed for walking, and people did a whole lot of that for millenniums. But lately, not so much. In general, scientists believe, Americans now sit for more than half of their waking hours. Sadly, the sitting position exerts forces on the body that it's not built to accommodate, Davtyan says, and so, as comfy as it may seem, couch potato-hood can lead to a host of woes, including poor circulation and assorted aches and pains.

A person with a desk job may burn 300 calories a day at work, he reports, but that same person might burn 2,300 calories a day in a job that requires considerable physical effort. A study published in the journal Diabetologia in November 2012 analyzed the results of 18 studies with a total of nearly 800,000 participants. When comparing people who spent the most time sitting with those who spent the least time, researchers found increases in the risks of diabetes (112%), cardiovascular events (147%), death from cardiovascular causes (90%) and death from all causes (49%).

"Sitting is the new smoking," says Anup Kanodia, a physician and researcher at the Center for Personalized Health Care at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center. As evidence, he cites an Australian study published in October 2012 in the British Journal of Sports Medicine that compared the two pastimes. Every hour of TV that people watch, presumably while sitting, cuts about 22 minutes from their life span, the study's authors calculated. By contrast, it's estimated that smokers shorten their lives by about 11 minutes per cigarette.

"Prolonged sitting is not what nature intended for us," says Dr. Camelia Davtyan, clinical professor of medicine and director of women's health at the UCLA Comprehensive Health Program. "The chair is out to kill us," says James Levine, an endocrinologist at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine.

Here is the link for the full article:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-don ... 3157.story
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yes, so true. i got suicidal when i worked in the office. sitting sucks mental and physical energy. I have my netbook mostly on my tv while reading.

I think to be happy the energy level must always be hight. that´s why i don´t like most jobs. they suck energy as they are not made to maintain your energy but to suck it off.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

I think that sitting too much also affects overall mood, which affects overall health. I remember one of my first jobs, where I was sitting for about half the day. I gained 30 pounds, my energy level was abysmally low, and my overall outlook was extremely negative. When I found my next job, where I was made to stand and walk around more, I felt my mood improve. The weight fell off, and I no longer needed coffee and 5 hour energy drinks to get me through the day.

If you want to live a long life, avoid desk jobs if you can!
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This also means that if you spend too much time on this forum while sitting, you can get more depressed too. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:This also means that if you spend too much time on this forum while sitting, you can get more depressed too. lol
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

I'm so guilty of this ... sitting in front of a laptop for hours working ... what now :? ... stand and type for a bit? :roll:
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Renata wrote:I'm so guilty of this ... sitting in front of a laptop for hours working ... what now :? ... stand and type for a bit? :roll:
If you work on a computer, you are supposed to get up and walk around every hour for 15 minutes.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
williamworth
Freshman Poster

Re: Study shows sitting for extended periods bad for your he

Post by williamworth »

Working on a computer is really a very nice job but in fact its really have too much bad impact on our health as you have mention above. I am also trying to maintain my fitness level but due to sitting whole the day. Its looks too difficult for me to get the ideal fitness situation. An Ayurveda Hakeem asked me to user herbs and plants in your lunch for fitness or reducing your weight and increase your mardana taqat hakeemabdulraheem.com/mardana-taqat/. Apart from, i am a big fond of fresh juices and never remove them from my diet plan. For a fruity-fresh peachbowle, the best are can-peaches, as their juice is a great addition to the beverage. To do this, take three large cans of peaches and cut into mundierechte pieces. Remove the juice from the cans. Now sprinkle 4 tbsp. Of sugar over the fruit pulp and drizzle with 1/8 liter of cognac. After two hours, pour the fruit into a large bowls bowl and pour over a bottle of white wine and the peach juice. Let it stand overnight, then pour it with sparkling wine just before serving. Anyways, thanks for sharing the nice piece of thread with us.
wingfeather
Freshman Poster

Post by wingfeather »

I wonder if this explains all of the mysterious health problems I've been experiencing for years. You see, all I do is sit at a computer for 10 hours a day (or more) in my career. I wonder if the damage is reversible?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I don't drink coffee or caffeinated tea. I don't even bother explaining this to people anymore.

The office people have to drink lots of coffee, and they live on it. As far as I know, coffee works by causing the body to release adrenaline. So all I do is get my adrenaline without coffee, by walking up and down the staircase a few times when I get sleepy at the desk. Exercise releases adrenaline. I don't know how it compares to caffeine because I don't drink it.

And besides sitting, half the time I prefer to stand.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

What is it with young people today and wanting to work in an office or on a computer. As a young man the last thing i wanted was an office job, a screen or a suit and tie. I waanted to be in the field. Like all young men then. Except the weak sisters and faggots.

Now when you interview them you hear not what you expect from them but a list of demands like they dont want to travel, not go to site, and only want to work in the office. I call them kantoor mannetjies. It doesnt translate. Like little office boys in a contemptuous sense. Young men should do the physical work until they get the experience and show they translate that into manegerial or design capability. It gives them experience managing people, making rapid decisions, thinking ahead about desdlines and overcoming problems alone, with hardship thrown in.

Now the kantoor mannetjies want office hours, fancy clothes and no stress or overtime, and a fixed tea time. Wtf. What poofter stuff is this?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Study shows sitting for extended periods bad for your health

Post by jamesbond »

Couch Potato Nation: Nearly half of Americans sit for far too many hours a day and don't get any exercise at all, a new study finds. A survey of some 5,900 adults found that nearly 26 percent sit for more than eight hours a day, 45 percent don't get any moderate or vigorous exercise during the week, and about 11 percent sit more than eight hours a day and are physically inactive.

"Being sedentary increases the risk for heart disease, high blood pressure and dying early," said lead author Emily Ussery. She is an epidemiologist at the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, part of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Ussery pointed out that sitting may not be bad in itself, but is a proxy for not getting enough exercise.

Study co-author Peter Katzmarzyk added, "In recent years, we have begun to understand the health hazards of excessive sitting."

Although all the reasons why prolonged sitting is unhealthy aren't known, Katzmarzyk speculates that "when people sit, they deactivate the large muscles in their legs, and this has a host of metabolic consequences that seem to be harmful."

The new edition of the U.S. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans says that any amount of physical activity -- even two minutes' worth -- can add up to huge health benefits.

Being inactive causes 10 percent of early deaths in the United States, according to Giroir. If 25 percent of inactive people got at least the recommended 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week, nearly 75,000 premature deaths could be prevented.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-ameri ... udy-finds/
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."