The History of Breakfast Cereal in America

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The History of Breakfast Cereal in America

Post by jamesbond »

Here is what a trip to General Mills is like.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I ate almost all those cereals at one time or another when I was a kid, except for the chocolate flavored ones because I don't like chocolate. My favorite cereal was actually just plain old Cheerios or the honey and nut flavored one. I hated raisin bran for the fact they never put enough raisins in and the wheat flakes would always get too soggy. I didn't really like the hard, crunchy cereals like Captain Crunch cause it would tear up the roof of my mouth, plus too sugary. Boo Berry was definitely the best out of the monster cereals. Marshmallow cereals were awesome too as a kid, although too sugary now as an adult. Fruity pebbles was always good too, actually back in the 80's the type of toy or surprise it came with in the box was more important than the cereal half the time!

I stopped eating cereal for the most part after I finished High School, I'd eat it here and there depending on the circumstances. I've since learned that most cereals are not good for you and a waste of money so another reason not to buy them. There are videos where a magnet picks up microscopic iron files, which gives 'Fortified with Iron' another meaning.....
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Mr S wrote:There are videos where a magnet picks up microscopic iron files, which gives 'Fortified with Iron' another meaning.....
Hey that's pretty cool, I hadn't seen that:

Interestingly, we have about 4 grams of iron in our body, mostly in the blood for oxygen exchange.

http://www.irondisorders.org/how-much-i ... -the-body/
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/he ... s_of_iron/

The distrust on the iron in the cereal could be unfounded, i would think we can digest it, with hidrocloric acid in digestion turning it immediately into ionic form at least.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

That's in a bad way mind you...it basically means that the "vitamins and Minerals' they fortify the cereals with are pretty much useless, just junk and fillers.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Honey Smacks was introduced by Post cereal in 1953. It was originally called, Sugar Smacks but the name was changed in 1984 to Honey Smacks.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Monster Cereals are back for the Halloween season.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMX19S6YV6U[/youtube]

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

jamesbond wrote:Monster Cereals are back for the Halloween season.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMX19S6YV6U[/youtube]

James you should make a Wheaties box with Ct. Dracwula :twisted: on the cover, that would be so scary....... The kids would be like :cry:
Time to Hide!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Moretorque wrote:James you should make a Wheaties box with Ct. Dracwula :twisted: on the cover, that would be so scary....... The kids would be like :cry:
How about this? :D

w.p.o.
Freshman Poster

Post by w.p.o. »

I remember seeing a documentary of how cereal came to be. A few guys were trying to make a loaf of bread, but it came out in flakes. They tried again, and the result was the same. Out of curiosity, they wondered what it taste like (figuring it would taste like bread - you know, what they were trying to make). They ate it by itself. They tried it in water. Then they tried it in milk. They all believed it tasted better in milk.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

This would be a good cereal spin off from Frankenberry, it could be called, "The Bride of Frankenberry." :P