Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

What is more likely? That everyone is insulin resistant, celiac, and has various metabolic disorders? Or that everyone sits around at home all day, watches TV, eats TV dinners with lots of crap in them, and then become fat?

I'm willing to say some people may have legitimate problems with grains, celiac is a real disorder, etc, but I think the whole low carb dieting trend is absurd, and is probably done by said evil grain industries to get you to buy more grain. Because guess what? Most grain produced goes to feed animals.

Anyway, I'm willing to conclude that grains are not the cause of obesity as grains and starches were the most predominant foods in people's diets besides in Siberia/Alaska/etc and 1/3 of the population was not obese. All the poor Chinese folks nowadays eat grains. Again, it's POSSIBLE you may have a metabolic disorder that makes carbohydrates harder to metabolize/etc, if so, get actual tests done and figure out if it's so instead of reading some article and self diagnosing yourself with crap. Generally with diabetes, also, it's related to stress. Cortisol affects most of your hormonal axis, and cortisol will mess with blood sugar levels.

Anyway, I'm saying this all, because at my peak trying to eat lower carb/eating high amounts of meat/fat, I was 195lbs, felt like shit, and drank a gazillion cups of coffee daily. Why? No carbs? I went up from 180 to 195 with that stupid diet. Now, basically eating whatever the f**k, and staying relatively low fat (usually under 30% of calories) I've dropped down to 176 at a way lower bodyfat eating only like 80-90g of protein a day. I eat probably about half a box of pasta day now, easily.

As far as why Americans are fat. Well... we don't use plates. Here's an example.

Those are some random Asian noodles I cooked up. Nonfried ones. I threw some cabbage, dandelions, tofu, whatever in. That's like 400 calories.

Meanwhile, 400 calories at McDonalds is a single dollar menu sandwich. Which is gonna satiate you more, be more nutritious, take more time to eat, etc?

But no, I don't think there's some mega conspiracy with grains.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/09/world ... atoes.html

For an example. Oh man, those poor OVERWEIGHT Soviet commoners. Gosh, they need more meat and fat in their diet and less grains and carbs. Whatever.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

what the f**k......

grains are good things to eat. it's only the ones that have shit in them that are unhealthy. just look at the mediterranean diet. it has a lot of wheat in it, yet it's considered one of the healthiest diets out there. if wheat was so bad, then human civilization would not have adopted using wheats to eat as we became agricultural people.

winston, who the hell do you hangout with who make such absurd claims?
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

AnonymousAmerican wrote:what the f**k......

grains are good things to eat. it's only the ones that have shit in them that are unhealthy. just look at the mediterranean diet. it has a lot of wheat in it, yet it's considered one of the healthiest diets out there. if wheat was so bad, then human civilization would not have adopted using wheats to eat as we became agricultural people.
The adoption of agriculture brought with it a whole host of associated pathologies. Humans appear to have been much healthier as hunter-gatherers.
http://discovermagazine.com/1987/may/02 ... duXCD4pb68
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

http://anthonycolpo.com/interview-robb- ... addiction/

One of the originators of "Paleo" sharing his thoughts on basically why he was for the most part, wrong.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

onethousandknives wrote:What is more likely? That everyone is insulin resistant, celiac, and has various metabolic disorders? Or that everyone sits around at home all day, watches TV, eats TV dinners with lots of crap in them, and then become fat?

I'm willing to say some people may have legitimate problems with grains, celiac is a real disorder, etc, but I think the whole low carb dieting trend is absurd, and is probably done by said evil grain industries to get you to buy more grain. Because guess what? Most grain produced goes to feed animals.

Anyway, I'm willing to conclude that grains are not the cause of obesity as grains and starches were the most predominant foods in people's diets besides in Siberia/Alaska/etc and 1/3 of the population was not obese. All the poor Chinese folks nowadays eat grains. Again, it's POSSIBLE you may have a metabolic disorder that makes carbohydrates harder to metabolize/etc, if so, get actual tests done and figure out if it's so instead of reading some article and self diagnosing yourself with crap. Generally with diabetes, also, it's related to stress. Cortisol affects most of your hormonal axis, and cortisol will mess with blood sugar levels.

Anyway, I'm saying this all, because at my peak trying to eat lower carb/eating high amounts of meat/fat, I was 195lbs, felt like shit, and drank a gazillion cups of coffee daily. Why? No carbs? I went up from 180 to 195 with that stupid diet. Now, basically eating whatever the f**k, and staying relatively low fat (usually under 30% of calories) I've dropped down to 176 at a way lower bodyfat eating only like 80-90g of protein a day. I eat probably about half a box of pasta day now, easily.

As far as why Americans are fat. Well... we don't use plates. Here's an example.

Those are some random Asian noodles I cooked up. Nonfried ones. I threw some cabbage, dandelions, tofu, whatever in. That's like 400 calories.

Meanwhile, 400 calories at McDonalds is a single dollar menu sandwich. Which is gonna satiate you more, be more nutritious, take more time to eat, etc?

But no, I don't think there's some mega conspiracy with grains.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/09/world ... atoes.html

For an example. Oh man, those poor OVERWEIGHT Soviet commoners. Gosh, they need more meat and fat in their diet and less grains and carbs. Whatever.
Nice plate! I would replace the tofu though with something else like mushrooms :P
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I have some questions:

1. Are nuts, peanuts, cashews and almonds considered carbs or vegetables? Are they fattening? Do they have protein, carbs or fat?

2. If pasta and bread are carbs and make you fat, then how are the French able to eat all that French bread and baguettes yet remain thin? And how are Italians able to eat all that pasta and able to remain thin?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

Winston wrote:I have some questions:

1. Are nuts, peanuts, cashews and almonds considered carbs or vegetables? Are they fattening? Do they have protein, carbs or fat?

2. If pasta and bread are carbs and make you fat, then how are the French able to eat all that French bread and baguettes yet remain thin? And how are Italians able to eat all that pasta and able to remain thin?
1. they are fattening as they have a lot of fat thus a lot of calories

2. They dont overeat... Which is the one and only reason for obesity
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

people who ate 500 calories per day from peanuts for 19 weeks
so you have to eat lots of peanuts EVERYDAY FOR 19 WEEKS just to get a 10% higher metabolism? and this makes sense how? if you just avoid these 500 calories a day you will have saved 66.500 calories.

nuts are not bad dont get me wrong but they are not something you should eat if you want to lose weight...

again there is no easy way to losing weight...you need to reduce the amount you eat and/or start burning more energy by doing sports, working, etc.

i don´t believe in anything else...too much money can be made with diet guide books and diet products in general. if everybody just told you the truth they wouldn´t make any money as the truth is: eat less, work out more. this requires discipline so people are looking for short-cuts, too bad that none of them work.

nuts might be better than other food but the best thing would be to just not eat them and dont replace them with something else...this will be the most efficient way to lose weight.
FinnMonash
Freshman Poster

Post by FinnMonash »

Who said grains are bad for our health I think these are the ingredients where we can get lots of carbohydrates, proteins, sugar, fat and all other things from them and tell you what these are essential contents to nourish the sperms present in semen and helps to increase libido which is most required for increasing sexual desire.
firethrower1000
Freshman Poster

hey winston

Post by firethrower1000 »

whole grains,oat bran, nuts,seeds and beans have something called phytic acid and is considered an anti nutrient which can cause teeth and bone problems

ramiel nagel explains it in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8hnmyBoUgE
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

momopi wrote:For those who use Olive Oil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil_ ... ulteration

(When in doubt, buy at Costco, but watch out for expiration date)

Humans have been eating grains for thousands of years, however that does not mean they ate fluffy white rice as seen in "The Last Samurai". In ye olde days when my grandparents lived in Manchuria, the weather was unsuited for rice cultivation so they ate a variety of grains and wheat products. My babysitter in Taiwan was originally from Manchuria and I have bad flashbacks of being fed steamed corn buns 5 days a week. Anyways, it's a bit ironic that back then folks thought eating rice was a luxury, and poorer folks ate mixed grains. But today the mixed grains is being sold as healthy organic alternative to plain white rice.

thousands of yrs?and?grains did not appear until agriculture.wich is unnatural for humans.I guess you'll argue how monarchy and money are natural ways of living and rulership.and ignore the fact our paleolithic ancestors are anarchists and didn't have currency.

thing is after agriculture human society changed from anarchistic hunters to town dwelling wich allowed for complex hierarchichal and economical structures.

Agriculture not only ruinrd the good health of humans,also our way of life.

1000s of yrs vs millions of yrs of evolution.hmmmmmmm...

Besides the biochemistry clearly says grains are shit food.Biochemistry trumps any argument from ''history''.
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

Yes winston,grain is SHIT food.manmade.hybridized shit.

real food=raw green vegetables and animal fats and meat.

fruit is SHIT.its also hybridized.real fruits are bitter,thorny or have hard shells that are not possible to break without tools.Wild fruits are rarely edible and if they are, are not sustainable to survive off of in long term terms.fruit is basically sugar.

most ''food''today is a result of selective breeding over 1000s of yrs.Totally worthless.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Monkro told me that the real culprit of fat in America is wheat. He said that when he eliminated wheat from his diet, his belly shrank by 60 percent. Last time I saw him, his belly looked very flat. He recommended I read a book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.

Is that true? What do you think? Have you heard of this before? Why isn't this being discussed on the major media?

Well actually, CBS did a report on it. See below.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/modern-whea ... ctor-says/
Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says

(CBS News) Modern wheat is a "perfect, chronic poison," according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world's most popular grain.

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s," he said on "CBS This Morning." "This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there's a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It's not gluten. I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

Asked if the farming industry could change back to the grain it formerly produced, Davis said it could, but it would not be economically feasible because it yields less per acre. However, Davis said a movement has begun with people turning away from wheat - and dropping substantial weight.

"If three people lost eight pounds, big deal," he said. "But we're seeing hundreds of thousands of people losing 30, 80, 150 pounds. Diabetics become no longer diabetic; people with arthritis having dramatic relief. People losing leg swelling, acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, depression, and on and on every day."

To avoid these wheat-oriented products, Davis suggests eating "real food," such as avocados, olives, olive oil, meats, and vegetables. "(It's) the stuff that is least likely to have been changed by agribusiness," he said. "Certainly not grains. When I say grains, of course, over 90 percent of all grains we eat will be wheat, it's not barley... or flax. It's going to be wheat.

"It's really a wheat issue."

Some health resources, such as the Mayo Clinic, advocate a more balanced diet that does include wheat. But Davis said on "CTM" they're just offering a poor alternative.

"All that literature says is to replace something bad, white enriched products with something less bad, whole grains, and there's an apparent health benefit - 'Let's eat a whole bunch of less bad things.' So I take...unfiltered cigarettes and replace with Salem filtered cigarettes, you should smoke the Salems. That's the logic of nutrition, it's a deeply flawed logic. What if I take it to the next level, and we say, 'Let's eliminate all grains,' what happens then?

"That's when you see, not improvements in health, that's when you see transformations in health."
How can you avoid wheat though? Isn't it almost in everything?