Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out these short interviews with Dr. William Davis, author of "Wheat Belly". They explain a lot in a few minutes. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9_UfERo-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23kkp7rVDUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfY0qnH-m8I

Also check out Dr. Davis' public lectures with slides. They are a must see, and very informative, convincing and easy to understand.

Wheat: The Unhealthy Whole Grain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

Wheatlessness: A 21st Century Health Strategy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o

Dr. Davis' blog, which contains free recipes for wheat-free meals.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
Last edited by Winston on January 3rd, 2014, 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Are grains, wheat, oats really bad for your health?

Post by HouseMD »

Taco wrote:
Winston wrote: They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
I've had some personal experience with subject. Wheat definitely makes me feel sick while corn, oatmeal and rice I can tolerate fairly well. Going on a wheat free diet is extremely difficult I find, its in almost all processed food. Ironically, wheat is called the "staff of life". My dad's last meal before he died of a heart attack was my mom's lasagna. Keeping people sick is just one way the government stays in power and bleeds your bank account dry while you fight the symptoms of chronic wheat poisoning with prescription drugs.

In ancient times, when people were running around in hunter, gatherer tribes all they had to eat was raw leafy plants and meat, that's how humans evolved. Humans did not evolve eating breakfast cereal, sandwiches and pizza that's why 70% of Americans are on prescription drugs.

One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarters keeps your doctor alive. (Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb.)
Humans also very rarely lived past the age of 35 and often lost a majority of their teeth, but everyone always neglects that in the "we should eat like cavemen" argument. If wheat is so terrible, why have lifespans increased so drastically since wheat became such a large part of peoples diets?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

HouseMD wrote:
Taco wrote:
Winston wrote: They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
I've had some personal experience with subject. Wheat definitely makes me feel sick while corn, oatmeal and rice I can tolerate fairly well. Going on a wheat free diet is extremely difficult I find, its in almost all processed food. Ironically, wheat is called the "staff of life". My dad's last meal before he died of a heart attack was my mom's lasagna. Keeping people sick is just one way the government stays in power and bleeds your bank account dry while you fight the symptoms of chronic wheat poisoning with prescription drugs.

In ancient times, when people were running around in hunter, gatherer tribes all they had to eat was raw leafy plants and meat, that's how humans evolved. Humans did not evolve eating breakfast cereal, sandwiches and pizza that's why 70% of Americans are on prescription drugs.

One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarters keeps your doctor alive. (Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb.)
Humans also very rarely lived past the age of 35 and often lost a majority of their teeth, but everyone always neglects that in the "we should eat like cavemen" argument. If wheat is so terrible, why have lifespans increased so drastically since wheat became such a large part of peoples diets?
Wheat is a much different plant today than it was 50 or 100 years ago. Todays wheat has a much higher concentration of gluten and WGA proteins which makes people sick. In addition, starting in 1980 iodine which was added to bakery products in North America was stopped and replaced with toxic bromine resulting in most North American people now being poisoned and led to millions being deficient in iodine.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Taco wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Taco wrote:

Wheat is a much different plant today than it was 50 or 100 years ago. Todays wheat has a much higher concentration of gluten and WGA proteins which makes people sick. In addition, starting in 1980 iodine which was added to bakery products in North America was stopped and replaced with toxic bromine resulting in most North American people now being poisoned and led to millions being deficient in iodine.
You said last few hundred years. That is incorrect. Modern wheat does have a lot of problems, and brominated anything is terrible for you. But not all people are sensitive to modern wheat, especially if consumed in moderation. Don't buy processed goods, never use brominated flour, and use flour and wheat products only when necessary and it is fine. Of course, I make my own pasta, jar my own vegetables, etc etc- I am very much about making things from scratch in order to protect my health.

Here's the thing. Dairy is bad for you for many reasons, all grains are basically bad for you for a multitude of reasons that depend on the individual grain, cooked meats are bad for you, preserved meats are worse, legumes, coffee, tea, and many fruits contain toxins- everything in the world is basically bad for you. Oxygen itself is bad for you in high enough quantities and can even cause cancerous changes to DNA at atmospheric levels. Too much water can kill you. If you want to avoid everything that is bad for you, you may as well kill yourself. But if you want to live a decent life, limit carb intake and get most (70%) of your calories from fats and protein. It's really complicated, but basically you shouldn't eat carbs in excess of what you need for brain function (the primary fuel source of the brain is simple sugars). If everything else is protein and fat, it is hard to gain weight- it is extremely inefficient and in the case of some nucleotides impossible to convert the products of protein rich meals to glucose and fat. And fat itself works as an excellent primary fuel source but an energetically unfavorable source of fuel to convert into glycogen and finally storage fat.

The paleo and anti wheat people are sort of right and sort of wrong. The wheat belly guy outright lied about numerous studies cited, and misled people to believe that celiacs gain weight once they go on wheat free diets. To the contrary, studies showed they gained significant amounts of weight due to their intestines being able to properly absorb nutrients again. There are numerous other examples, but the basic point is wheat doesn't make you fat like he claims- carbs and sugars regardless of the source do due to the ease at which they are converted to glycogen. Paleo people are messing with their long term health, as ketosis is not a natural prolonged state and likely has more than a few long term problems, particularly in relation to brain and kidney function.

I could go on, but I'm really tired. Don't overdo the carbs, keep your calories in check, and learn to cook from scratch and you won't have to worry about all this bullshit.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Re: Are grains and wheat really toxic and unhealthy?

Post by In2dadark »

Winston wrote:If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
Why would the medical industry want to cure anyone when they profit from illness; and yes they are all tied together through common ownership or control in many cases. Cell phones make you sicker whether ppl want to admit it or not. The medical industry loves cell phones as they see a highly profitable horizon coming from them.

But I digressed. Live Right 4 Your Type by Dr Peter D'Damao is my bible. Genotype is his next book. I haven't gone into that much as LR works for me. You're Asian, you might know the degree which you culture considers blood type on many levels including work suitability.

One size fits all nutrition does not work. So the answer to your question on grains is not the same for all. When reaching for grains, brown rice works well for me. I wouldn't want to live w/o it for very long.

Dr Klinghardt (you can find him on FB) delves in to the cell phone issue & how it affects health & DNA.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD wrote: Humans also very rarely lived past the age of 35 and often lost a majority of their teeth, but everyone always neglects that in the "we should eat like cavemen" argument. If wheat is so terrible, why have lifespans increased so drastically since wheat became such a large part of peoples diets?
Because that's a myth. Humans in the past had long lifespans if they lived to adulthood. The way they got the 35 number is by dividing the rate of infant mortality with the long lived adults. So for example, if you average an adult who lived to 90 with an infant that died after birth, you get an average lifespan of 50. See how deceptive that is?

This has been explained long ago. Didn't you know? It's not true that most adults didn't live past 35 or 40.

Wheat in the past was different too. Please watch the interviews I posted above with Dr. William Davis. They are only a few minutes long each and VERY informative.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:
HouseMD wrote: Humans also very rarely lived past the age of 35 and often lost a majority of their teeth, but everyone always neglects that in the "we should eat like cavemen" argument. If wheat is so terrible, why have lifespans increased so drastically since wheat became such a large part of peoples diets?
Because that's a myth. Humans in the past had long lifespans if they lived to adulthood. The way they got the 35 number is by dividing the rate of infant mortality with the long lived adults. So for example, if you average an adult who lived to 90 with an infant that died after birth, you get an average lifespan of 50. See how deceptive that is?

This has been explained long ago. Didn't you know? It's not true that most adults didn't live past 35 or 40.

Wheat in the past was different too. Please watch the interviews I posted above with Dr. William Davis. They are only a few minutes long each and VERY informative.
First of all, provide some peer reviewed anthropology or archaeology journal articles that state people lived to said ages.

Second of all, I know all of his major points. Hell, I know people that know the guy personally. He is nice by all accounts but zealous and will do anything up to lying to get people off wheat. I have a cousin who suffers from severe chrons disease, which is the only reason I know about any of this shit as much as I do. I read a lot of articles in an attempt to finds something that helped her and came across this dude's work in the process. It's bullshit. Read his sources and you can know for yourself, he has them in his book.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

More disturbing articles about wheat:

Modern Wheat Really Isn't Wheat At All
http://worldtruth.tv/modern-wheat-reall ... at-at-all/

Wheat Madness – Is This Popular Grain Provoking Mental Illness?
http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/09/12/w ... l-illness/

Check out this black guy nutritionist named Sean explaining on a drawing board how wheat makes you fat.

How Wheat Makes You Fat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oiJXNLwbo

Video description:

Sean discusses the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis and how wheat is making us fat and how it is worse than consuming sugar. Wheat is 70% carbohydrates. Of that 70%, 75% is amylopectin and 25% is amylose. Amylase is the enzyme in your mouth and stomach that breaks down amylose. There are 3 types of amylopectin - amylopectin C is found in beans and it is not easily digested. Amylopectin B is found in potatoes and bananas. Amylopectin A is what is found in wheat. Amylase has a high infinity for amylopectin A and breaks it down easily. When that gets down to your intestine, it turns to sugar and gets to your blood stream.

The body has to have somewhere to put the sugar so the pancreas increases insulin production. Insulin is a fat-storing hormone so you end up with wheat belly. Your fat stores are an endocrine gland. Adiponectin is secreted by fat cells but it makes you more sensitive to insulin. When you have excess belly fat, you reduce your production of adiponectin and makes you more insulin resistant and you want to be insulin sensitive.

The glycemic index compares how different carbohydrates affect your blood sugar levels. In the book The New Glucose Revolution, whole wheat bread from wheat flour has a score of 77. Wonder bread has a score of 80. Table sugar has a score of 68, less than whole wheat bread. Gluten free bread is worse than wheat bread in terms of the glycemic index.

His blog:
http://www.undergroundwellness.com

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you like bread but want to consume less wheat, look for Vietnamese baguettes (Bánh mì) made with 50% rice flour. I think the ratio is something like 50:50 rice flour to wheat flour.

The Vietnamese got their baguettes from the French, and the French are well known for their breads, croissants, and slim figures. Just as Americans eat burgers for fast food, the French have various versions of croque-monsieur. The French croissants contain an incredible amount of fatty butter, heavy cream, and sugar.

But the French are skinny, because their croissants are 1/3rd the size of an American croissant found at your local doughnut shop. They also walk more.

If you don't want to be fat, next time when you buy a croissant or muffin, cut it in half or thirds, eat one piece and give the rest away. At work when I order breakfast pastry platters, I request the store to cut them in halves. For lunch platters, I ask the restaurant to cut the sandwiches in thirds. Americans are brainwashed to "clean their plate" regardless of the amount of food piled on it. But if you put less food on their plate, most will stop there and only a few will go for seconds.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD wrote:
Winston wrote:

First of all, provide some peer reviewed anthropology or archaeology journal articles that state people lived to said ages.

Second of all, I know all of his major points. Hell, I know people that know the guy personally. He is nice by all accounts but zealous and will do anything up to lying to get people off wheat. I have a cousin who suffers from severe chrons disease, which is the only reason I know about any of this shit as much as I do. I read a lot of articles in an attempt to finds something that helped her and came across this dude's work in the process. It's bullshit. Read his sources and you can know for yourself, he has them in his book.
First, see here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20186_6- ... es_p2.html
As for lives being short, while it may be true that the average life expectancy was 35 years, we tend to overlook one very important word there: average. Infant mortality was brutal, since vaccinations against childhood diseases didn't exist yet and medicine was still in its "Here, chew on this root and stick some leeches on your junk" stage. So that skews the average way down. But if a male living in 1500 managed to see his 21st birthday, he was expected to live around 50 more years from that point.
So you see, people in the Middle Ages commonly lived to 70.

Also, our founding fathers, such as George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson, also lived long lives to ripe old ages. They didn't die at 35. You forget that.

How do you know all of his major points? Did you read his book? Or watch his presentations that I linked above? They are irrefutable and compelling. He gives out tons of facts and evidence that makes sense. Where is he wrong exactly?

Why would he lie about wheat?

And if he's wrong, why do so many (including Monkro) say that they lost a lot of weight by following his advice and going off wheat?

How come if you Google "is wheat bad for you" all the hits on all the sites (except for government ones) say that Dr. Davis is right?

Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

HouseMD wrote:
Winston wrote:

Unfortunately, many peer reviewed journals can't really be trusted either. The vast majority of studies out there only prove the opinions that the researchers want proven. They cherry pick results.

As a health care provider, of course I follow them, since my license is on the line if I don't. Do I believe them? Not really.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are grains and wheat really bad for your health and weig

Post by Winston »

I dont get something. If carbs and wheat are so bad for you and cause obesity, then how come in the 1950s and 1960s, Americans ate lots of pancakes, breads, sandwiches and burgers all the time, yet they were thin and height weight proportionate? How do you explain that? There must be something else going on here. Perhaps something unseen and undetectable.

In the 1800s, pancakes were called "flapjacks" and were considered good food. Not bad for you at all.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are grains and wheat really bad for your health and weig

Post by Winston »

Some responses I received.

Mr S:

"The wheat we eat today was genetically modified in the 60s to grow shorter and faster so farmers could make more money. In doing so it modified the genetic structure so that human bodies can't process it well and it's not as nutrient dense. As that crop slowly replaced original wheat crops, that's why Westerners started putting on more and more weight each decade. It didn't start to be fully noticeable until the 80s though, as you can tell by old movies and TV shows from 60s, 70s,80, 90s and 00s to make comparisons on how people used to look. You can look up more info about it on the internet."

Monkro:

"Wheat was different back then. It has been mutated by agribusiness for profits. It's not GMO but even worse than GMO."

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are carbs, grains, wheat really bad for your health/weig

Post by Winston »

This article explains why low carb diets are best. All scientific studies seem to support this, and reveal that low carb diets work whereas low fat diets do not. So why then does the US government continue to advocate low fat diets rather than low carb diets? That's odd. Why doesn't the US government update their recommendations with that of progressive thinkers and nutritionists?

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many ... se-weight/

This article addresses how much protein we need.

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-much ... n-per-day/

How vegetarians can get enough protein.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/where-vege ... t-protein/