My thoughts on Yoga

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
w.p.o.
Freshman Poster

My thoughts on Yoga

Post by w.p.o. »

My motto is: If you didn't sweat, you didn't do $hit. We all heard and used the term 'no sweat.' That insinuates that what ever it was we did took little or no effort at all to accomplish. Speaking of little effort, here are my thoughts on yoga: Too damn easy. If developing an impressive physique is your goal, yoga shouldn't be anywhere near the list. Muscle growth - being a defensive mechanism - requires a certain activity that serves as a threat to the musculatory system. Fat burn occurs when the individual burns more calories than consuming. Therefore, the more strenuous the exercise/activity, the more calories one will burn. Weight lifting, running, biking, hitting the heavy bag and swimming are all that will help improve one's physique. Yoga? Sitting still and standing with a wide stance will do absolutely nothing in terms of improving one's health. We've seen people that do yoga almost everyday (for years) and still look like crap. Hell, I've seen people who've lifted weights, bike and swim who haven't changed (their workouts suck and they don't change their diet). If their mamby pamby workouts aren't enough to alter their appearance, what the hell would yoga do for them?! The people who seem fit that perform yoga more than likely got that way from lifting, biking, swimming and clean diet. Yoga is only popular among the lazy who don't want to sweat or provide any effort into their workouts. You want to meditate? Spend time in the sauna or go home and go to sleep. I guarantee you'll burn the same amount of calories.

Q: Why do people take off their shoes/socks before performing yoga?
A: Yoga goes back to 3000+BC In the regions of india - although other parts of asia performed this ritual as well. During this time in history, there were very very few people (if any at all) who had any footwear. Everyone did everything barefoot. They walked around town barefoot. They went to the markets barefoot. It's pretty damn obvious why the people of asia - particularly india - performed yoga barefoot. THEY HAD NO FOOTWEAR. To this day, people have in their minds that they need to perform yoga in their bare feet. Some, however, keep their socks on. What I find to be strange is people who run on the treadmill or use the stairmaster for a while will come down and remove their shoes and socks to do yoga. I don't know about you, but that's foul to me. I don't care how attractive a woman is, that $hit is foul. So why do people nowadays feel they have to perform yoga barefoot? They either see others do it or they're conditioned to believe that's how the people - who in an era where very few people had footwear - performed yoga (ignorant to history). Here's a tip: The body doesn't know or care whether you're wearing shoes or not. What's the benefit of taking them off? Does it help you burn more calories? No. Then why do it? The body also doesn't care whether your palms are up or down. What is the benefit of connecting your index fingers with your thumbs? Any benefit? No. Why do it?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Re: My thoughts on Yoga

Post by starchild5 »

Yoga clears your lymph nodes...
w.p.o.
Freshman Poster

Post by w.p.o. »

w.p.o. wrote: Yoga? Sitting still and standing with a wide stance will do absolutely nothing in terms of improving one's health.
- In case you missed it the first time
w.p.o.
Freshman Poster

Post by w.p.o. »

100% cranberry juice (does more than benefit the urinary tract) and infrared saunas, along with a healthy diet will help the lymph nodes.