What's your best weight loss tip?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What's your best weight loss tip?

Post by fschmidt »

HouseMD wrote:That's literally the dumbest thing you could do. You want to burn fat but keep muscle.
And what makes you think fasting burns muscle? I know from personal experience that it doesn't. I work out during fasts and see no difference in my strength. Doctors, ugh, the worst source of medical advice.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

HouseMd,

Actually, fschmidt does have a point. Far less muscle mass is lost by people who are fasting than people following calorie restricted diets. Google Dr. Krista Varady's work and USC's Valter Longo.

If I remember correctly, the weight typical dieters lose consists of 50% lean mass and 50% fat mass. Exercise will affect this obviously. But fasting individuals conserve much more muscle mass than dieters do.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

gnosis wrote:HouseMd,

Actually, fschmidt does have a point. Far less muscle mass is lost by people who are fasting than people following calorie restricted diets. Google Dr. Krista Varady's work and USC's Valter Longo.

If I remember correctly, the weight typical dieters lose consists of 50% lean mass and 50% fat mass. Exercise will affect this obviously. But fasting individuals conserve much more muscle mass than dieters do.
Both lose muscle. Fasting causes less muscle loss than dieting, but working out with a proper diet and a slight calorie deficit is the overall best (although most difficult) way to keep (and often build, in the untrained) mass while losing fat.
Alyssa21
Freshman Poster

Post by Alyssa21 »

i suggest you Losing weight fast usually involves doing things that are unsustainable such as starving yourself or going on diets that you can't possibly continue for longer than a few weeks.The best thing to do is to change your eating habits. See it as a life long change. You can still pig out every now and then but for 90% of your meals, eat healthy and clean. It'll be hard at first but once you get used to it, it'll be become your new normal eating habit.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Fasting for most (but not all) of the day won't do anything to burn muscle. In fact, that is something I've used numerous times to take off some pounds (fast for most of the day & save most of what I eat for a late dinner- possibly a light lunch before that). Fasting a day or two out of the week (wherever it's scheduled) doesn't burn muscle.

A good trick seems to be making a tea (that you'll need a bit of honey in, or it'll taste horrible) from one tablespoon of ginger & one tablespoon of turmeric. Real simple & it tastes pretty good with honey, in my opinion.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

OK so since Christmas I have lost over half a stone, and it's looking like over 2Kg this month alone. Bear in mind I'm mildly obese (I was 78Kg) - I'm nowhere near some of the huge people who are like two people stuck together.

As a former food scientist (it's what my PhD is in) I should write a diet book but my success is due to:

* It's all about the supermarket. When you go, don't buy anything with sugar in it. Also avoid empty calorie foods - all soft drinks and all snacks like potato chips.
* Aim for a couple of wheat free days a week.
* Eat your lunch early - say 11:30 in the morning.
* Avoid coffee but drink sugar and milk free Chinese green teas and flower teas.
* The first meal of the day must be low GI. Sugar before 2pm is disastrous.
* Eat salmon once a week.
* Stay off fruit - modern apples etc are bred to be very sugary.
* Eat fat and protein. Be wary of carbs.
* Swap wheat noodles for rice noodles.
* Buy higher quality food and eat less of it. I eat expensive gym box lunch things - they're packed with nutrients but they save you money as you don't need to buy junk food. In the evening if I get hungry I eat a Graze box snack.
* Sell your car if you have one and walk everywhere.

Sugar is actually very hard to give up but persist as the headaches will go.

Well that list is rather complicated but if I had to pick one single change that has got my weight loss working it's avoiding potato chips.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Devon
Freshman Poster

Post by Devon »

That's a really good list. I'm eating salmon three to four times a week and it really does the trick. High in good fat and protein - I wouldn't say I enjoy it but it certainly deals to the appetite.
aileensiddiqui
Freshman Poster

Post by aileensiddiqui »

There is only one way if you want to loose some weight is exercise

Always do some Exercise on regular bases and you will take the weight off much faster.
mattiebrown7777
Freshman Poster

Post by mattiebrown7777 »

Best weight loss tricks ever!

1. Never get too hungry
2. Be honest about your daily calorie allowance
3. Eat right post-workout
4. Use the red, orange and green rule
5. Eat one less bite
6. Be a heavy drinker
7. Kick the salt habit
8. Spice up your food
9. Don't think diet soda will help you lose weight
10. Focus on nutrient balance instead of calorie counting

Here's top 10 tricks that can helpful
Is this help full or not.

Yes/No
Last edited by mattiebrown7777 on September 26th, 2016, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattiebrown7777
Freshman Poster

Post by mattiebrown7777 »

My best weight-loss tip: Try new hobbies until you find one that you enjoy more than eating food and watching Netflix.

The two times in my life when I lost a lot of weight was when I found a hobby that got me more excited than eating food and watching TV.
Keep trying new things. Try them for a month and see how it goes. If you love it, great. If you don't, try something else.
Be creative. Be daring. Get out of your comfort zone.
Gabilan33
Freshman Poster

Post by Gabilan33 »

I have had the same issue. I am trying to lose my weight as well. And therefore using an equipment from fitnessgeko called sunny health fitness twist stepper step machine. I'm using this one over 2 months. Yeah, I got the results. I have lost about 3 KGs within 2 months of time. Looks like a good one.

Source: https://fitnessgeko.com/fitness/cardio- ... ne-review/
Baldpacker
Freshman Poster

Post by Baldpacker »

Drinking water and exsersize is the best tip so far. Nutrition comes next. And time - no quick ways which won't harm your health.
Lindsey
Freshman Poster

Post by Lindsey »

Don't torture your body. Eat and drink but reasonably. Don't do the cult of food. Eat when you really feel hungry. Try to eat regularly and with small portions. Eat very slowly. Go to sleep when you feel a little hungry.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

I went from "somewhat pudgy" to "slim" simply doing the following:
1. Eliminated desserts and snacking.
2. Eating very little after after 5pm.
Last edited by CannedHam on April 27th, 2020, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

There are only two ways to lose weight. Here they are:

1. Reduce calorie intake.
2. Burn calories through exercise.

Probably better to start off exercise really slowly and lightly. Then gradually increase intensity, frequency, and duration over a few weeks to a few months.

I used to start off with walking 30-45 minutes daily, progressing on to jogging for 30-45 every other day or daily.

Some people go up to 2 hours a day with the cardio when they really want to get slim. One hour morning, one hour evening.

Results can seem to come very slowly, and the scale is not a good indicator. The fit of clothing is the best indicator for me.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.