16/8 or 5/2 diet?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

16/8 or 5/2 diet?

Post by xiongmao »

OK I'm back with a new diet... the 16/8 diet. Anyone tried it?

This one is really simple, you just eat in an 8 hour window, then fast for 16 hours. e.g. eat from 12 - 8pm. There are no dietary restrictions.

I had a colleague who did the 5/2 diet (eat anything for 5 days, fast for 2) and he was in good shape.

I've been on the 16/8 for a fortnight now. I'm not sure I'm losing weight (cleaner keeps moving the scales). However I do seem to be in ketosis a lot, so I guess I'm burning fat.

The good news is that my blood sugars seem more stable. I can now go for hours without eating (18 hours is my record) and my overall food consumption seems to be down.

The bad news is keto mouth isn't great. I'm sure this is what the issue is. I've had to go low carb lately as I had some major dental work and eating anything at all was a hassle.

I'm hoping I do better on this one than the low sugar one before. I crashed and burned on that one as I think I've conditioned my brain to associate weight loss with panic. Although I've started to figure out that with these fasting or low carb diets then fruit is good for making sure the liver doesn't run out of glycogen.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: 16/8 or 5/2 diet?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Eat high protein moderate fat mainly animal fat and a lot of complex carbs like roughage like veggies.
Eat meat veggies and copious amounts of water. The warmer the water, the better it aids your digest, the less likely excessive simple carbs will stick.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: 16/8 or 5/2 diet?

Post by fschmidt »

I am close to what you call the 5/2 diet. At the beginning of each week I fast until I reach my target weight which takes between 1 and 4 days. This simple diet keeps my weight stable by definition.