How do you get rid of a pot belly that won't go away?!

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: How do you get rid of a pot belly that won't go away?!

Post by HouseMD »

MrMan wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 12:24 am
Winston wrote:
June 12th, 2017, 1:26 pm
He also says the reason Europeans are thinner is because their farm soil is still rich with nutrients whereas Americas farm soil is badly lacking in nutrients.

Check him out below. He looks great and healthy for his age. Great speaker too. He looks like Rock. Lol
This doesn't make sense to me. Would more nutritious soil really make people thinner? Europeans tend to be against GMOs. I suspect the weight difference may have something to do with Americans eating a lot of processed foods. I had some French students. They learn to eat quality, balanced meals and eat their vegetables from a young age. Americans shove burgers in their faces. People in the cities ride trains and have to walk a long way from the train to their offices.
It's a combo of smaller portions, higher activity, and processed foods. Processing makes the energy content of food more rapidly available, resulting in rapid conversion to fat due to excess energy levels.

Once you are fat it is difficult to lose weight because fat cells release hunger triggering hormones when emery reserves are low, plus they convert testosterone to estrogen, which promotes fat storage. Finally, your central metabolic setpoint gradually adjusts to higher caloric intake and will put your body in a low metabolism starvation state where protein is burned and fat is spared if you maintain excess for too long them diet.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

The way to get around metabolic changes associated with being fat is to water fast. After 3 days fading, growth hormone skyrockets to protect muscle. A healthy (no medications) but fat person should be able to fast at least 2 weeks without problems. Longer term fasting runs the risk of electrolyte shortages, especially magnesium, so should be done under medical supervision. Water fasting is the easiest way to get weight off, as well as the fastest obviously. You should fast until a six pack is visible, because it is easier to maintain a very lean body than one that is slightly overweight, due to metabolic issues.

The problem is maintaining the new weight after the fast is complete. what you then have to do is maintain the new weight by sheer willpower for another 6 months or more until the set point comes down. Water fasting every other day might be a way to do this during this period, since you will almost surely overeat the other days due to set point still being high. Finally, eating once a day is the effortless way to maintain a low weight once a new set point is established, assuming you eat lots of bulky foods so hard to overeat at that one meal.

In practice, exercise has essentially no effect on body fat composition, though is a good idea anyway to reduce risk of old age frailty.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've lost 5 Kg after 2 semesters of teaching. That's amazing since I'm not a landwhale, just overweight. But I'd need to combine that with some gym work to get some abs.

My success story has been to not sit down in class. I never take the elevator either (not that we have many).

Also I'm starting to realise the #1 thing to remove from the diet is cans of soda.

If you want more motivation, a friend of a friend has dropped dead in his mid 40's. He was like 150 Kg or something. Jeez, that's two of me!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Hey Winston, why don't you try steak only for a week?

Although this guy didn't lose weight but he did lose fat and became "ripped". You should try it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. I may have found the reason for my obesity. Apparently, beta blockers like atenolol (which I've been taking since 2003) cause weight gain and decrease your body's ability to lose weight and slows your metabolism too! Maybe that's how I became gradually fatter since I first began taking beta blockers? Since then I have gained weight steadily. So I wonder if the beta blockers are the culprit? If so, should I just quit them no matter the consequences? See below:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bloo ... 2T20110311
In the new study, Australian researchers found that among more than 11,400 adults with high blood pressure and/or diabetes, those on beta-blockers weighed more, on average, and had larger waistlines.

And in a separate look at 30 patients with high blood pressure, they found that people on beta-blockers generally burned fewer calories and fat after a meal — measured by a device called a calorimeter.

The patients on beta blockers also reported lower physical activity levels in their day-to-day lives. (Beta blockers are suspected of curbing people’s physical activity because the drugs slow the heart rate and may cause people to tire more easily.)

Together, the findings suggest that beta blockers lead to weight gain by curbing people’s calorie expenditure, according to the researchers, led by Dr. Paul Lee of St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney.

In today’s society, where obesity is a general public-health issue, that weight gain is particularly concerning, according to Lee.

“Our hypothesis is that widespread use of beta blockers may fuel the modern-day obesity epidemic,” he told Reuters Health in an email.

On average, Lee’s team found, patients on beta blockers were anywhere from 11 to 37 pounds heavier, depending on the study group.

They found that after a meal, the beta blockers users burned roughly 30 to 50 percent fewer calories and fat.
https://www.heartrhythmdoc.com/beta-blo ... nevitable/
Beta blockers, normally taken for high blood pressure and other heart issues, have been known to cause weight gain in a significant number of patients. According to the Mayo Clinic, the average weight gain that can be directly attributed to the medication is 2 to 4 pounds. So why do so many patients complain about stubborn weight gain, month after month, and a difficulty losing the excess poundage? The answer may lie in the way the drugs affect your body.

Why Does This Happen?

The older types of beta blockers, especially atenalol and metroprolol, cause fat to accumulate in the belly area. This trend begins in the first few months of treatment. The real problem begins with the other reactions the body has. Beta blockers lower metabolic rates, which means you’re burning fewer calories. They calm the body and reduce fidgeting, which can lower your calorie deficit by a couple of hundred a day. Finally, they give a body a feeling of weariness, reducing endurance and the actual desire to exercise.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... q-20058385
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 10:01 am
Hey Winston, why don't you try steak only for a week?

Although this guy didn't lose weight but he did lose fat and became "ripped". You should try it.
You forget a few things:

1. Vegetarians live longer on average than meat eaters. Many studies show this. Yes and that's true even if the oldest people in the world are not vegetarians. The pattern is still there.

2. Vegetarians do not get heart disease and blocked arteries like meat eaters do. Even my friend Rock, who is healthy, works out, in shape and lean, and eats high protein meat everyday, now has heart artery blockage problems and is going back to Taiwan to get surgery to help unclog his arteries. Apparently, even he wasn't aware that this is only a problem for meat eaters. Vegetarians don't get this problem.

3. Being vegetarian raises your mental and spiritual awareness level and consciousness level too. And creativity level as well. Ask any artist, painter, musician, writer, philosopher, etc. They will all tell you that their best work and creativity comes when they do not eat meat, because it allows them to access higher channels of creativity and higher dimensions for inspiration and creativity, which puts them in "the zone". Once that happens, their work becomes automatic. Creativity and new ideas flows through them, as if higher forces were channeling it from above.

Eating meat decreases all of that. When I ate meat, before 1990, I was like a typical nerdy Chinese teen - no ideas, no original thoughts, no ability to think, no ability to write any essays. I just stared at a blank paper and was clueless as to what to write, when I was a meat eater that is. But yes I was a lot thinner as well. However, that may be due to my blood pressure medication (beta blockers) too. See previous post above.

Mr S noticed this too. Even though he's a meat eater, he finds that as his consciousness grows and becomes closer to God and more Christ-like and less materialistic, that he has less desire to eat meat, because eating meat is not in accord with higher states of consciousness. So being vegetarian is better for a spiritual path for sure, as well as a philosopher's path and writer's path, and for mental and spiritual clarity too.

Hope you guys consider all that.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

As I see it according to my research, there are two logical proven ways to lose significant weight if you're fat:

1. Eat only meat, vegetables and seafood. No carbs. Then it's impossible to be fat.

2. Eat the same things you're eating now, only cut the quantity of everything you eat in half. Or at least 40 percent. And only eat until you're not hungry, not until you're full.

Since as a vegetarian I cannot do #1, I have to opt for #2. What do you guys think? Have any of you tried one of the above?

The thing is, my high blood pressure medicine (beta blockers) may be slowing down my metabolism as well, since 2003, and that's how I accumulated so much belly fat. See above links I posted from medical sites that confirm this. So if I stopped taking them, then maybe my metabolism would return to normal?

Also I've been taking human growth hormone (HGH) supplements as well, which have helped a lot. They've increased my metabolism, energy and hormones, and make me feel more youthful and more vitality, the way I felt when I was in my 20's. They've tightened up my muscles as well, and decreased my appetite as well, to make it easier for me to do solution #2 above. Note that this is not HGH directly pumped into your bloodstream (which would not be legal without a doctor's supervision), only herbal supplements to enhance your body's ability to produce it's own natural HGH. For more info, see here, this is the one I've been taking:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Source-Natural ... blets/4615

Mr S and Ladislav have been taking it too, and have noticed some good beneficial results as well.

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I went vegetarian and it lasted 3 months, it actually made me fatter because I ate way to many carbs and cheeses. I eat alot of eggs and have cut my meat intake down a good bit and I do not eat sea food. Diet and exercise and some people actually have lippo suction in certain stubborn areas where they cannot trim down.

If you are vegetarian I am proud of you, we can save the planet and feed everybody with your mind set just don't bring any unwanted children here and maybe mother goddess will forgive you..... :wink:
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This guy makes really good videos about diet and health that make a lot of sense.

Why we get Fat AND Hungry | (Biology of Weight Gain & Low-Carb)

0:00 Fattest city in America
1:34 How to make Fat animals
2:45 History of Low Carb
4:38 Biology of Weight Gain
5:50 Damaging effects of glucose (Glycation & AGE's)
7:18 Why getting Fat means being Hungry
8:45 Striking a Physiological Balance
10:29 We need our Fiber

dancilley
Freshman Poster

Post by dancilley »

People get fat because they eat high-fat foods.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear. This is because the fat you eat is very easily moved from the intestine and into the fat cells, with little energy needed in order for the entire process to occur. Carbs have to be converted to fat, and this process requires a lot of energy, so a lot of the calories you eat as carbs are burned up in the conversion process.

Also, when people eat fat, they usually eat pure, or relatively pure forms of fat, such as oil, butter, cheese, the fat in meat, etc. which are very dense in calories (they have no fiber), so it is easy to eat more calories without feeling as full.

Eat rice, corn, beans, potatoes, vegetables, fruits...if you want to lose weight. Eat as much as you want. Do not eat meat, fish, butter, cheese, oil, and processed foods like potato chips, cake, ice cream, donuts, cookies, etc.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear. I learned all this from John McDougall, M.D. And since I have eaten this way, I have never gained fat ever, since 2007, unless I eat oil, cheese, meat, potato chips, etc.
JOIN MY BRAND NEW FREE SPEECH FORUM EMPHASIZING PURE VIRGIN MARRIAGE: https://dancilley.great-site.net/forum

X/Twitter: https://x.com/DanCilleyLTBLP

YouTube: https://youtube.com/@DanCilley
Daddy Wu
Freshman Poster

Post by Daddy Wu »

Winston! My son!

Daddy tell you why you get fat:

No patience! No discipline!!

You only do eat, eat, EAT!!

Daddy right! Yes?

Yes! Daddy always right! Confess!!

Love,
Your Daddy
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Top app on Google Play store for burning belly fat:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... fatburning

Can I really get a flat belly in 30 days by following those exercises for 10 min a day, like this app says? What's the catch? Is there a disclaimer like "this only works if u do a regular running and weight lifting routine"? Lol. If so i dont see one.

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Christ!

Read up the works of Clarence Bass. Here, a link for you to save you time googling it.

https://www.cbass.com/diet_nutrition.htm

https://www.cbass.com/strengthtraining.htm

Like all great men, he has given his knowledge away for free. You don't even have to pay for it.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Winston wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 4:28 am
Top app on Google Play store for burning belly fat:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... fatburning

Can I really get a flat belly in 30 days by following those exercises for 10 min a day, like this app says? What's the catch? Is there a disclaimer like "this only works if u do a regular running and weight lifting routine"? Lol. If so i dont see one.

No. A belly is a fat deposit.

Abs are 70% diet, the rest is mostly exercise. I don't mean go on a diet, I mean eat clean foods and avoid carbs. Hormone problems can cause obesity. Stress can make losing fat worse. Poor sleep habits too.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Do these fat cavitation devices work for removing fat?

https://www.quora.com/Do-fat-cavitation-machines-work

Here's one on ebay for cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234099153820