Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

How do you get rid of a pot belly that won't go away?!

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

HouseMD
Experienced Poster

Re: How do you get rid of a pot belly that won't go away?!

Post by HouseMD » June 11th, 2018, 9:00 pm

MrMan wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 8:24 am
Winston wrote:
June 12th, 2017, 9:26 pm
He also says the reason Europeans are thinner is because their farm soil is still rich with nutrients whereas Americas farm soil is badly lacking in nutrients.

Check him out below. He looks great and healthy for his age. Great speaker too. He looks like Rock. Lol
This doesn't make sense to me. Would more nutritious soil really make people thinner? Europeans tend to be against GMOs. I suspect the weight difference may have something to do with Americans eating a lot of processed foods. I had some French students. They learn to eat quality, balanced meals and eat their vegetables from a young age. Americans shove burgers in their faces. People in the cities ride trains and have to walk a long way from the train to their offices.
It's a combo of smaller portions, higher activity, and processed foods. Processing makes the energy content of food more rapidly available, resulting in rapid conversion to fat due to excess energy levels.

Once you are fat it is difficult to lose weight because fat cells release hunger triggering hormones when emery reserves are low, plus they convert testosterone to estrogen, which promotes fat storage. Finally, your central metabolic setpoint gradually adjusts to higher caloric intake and will put your body in a low metabolism starvation state where protein is burned and fat is spared if you maintain excess for too long them diet.

retiredfrank
Junior Poster

Post by retiredfrank » June 12th, 2018, 4:00 am

The way to get around metabolic changes associated with being fat is to water fast. After 3 days fading, growth hormone skyrockets to protect muscle. A healthy (no medications) but fat person should be able to fast at least 2 weeks without problems. Longer term fasting runs the risk of electrolyte shortages, especially magnesium, so should be done under medical supervision. Water fasting is the easiest way to get weight off, as well as the fastest obviously. You should fast until a six pack is visible, because it is easier to maintain a very lean body than one that is slightly overweight, due to metabolic issues.

The problem is maintaining the new weight after the fast is complete. what you then have to do is maintain the new weight by sheer willpower for another 6 months or more until the set point comes down. Water fasting every other day might be a way to do this during this period, since you will almost surely overeat the other days due to set point still being high. Finally, eating once a day is the effortless way to maintain a low weight once a new set point is established, assuming you eat lots of bulky foods so hard to overeat at that one meal.

In practice, exercise has essentially no effect on body fat composition, though is a good idea anyway to reduce risk of old age frailty.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao » June 13th, 2018, 12:43 pm

I've lost 5 Kg after 2 semesters of teaching. That's amazing since I'm not a landwhale, just overweight. But I'd need to combine that with some gym work to get some abs.

My success story has been to not sit down in class. I never take the elevator either (not that we have many).

Also I'm starting to realise the #1 thing to remove from the diet is cans of soda.

If you want more motivation, a friend of a friend has dropped dead in his mid 40's. He was like 150 Kg or something. Jeez, that's two of me!
I quit my boring cubicle slave job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Want to teach English overseas? Check out my TEFL blog.
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then join my free Asian dating site.