Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Are carbs, grains, wheat really bad for your health/weight?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 25969
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Are carbs, grains, wheat really bad for your health/weight?

Post by Winston » July 6th, 2013, 11:16 am

I don't get something. Mainstream doctors and nutritionists tell us that whole grains are good for you and provide fiber and nutrients. But those in holistic alternative health say the opposite and make some good arguments about why we are not naturally suited to digest grains - which includes wheat, bread, pasta, rice, cookies, crackers, oats, etc.

They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Check out these articles that make some good points:

http://wellnessmama.com/575/how-grains- ... ou-slowly/

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

http://nourishedkitchen.com/against-the ... up-grains/

What do you all think? Any of you have experience with this?

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
Last edited by Winston on January 3rd, 2014, 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

See my HA Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 25969
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Post by Winston » July 7th, 2013, 6:31 am

Check out this documentary called "Fat Head" that supports the claims of the Atkins Diet and Paleo Diet. At the beginning, he debunks the "Supersize Me" documentary as flawed, and goes on to prove the opposite. The narrator eats a moderate sized meal at McDonald's everyday while exercising by walking a lot. He then loses a few pounds after a few weeks.

Then he goes on to explain, with clips from many health experts, why our notions about fat and carbs are wrong, and why high cholesterol is not unhealthy, and why grains and carbs are treated as sugar by the body and turned into stored fat, while real fat is burned immediately as energy. He also explained that calorie counting is oversimplistic, and that the key is in what the body DOES with the calories, not in how many calories it receives. Do you think he's right?


Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

See my HA Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » July 7th, 2013, 9:04 am

Anything that is processed and not grown will make you fat and or sick, because it is either packed with preservatives, chemicals, sugar, salt or flavour enhancers like MSG.

The key to eating healthy is don't eat anything with a TV Comercial, meaning anything that has to be pushed by advertising and anything that sits on a grocery shelf for months & years & survivies armageddon, is not Food!

Real food is perishable after a few days. It goes bad because it dies. The foods nicely packacked in the grocery store, it's already dead so it never goes bad.

People treat their cars better than they treat themselves; best gas, deisel & oil. Then we go feed ourself trash. We pay to eat food that poisions us. WTF world.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4621
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Re: Are grains, wheat, oats really bad for your health?

Post by Taco » July 7th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Winston wrote: They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
I've had some personal experience with subject. Wheat definitely makes me feel sick while corn, oatmeal and rice I can tolerate fairly well. Going on a wheat free diet is extremely difficult I find, its in almost all processed food. Ironically, wheat is called the "staff of life". My dad's last meal before he died of a heart attack was my mom's lasagna. Keeping people sick is just one way the government stays in power and bleeds your bank account dry while you fight the symptoms of chronic wheat poisoning with prescription drugs.

In ancient times, when people were running around in hunter, gatherer tribes all they had to eat was raw leafy plants and meat, that's how humans evolved. Humans did not evolve eating breakfast cereal, sandwiches and pizza that's why 70% of Americans are on prescription drugs.

One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarters keeps your doctor alive. (Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb.)

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4621
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Post by Taco » July 7th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Wheat consumption is also linked to mental illness.

Wheat Autism Link
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/new-stud ... ink_072013

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6113
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Post by Adama » July 8th, 2013, 3:12 am

Their real argument is that grains contain substances called "anti-nutrients." These are defense mechanisms built in to the grains to protect them from being eaten by animals. It's an adaptation.

If a person has an underlying condition such as multiple sclerosis or other similar diseases, it is argued that these anti nutrients can enter the blood stream undigested and start a chain reaction that is detrimental to the health of the person. (They have a way of getting through the intestines intact.)

I dont think rice is a known offender. Corn, legumes (beans), tomatoes, eggplants and grains are on the list though.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 25969
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Post by Winston » July 8th, 2013, 4:57 am

Renata wrote:Anything that is processed and not grown will make you fat and or sick, because it is either packed with preservatives, chemicals, sugar, salt or flavour enhancers like MSG.

The key to eating healthy is don't eat anything with a TV Comercial, meaning anything that has to be pushed by advertising and anything that sits on a grocery shelf for months & years & survivies armageddon, is not Food!

Real food is perishable after a few days. It goes bad because it dies. The foods nicely packacked in the grocery store, it's already dead so it never goes bad.

People treat their cars better than they treat themselves; best gas, deisel & oil. Then we go feed ourself trash. We pay to eat food that poisions us. WTF world.
That's a great guideline Renata. So do you eat any grains? Are all grains bad for you, or just the refined ones?

Aren't grains from plants? Aren't they natural?

Taco, the problem with that argument is that:

- Primitive people did not eat meat everyday. Hunting is not easy. They only ate it when they got lucky in hunting, which was not everyday.
- There is no proof that humans existed during cavemen days. The oldest recorded history is in Sumeria. Before that, history is blank. The Neanderthal man and other hominid fossils don't have a single human bone in them, so it's not proven that we descended from them. So we can't really know how long humans have been hunting and eating meat.
Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

See my HA Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4621
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Post by Taco » July 8th, 2013, 5:56 am

Winston wrote:
Renata wrote:Anything that is processed and not grown will make you fat and or sick, because it is either packed with preservatives, chemicals, sugar, salt or flavour enhancers like MSG.

The key to eating healthy is don't eat anything with a TV Comercial, meaning anything that has to be pushed by advertising and anything that sits on a grocery shelf for months & years & survivies armageddon, is not Food!

Real food is perishable after a few days. It goes bad because it dies. The foods nicely packacked in the grocery store, it's already dead so it never goes bad.

People treat their cars better than they treat themselves; best gas, deisel & oil. Then we go feed ourself trash. We pay to eat food that poisions us. WTF world.
That's a great guideline Renata. So do you eat any grains? Are all grains bad for you, or just the refined ones?

Aren't grains from plants? Aren't they natural?

Taco, the problem with that argument is that:

- Primitive people did not eat meat everyday. Hunting is not easy. They only ate it when they got lucky in hunting, which was not everyday.
- There is no proof that humans existed during cavemen days. The oldest recorded history is in Sumeria. Before that, history is blank. The Neanderthal man and other hominid fossils don't have a single human bone in them, so it's not proven that we descended from them. So we can't really know how long humans have been hunting and eating meat.
Your probably right about the meat except in extreme northern climates like Siberia, Alaska and Northern Canada, that's all there is to eat in the winter. However, people would have evolved with other animal sources of protein like eggs, milk and fish in warmer climates.

This chart helps explain why I feel like shit when I was eating a lot of coconuts and nuts everyday.

Phytic Acid Levels
http://chriskresser.com/another-reason- ... ts-on-nuts

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » July 8th, 2013, 9:21 am

Winston wrote:
Renata wrote:Anything that is processed and not grown will make you fat and or sick, because it is either packed with preservatives, chemicals, sugar, salt or flavour enhancers like MSG.

The key to eating healthy is don't eat anything with a TV Comercial, meaning anything that has to be pushed by advertising and anything that sits on a grocery shelf for months & years & survivies armageddon, is not Food!

Real food is perishable after a few days. It goes bad because it dies. The foods nicely packacked in the grocery store, it's already dead so it never goes bad.

People treat their cars better than they treat themselves; best gas, deisel & oil. Then we go feed ourself trash. We pay to eat food that poisions us. WTF world.
That's a great guideline Renata. So do you eat any grains? Are all grains bad for you, or just the refined ones?

Aren't grains from plants? Aren't they natural?

Taco, the problem with that argument is that:

- Primitive people did not eat meat everyday. Hunting is not easy. They only ate it when they got lucky in hunting, which was not everyday.
- There is no proof that humans existed during cavemen days. The oldest recorded history is in Sumeria. Before that, history is blank. The Neanderthal man and other hominid fossils don't have a single human bone in them, so it's not proven that we descended from them. So we can't really know how long humans have been hunting and eating meat.
I eat rice sometimes. I grew up eating rice everyday when I was little, many differernt kinds. The brown & white rice we eat now is a natural mutant variation of what rice really is, which is black long grains, not the short white grains. https://www.google.com.tr/search?hl=tr& ... Sv_G8kcVxw
I eat peas & beans but the fresh kind from the pods. I eat the dried ones when I can't get the fresh ones, they taste nothing like the real deal. No bread, no pasta, no roti, I use flour only if I have to make a cake, that's on occasion. I used to make brown whole wheat bread from ground wheat, but I stopped.

The great thing about food is that there's a better replacement for everything that we love, here's my list of foods that I have stopped eating & replaced with better stuff ... always repalce bad foods with good foods you love, never force yourself to est stuff you don't like.
Old foods > New alternatives
Rice > quinoa
Dried pes & beans > fresh peas & beans
Bread /pizza base > Protien pancakes (recipe in the ladies forum; made of rice & split peas)
Sugar > fruit juices & bee honey (I sweeten my green tea with juiced apples, juiced cane or bee honey)
Garlic Butter > olive oil & coconut oil (I stir fry minced garlic into coconut oil & get garlic butter)
Butter > avocado or hummus or minced mint & tomatoes
Milk > coconut milk/almond milk/cashew milk
Coke & sodas > juiced vegetable & fruit juices (varieties are endless)
Cheese > Milk kurds (Add lemon to boiling milk, stir & strain to get kurds)
Red meat > sea food
Table salt > sea salt / pink hymalayan salt
Processed spices with MSG & boullion cubes > fresh green herbs grown in plant pots
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

User avatar
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2290
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » July 8th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Renata wrote:Anything that is processed and not grown will make you fat and or sick, because it is either packed with preservatives, chemicals, sugar, salt or flavour enhancers like MSG.

The key to eating healthy is don't eat anything with a TV Comercial, meaning anything that has to be pushed by advertising and anything that sits on a grocery shelf for months & years & survivies armageddon, is not Food!

Real food is perishable after a few days. It goes bad because it dies. The foods nicely packacked in the grocery store, it's already dead so it never goes bad.

People treat their cars better than they treat themselves; best gas, deisel & oil. Then we go feed ourself trash. We pay to eat food that poisions us. WTF world.
That is so true. That is so true. +∞
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB

User avatar
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2290
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Re: Are grains, wheat, oats really bad for your health?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » July 8th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Taco wrote:
Winston wrote: They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
I've had some personal experience with subject. Wheat definitely makes me feel sick while corn, oatmeal and rice I can tolerate fairly well. Going on a wheat free diet is extremely difficult I find, its in almost all processed food. Ironically, wheat is called the "staff of life". My dad's last meal before he died of a heart attack was my mom's lasagna. Keeping people sick is just one way the government stays in power and bleeds your bank account dry while you fight the symptoms of chronic wheat poisoning with prescription drugs.

In ancient times, when people were running around in hunter, gatherer tribes all they had to eat was raw leafy plants and meat, that's how humans evolved. Humans did not evolve eating breakfast cereal, sandwiches and pizza that's why 70% of Americans are on prescription drugs.

One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarters keeps your doctor alive. (Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb.)
As much as I have been getting on you for the conspiracy theories, you have my belated condolences on your dad, man.
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4777
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Post by momopi » July 8th, 2013, 8:29 pm

For those who use Olive Oil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil_ ... ulteration

(When in doubt, buy at Costco, but watch out for expiration date)


Humans have been eating grains for thousands of years, however that does not mean they ate fluffy white rice as seen in "The Last Samurai". In ye olde days when my grandparents lived in Manchuria, the weather was unsuited for rice cultivation so they ate a variety of grains and wheat products. My babysitter in Taiwan was originally from Manchuria and I have bad flashbacks of being fed steamed corn buns 5 days a week. Anyways, it's a bit ironic that back then folks thought eating rice was a luxury, and poorer folks ate mixed grains. But today the mixed grains is being sold as healthy organic alternative to plain white rice.

Image
Last edited by momopi on July 8th, 2013, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » July 8th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Soon I'll start eating the bark off trees lol ... there's so much info flying around about food, like pink slamon which I would eat everyday if given the chance. Ther's been a few articles about them growing in captivity & being fed pink pellets so they'll get that fresh alaska colour ... not sure what to believe anymore. I try to grow what I can.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4777
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Post by momopi » July 8th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Renata wrote:Soon I'll start eating the bark off trees lol ... there's so much info flying around about food, like pink slamon which I would eat everyday if given the chance. Ther's been a few articles about them growing in captivity & being fed pink pellets so they'll get that fresh alaska colour ... not sure what to believe anymore. I try to grow what I can.

Google "Salmon Fan". Well, salmon gets their pink color from shrimp naturally, so farm raised salmon needs pink dye. LoL.

You can buy "wild caught" salmon at higher prices at Costco and Whole Foods. Whole Foods pay a premium price for line-caught fish (gently handled) from Alaska that has not been damaged by net. They learned from Japanese buyers.

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » July 8th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Momopi there's no costco or whole foods in Turkey, just the local fisherman & I've noticed the pink slamon comes packed in ice to him from a truck. He does have a large aquarium with live fish, so I tend to stick to that. Here isn't bad when it comes to getting great food but there's some things I miss, like young coconut water & coconut jelly etc etc.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Health, Fitness, Nutrition, Food”