Wild meat

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Wild meat

Post by Renata »

I never ate red meat, like beef & sheep but I have a liking for wild meat / hunted meat, this must be the primitive side of me.
Gator is hands down my favourite wild meat, I think this guy exports the meat.

Didn't knoe people in the US ate wild meat :o

- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Does gator have a fishy taste to it?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

It's a white meat, really lean, the tail has a different texture to the body. It doesn't taste or smell like fish, it's more of a crab/lobster & eel taste but the meat has a tough texture like eel. This meat the taste varies based on the preparation & how it's cooked. Sometimes it can taste kind of like crab flavoured chicken when fried.

I like shark too, it has no annoying bones & it tastes like any other fish. I love seafood.

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Taco wrote:Does gator have a fishy taste to it?
I hate crocodile in Thailand--and it was terrible!; too gamey, chewy and weird tasting for me.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

zboy1 wrote:
I hate crocodile in Thailand--and it was terrible!; too gamey, chewy and weird tasting for me.
Now there's an honest answer. Might explain why you don't see in restaurants much.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

zboy1 wrote:
Crocodile, Alligator & Cayman look similar but taste different. Cros & Alligators have musk glands & if you cut it the taste & texture changes & tends to taste gamey & with a pungent smell. They should have skinned it, & cut the meat off. Stay clear of the throat & never puncture the stomach just discard that with the bones. Asians are nitorious for not wasting meat so they must have just cooked it all :o

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Renata wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Crocodile, Alligator & Cayman look similar but taste different. Cros & Alligators have musk glands & if you cut it the taste & texture changes & tends to taste gamey & with a pungent smell. They should have skinned it, & cut the meat off. Stay clear of the throat & never puncture the stomach just discard that with the bones. Asians are nitorious for not wasting meat so they must have just cooked it all :o
Hmnnn...maybe that was why it was so gamey and nasty. I guess I didn't taste the 'real' alligator meat.

And, yeah, Asians don't waste anything--even intestines, stomach and bones...(Yuck!)
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Bones too :shock: what can you do with bones, stir the pot like a caveman? :lol:

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Renata wrote:Bones too :shock: what can you do with bones, stir the pot like a caveman? :lol:
Asians make soup out of bones; and also, in places like China, they sometimes leave the bones on the meat--which is quite annoying to eat sometimes. ...
johnponting74
Freshman Poster

Post by johnponting74 »

It's simple to provide, when you know what it's like to have nothing.
Our dentist in Cancun provide superior quality dental care at affordable prices. Our highly trained bilingual Cancun dentist have extensive experience
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:Asians make soup out of bones; and also, in places like China, they sometimes leave the bones on the meat--which is quite annoying to eat sometimes. ...
Chinese chew fish with the bones in it and then slowly spit/dribble the bones and other residue onto the table in front of them. Fairly gross IMO.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Never had alligator or crocodile, but did have iguana stew while in Panama. If I hadn't known it was iguana, I'd swear it was chicken. Actually, it wasn't bad.

While in Okinawa, I once had Habu. The meat reminded me of rattlesnake. Then there's unagi, one of my favorites.

That's about as adventurous I ever got. While in Thailand, didn't have the guts to try monkey brains.

The diversity of wild, esoteric (by western standards) meat in Asia is amazing.