Does wheat bread or brown rice make you fat?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Does wheat bread or brown rice make you fat?

Post by Winston »

Dear all,
One of the reasons why I'm fat, despite being a vegetarian, is that I eat too much carbohydrates, in the form of bread, rice, and popcorn. Also cookies, chips, cake, etc.

Now, we all know that wheat or multi grain bread is better for you than white bread, and brown rice is more nutritious than white rice. So that's what I mostly eat now. But what if I eat too much wheat bread or brown rice? Is that bad for you? Or is it safe to pig out on them?

It seems that the only thing that's safe to pig out on are fruits, vegetables, and maybe saltine crackers, but that's it?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

It's bad to "pig out" on anything, including water. Eat in moderation and not in excess.

White bread, white rice, popcorn, cookies, chips, cakes, etc. are mostly empty calories. Brown rice and whole grain wheat bread provide better nutrition.

Companies like Interstate Bakeries have already stopped producing "Wonder Bread" in Southern California, because white bread is now out of fashion.

Fruits such as apples, cherries, grapes, mangos, pears, pinapple, bananas, etc. contain a lot of sugar and should be eaten in moderation. Meleons, grapefruit, tomato, papayas, plums, apricots, kiwi, etc. contain less sugar.

Too much vegetables is not good because of oxalate, goitrogen, & purines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen

Here's a good web site on healthy foods:
http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
http://whfoods.org/

One of my old ex-GF's bother is a vegetarian, and probably one of the most unhealthy persons I know. He eats fried veggies all the time and is physically huge. Just walking across the parking lot is physically straining for him.

Last edited by momopi on November 9th, 2008, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wuming
Freshman Poster

Post by wuming »

As momopi said, it's not a great idea to "pig out" on anything. While brown rice and whole wheat bread are certainly better than white rice or white bread, eating too much will not only cause short-term "fatness" but long-term health problems. Your waistline is your lifeline - the trimmer the waist, the longer and healthier you'll be. Indeed, the only well-demonstrated way to extend your lifespan is to eat less:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloric_restriction

The other side of the equation is exercise. We all need some regular aerobic exercise, and anaerobic bursts are good too.

If you are serious about improving your health/diet, you must begin by keeping a food log for at least a week, and shine a light on unconscious habits. It's now quite convenient to do this online:

http://thedailyplate.com
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

wuming wrote:As momopi said, it's not a great idea to "pig out" on anything. While brown rice and whole wheat bread are certainly better than white rice or white bread, eating too much will not only cause short-term "fatness" but long-term health problems. Your waistline is your lifeline - the trimmer the waist, the longer and healthier you'll be. Indeed, the only well-demonstrated way to extend your lifespan is to eat less:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloric_restriction
I've often wondered if the 1934 study at Cornell influenced Elijah Muhammad's (Nation of Islam) ideology? His books "How to Eat to Live" is basically "eat less, live longer":

http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/ ... 1index.htm
http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/ ... 2index.htm

Some of his claims are way off the wall, but if the idea of caloric restriction might have been in fashion at the time.

dancilley
Freshman Poster

Re: Does wheat bread or brown rice make you fat?

Post by dancilley »

Winston wrote:
November 7th, 2008, 8:25 am
Dear all,
One of the reasons why I'm fat, despite being a vegetarian, is that I eat too much carbohydrates, in the form of bread, rice, and popcorn. Also cookies, chips, cake, etc.
There is a difference between bread that has no added oil or butter in it, and bread that has none.

There is a difference between microwavable popcorn in a bag, and air-popped popcorn.

There is a difference between potato chips and potatoes.

It's the fat, Winston. The fat you eat is the fat you wear. All you have to do is avoid eating oil, butter, cheese, sour cream, hummus, chips, cake, chocolate, etc.

You can pig out on grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits. But make sure that there is no added oil or butter to the rice, if you are eating in a restaurant, for example. Everything at a restaurant seems to have some type of fat added to it, by default.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear.
JOIN MY BRAND NEW FREE SPEECH FORUM EMPHASIZING PURE VIRGIN MARRIAGE: https://dancilley.great-site.net/forum

X/Twitter: https://x.com/DanCilleyLTBLP

YouTube: https://youtube.com/@DanCilley
Niel
Freshman Poster

Post by Niel »

You're going to have to exercise and work out to get rid off all the extra carbs you take in. Whole wheat bread and brown rice is healthier than the white alternative, but it still contains carbs. Thus it can make you fat if you eat too much. However, since you're likely to feel full quicker from whole wheat bread and rice, it's less likely that you'll eat too much.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

No one has addressed a key question here. Americans ate a lot of carbs and breads in the 1950's and 1960's. There were burgers, hot dogs, pancakes, cereals, cakes, donuts, etc. So why were Americans height/weight proportionate back then? The US government and media refuse to answer this key question, because it leads down a dark path to disturbing answers, and means there's more to all this than you think. Can any of you answer it?

Also, how come people before the modern era did not need to exercise or go to the gym? No it's not because everyone worked on farms. Many people had desk jobs or professional jobs or were doctors and lawyers and clerks. And aristocrats and noblemen did not need to exercise or go to the gym either. How do you explain that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
dancilley
Freshman Poster

Post by dancilley »

If you eat processed/packaged foods, then you are likely to be ingesting high amounts of fructose, which impairs proper leptin/ghrelin signaling, or something like that. Or...if you ingest MSG or other flavor enhancers, the same thing will happen: cause you to eat more.

So, if you're eating something high in fat, but that food also has MSG or high-fructose corn syrup, then you are going to eat more of it than you otherwise would.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear...so, the more fat you eat, due to the food tasting so good and having so much sugar, causing your natural satiety mechanism to malfunction so you keep eating and eating...the more fat will be stored.

It is very easy (efficient) for the fat that you eat to be transported from your intestine to your fat cells.

I don't think people ate as large an amount of chips, hot dogs, meat, etc. on a daily basis back then as they do today. I think meat, dairy (especially butter, cream, etc.) etc. was very expensive. I think chips/cookies were very expensive or didn't exist.

The wife used to fire-up a wood-burning stove every morning...for a reason. And have pinto beans on the table every single night (the boss of my first job told me about this--how he used to live when he was growing up in Arkansas, probably in the 1940's-50's).

If a food has added salt, sugar (fructose), MSG, cheese, spices, etc....then it's different than eating the food with everything except the MSG and HFCS. That right there may be the reason. I mean, when I was growing up, my mom used to bake chicken...but when we went to KFC (very rarely)...it tasted above and beyond my mom's chicken. The power of the "secret recipe" of MSG, etc. makes you eat way more.

I am pretty confident that one of the reasons people are fat is because the nutrient-density of the food is very low, so they keep eating and eating until they get enough micronutrients...but in the process, they intake a huge amount of fat.

And one of the reasons why food is so nutrient-poor is not only due to the soil being depleted of nutrients; but the glyphosate in the food (grains and legumes...and GMO foods) is a mineral chelator...meaning, it binds to minerals and so prevents them from being absorbed. So maybe people are eating more food because they are simply not absorbing enough minerals.

I eat a lot of vegetables, which fills up my stomach. I am so used to eating fruits and vegetables, beans, etc. that I feel frustrated if I have to eat a meal that does not have much color/fiber. This never happens because I always strive to prepare a meal that contains large amounts of plant material. My system is so used to fiber and nutrient-dense foods. I would be very uncomfortable if I were to eat a meal of only hot dogs with ketchup. Or just pizza. I have to have big quantities of beans. I really enjoy beans. Or tofu. I eat a very large amount of vegetables usually. I boil vegetables, such as broccoli, red cabbage, green cabbage, Napa cabbage, onions, etc. and then put salt on them. I prioritize beans and vegetables. I also eat a lot of starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and sweet potatoes. In addition, I have been adding oil to my food, in order to get enough calories so that I can work out and have enough energy. I also have been eating 10oz bags of potato chips pretty frequently (which is not healthy).

I know from experience that if I were to not eat any of the boiled vegetables or beans, and would eat more fat such as by eating cheese and meat, then I would gain fat. When I was 16 that's what happened. I used to eat huge amounts of food/calories on purpose, because at that time, I wanted to gain muscle/weight. I would eat ground beef, cheese, canned refried beans (with lard/oil built-in), tortillas (with oil built-in), sour cream, tortilla chips (nacho cheese-flavored Doritos). I would not eat almost any vegetables. I would eat salsa/tomatoes with it. But that was it. I ate very few fruit/vegetables at that time.

Since 2007 my weight has remained very stable, because since then, I have eaten a high amount of carbs/fruits/vegetables. I never gain weight, unless I eat a large amount of potato chips, ice cream, or other high-fat foods on a daily basis for a few days...then I will notice that, around my waist, fat is accumulating.

I can eat insane amounts of carbs (just beans, just rice, just potatoes, etc.) and not gain weight at all, because it is very energy-inefficient for the body to convert carbs to fat.

But if you eat high-fat foods, and especially with sugar/MSG etc. you will eat more of the food than you would have if you didn't eat the sugar/MSG etc. with it.

It is so easy for the body to store fiber-less fats such as those in oil, cheese, sour cream, etc. So if you eat a lot of oil, butter, cheese, fried foods, etc. then you will gain fat easily. But to store carbs, or high-fat foods that are bound to fiber (such as in nuts/seeds/avocado/olives) the body must separate the fat from the fiber...and I think a lot of the fat does not actually get absorbed, but rather just passes out of the body still attached to the fiber.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear. If you don't eat fat, you can't gain fat. It's pretty much that simple.

I challenge anyone to eat as much rice, beans, potatoes, etc. as you want. You will not gain fat. Carbs do not make you fat. But the rice, beans, etc. has to not have any added oil to it. If you buy packaged rice, such as that sold in stores in a refrigerated section...it has oil in it. Ramen noodles have a lot of oil built into them. Canned refried beans have lard/oil. And potato chips are like 50% fat or something. I challenge anyone to bake potatoes...and literally eat all the potatoes you want for 7 days...with added salt and sugar...but no butter, oil, etc.
JOIN MY BRAND NEW FREE SPEECH FORUM EMPHASIZING PURE VIRGIN MARRIAGE: https://dancilley.great-site.net/forum

X/Twitter: https://x.com/DanCilleyLTBLP

YouTube: https://youtube.com/@DanCilley