Winston's high blood pressure/hypertension problem

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

International Love wrote:Winston, i have not read every post in this thread but have just been skimming it, but housemd is trying to help you out. i work out a lot and have explored different types of diets in my day. i've tried vegetarianism, the paleo diet, the lemon cleanse, ayurvedic principles, and conventional nutrition advice. i used to be way into the new age stuff, and i find that the new age/ "holistic" health stuff tends to be bs.

the new age/holistic crowd tends to be people who do yoga who have no muscle mass. they don't appear to be particularly healthy or athletic. the new age/holistic crowd tends to criticize christians for believing anything they read in a book (the bible), but then they tend to believe anything they read in a new age book/website.

you're having some health issues - should you try some gimmick/shortcut? or should you do what humans have naturally done to maintain their health - eating nonprocessed foods and exercise? i think you know the answer. i think deep down, you just don't want to change your lifestyle.
That's a good point. lol. The new age holistic crowd does take on faith anything they hear from the people in their movement. lol. I guess everyone needs some type of religion or belief system that they can trust and take on faith from. lol. And every belief system exaggerates.

I have a question for you though, and for HouseMD too:

Many of the new age holistic people I talked to swear that their natural remedies work and have changed their lives. How do you explain that? Are they all lying, deluded, or is it all due to the placebo effect?

I don't think there is a simple answer. Placebo doesn't explain everything. It's just a label by establishment defenders to dismiss anything alternative.

How did you find out that the new age holistic stuff is BS? What did you do? Did you test any of their stuff? And if their stuff is BS, why does it work for them? If something doesn't work, it won't sell right? Simple logic.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Notice how the exercise point is not even addressed. It just doesn't exist :roll:
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

droid wrote:Notice how the exercise point is not even addressed. It just doesn't exist :roll:
I addressed it long ago. You just have amnesia. I told you, I'm not a gym guy and I'm not a jogger. Gyms are artificial and mechanical, not natural. I'm also too depressed from sexual/romantic deprivation to exercise. And I'm trying to get out of here ASAP too, which I have been trying to do for the last 12 months.

I also have no one to play tennis with here. I can swim but I don't have time. Exercise is painful too. I don't enjoy pain and have low tolerance for it. And I have low energy as well. I get tired too easily. Always have.

I've addressed all this many times.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
International Love
Freshman Poster

Post by International Love »

Winston wrote:
International Love wrote:Winston, i have not read every post in this thread but have just been skimming it, but housemd is trying to help you out. i work out a lot and have explored different types of diets in my day. i've tried vegetarianism, the paleo diet, the lemon cleanse, ayurvedic principles, and conventional nutrition advice. i used to be way into the new age stuff, and i find that the new age/ "holistic" health stuff tends to be bs.

the new age/holistic crowd tends to be people who do yoga who have no muscle mass. they don't appear to be particularly healthy or athletic. the new age/holistic crowd tends to criticize christians for believing anything they read in a book (the bible), but then they tend to believe anything they read in a new age book/website.

you're having some health issues - should you try some gimmick/shortcut? or should you do what humans have naturally done to maintain their health - eating nonprocessed foods and exercise? i think you know the answer. i think deep down, you just don't want to change your lifestyle.
That's a good point. lol. The new age holistic crowd does take on faith anything they hear from the people in their movement. lol. I guess everyone needs some type of religion or belief system that they can trust and take on faith from. lol. And every belief system exaggerates.

I have a question for you though, and for HouseMD too:

Many of the new age holistic people I talked to swear that their natural remedies work and have changed their lives. How do you explain that? Are they all lying, deluded, or is it all due to the placebo effect?

I don't think there is a simple answer. Placebo doesn't explain everything. It's just a label by establishment defenders to dismiss anything alternative.

How did you find out that the new age holistic stuff is BS? What did you do? Did you test any of their stuff? And if their stuff is BS, why does it work for them? If something doesn't work, it won't sell right? Simple logic.
i think it is the placebo effect and also something else - i forgot what it's called, but it's the concept in psychology where you disregard everything that defies your idea and you only look for things that support your idea. i mean, you could go up to christians and ask them why they believe in the christian god, and they will come up with anecdotal evidence. same thing applies in the new age world. i think new agers want to believe in something, so they come up with ways to support their beliefs.

for instance, remember when all the new agers were all into dr. emoto's stuff? dr. emoto was the guy who said that when you write words on top of water bottles, it supposedly changed the water structure. so supposedly, you could put words that said "hate" and "anger" on water bottles, and then supposedly water bottles with "love" and "acceptance" had a different structure to them. "dr. emoto" then took very close up photos of the water and supposedly the water crystals had different structures. i flipped through his book at borders one day and guess what? all the water molecules looked the same to me. but you go into new age groups and see people with stickers saying "love" and "hope" and all that stuff on their water bottles, blindly believing the hype. i heard that "dr. emoto" isn't even a real doctor but is a photographer.

additionally, the new age crowd believes in ideas that are diametrically opposed and combine them together, which makes zero sense. the new age crowd takes the ideas of eastern spirituality aka present moment awareness. present moment awareness is the teaching that attachment to thought creates suffering and that one should learn how to create space from the thoughts. and in that separation between you and thought, inner peace/happiness comes, not from any material thing, but from a spiritual place beyond the material world. i actually like these eastern ideas a lot. and i know that you should be familiar with this concept at least somewhat, because you have quoted j. krishnamurti in your book many times. so to sum this up, present moment awareness teaches that thought creates suffering.

new agers love to combine the teachings of present moment awareness with positive thinking, which is the pop psychology teaching that thoughts create both suffering and happiness, and that one should constantly control one's thoughts to think about happy stuff all the time. supposedly, once you believe you are happy, you become happy. obviously, this idea of using thought is diametrically opposed to the teachings of present moment awareness, which teaches you to detach from thought. in my experience, positive thinking teaches you to put on a fake happy mask and conceals the real suffering underneath.

also, new agers talk about how spiritual they are, but then they talk about vision boards or dream board or whatever they call it to attract material success and things. also, they use the law of attraction (another thought based system just like positive thinking) to attractive material things. see, it's a lot of materialism shrouded in spiritual talk. also, the constant talk about angels and crystals and stuff like that teaches you to look outside of you for spirituality as opposed to within, like in present moment awareness teachings. so contradictory! teachers of present moment awareness would rather have you meditate than focus on your vision boards, angel cards, crystals, sage, etc.

new agers also have a different health trend of the year: lemon cleanse, colonics, probiotics, vegetarianism, raising the "energy" of the food, apple cider vinegar, etc. there will probably be a new trend next year.

i don't think the new age stuff works. when i first got into new age stuff, i saw new age people and thought that they were happy, but later i realized that their trust in positive thinking, makes them put on a fake happy mask and once you get to know them, they seem unstable and have darker stuff lying underneath.

i've tried lots of stuff - i've read at least a hundred books on positive thinking, new age stuff, eastern spirituality, did various forms of yoga, sudarshan kriya (a type of yoga cleansing), nauli (yoga technique), the law of attraction, affirmations, energy healing, wicca, acupuncture, vegetarianism, lemon cleanse, therapeutic massage, reiki, present moment awareness meditation, chakra meditation, concentration meditation, angel cards, qigong, tai chi, astral projection classes, psychic readings, various "holistic" classes, ayurvedic principles. some of these things that i did, i got way into, and some things, i just tried one class and left it at that. i probably did more stuff that i can't remember, as it's been so long.
International Love
Freshman Poster

Post by International Love »

btw, winston, for any topic in nutrition or fitness, you could do a google search, and you will find sites that argue for and against anything.

i reiterate, if you want to be healthier - you need to work out and eat unprocessed foods.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

International Love,
I agree with you that new age stuff contains a lot of bullshit and fakery, and contradictions as well.

But you can't say that all natural remedies don't work. Natural remedies have been used for thousands of years. The synthetic medicine is what's new. Are you saying that only synthetic medicine from big pharma works? lol

There are many credible people that have been helped by natural remedies or naturopathic medicine. It's not all placebo. Placebos can only go so far.

I've heard of Dr. Emoto. David Icke cites him a lot when he talks about thoughts creating reality. But the images he showed had different water crystals for love and hate. The ones for love looked a lot smoother and better. Are there any third party websites that analyzed this?

Btw, what do you think of these bullshit new age quotes I posted? lol. How can anyone believe in this stuff?

viewtopic.php?p=196774#196774

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Winston wrote:
droid wrote:Notice how the exercise point is not even addressed. It just doesn't exist :roll:
I'm also too depressed from sexual/romantic deprivation to exercise...And I have low energy as well. I get tired too easily. Always have. I've addressed all this many times.
I understand, sorry to annoy you, we're trying to help/jump start you.

It's kind of a vicious cycle that's hard to break from.
Exercise is revitalizing physically and mentally, but it's difficult to find the momentum in the first place.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Once you get going on exercising it is not to difficult, once doing it the time just blows by and you are done with it.

Winston if you want better sex being buff helps a lot.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

droid wrote:
Winston wrote:
I'm also too depressed from sexual/romantic deprivation to exercise...And I have low energy as well. I get tired too easily. Always have. I've addressed all this many times.
I understand, sorry to annoy you, we're trying to help/jump start you.

It's kind of a vicious cycle that's hard to break from.
Exercise is revitalizing physically and mentally, but it's difficult to find the momentum in the first place.
What do you know about exercising? all you do is plug into the wall every 24 or so hours for a recharge. :roll:
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

Well those lemon oils I got didn't seem to lower my blood pressure. In fact, when I checked it again, it was at 170 / 120, which is extremely high.

So I have no choice but to start taking medication again. Since my last meds didn't work, which were ACE inhibitors, this time we will ask my doctor in Taiwan to put me back on Atenolol, a beta blocker, which has worked for me in the past in lowering blood pressure. I used it during my trips to Russia, and it didn't have much side effects.

Since my body refuses to lose weight, I have little other choice. What else can I do?

johnnyderp
Freshman Poster

Post by johnnyderp »

droid wrote:It's kind of a vicious cycle that's hard to break from.
Yeah, this is the key. It can take months or years to develop the mental habits required to be motivated for exercise on a regular basis. I know this from experience, having serious back problems only 5 years ago. Couldn't even get out of bed each morning without feeling back pain.

Winston, I also hate jogging and gyms, but it doesn't prevent me from exercising 4 or 5 days a week. I only do short sessions of 15-30 minutes, but these are intense workouts. I exercise at home, the beach (for sprints) and playgrounds (bars).

If you're not exercising now, I'd suggest walking every day before doing bodyweight or high-intensity exercises. Are you walking on a regular basis?

I turn 42 in a fortnight and have a 6-pack for the first time in my life, so almost anyone can develop sound exercise habits if i can do it.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Winston wrote:Update:

Well those lemon oils I got didn't seem to lower my blood pressure. In fact, when I checked it again, it was at 170 / 120, which is extremely high.

So I have no choice but to start taking medication again. Since my last meds didn't work, which were ACE inhibitors, this time we will ask my doctor in Taiwan to put me back on Atenolol, a beta blocker, which has worked for me in the past in lowering blood pressure. I used it during my trips to Russia, and it didn't have much side effects.

Since my body refuses to lose weight, I have little other choice. What else can I do?
Try moringa oleifera. Its the greatest Superfood on earth, Its available in Philippines malls. vegetable sections or you could order from amazon.

http://blogs.naturalnews.com/moringa-ol ... uperfoods/

Moringa oleifera is the world record holder for most antioxidants. Gram per gram, it has about 50% more antioxidants than acai berries. Antioxidants can help prevent degenerative diseases caused by aging. Moringa has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to prevent and treat over 300 different diseases.

10x the Vitamin A of carrots
17x the Calcium of milk
15x the Potassium of bananas
25x the Iron of spinach
9x the Protein of yogurt
4x more Fiber than oats
1/2 the Vitamin c of oranges (7x vitamin c for fresh leaves)

Most people in today’s busy world don’t eat a balanced diet. Most of us eat at least one meal a day we didn’t prepare ourselves. Fast food and frozen TV dinners are convenient and cheap but offer little nutritional value. Adding moringa to juice and smoothies, or consuming it in tea or capsule form is a great way to get the nutrition your body needs. Since it is all natural it has a bio-availability much higher than synthetic multivitamins.

Many people who eat moringa report being less hungry and having more energy throughout the day. There are various factors that contribute to moringa’s appetite suppressing abilities. Moringa helps to regulate blood sugar. Studies show that after glucose was administered to Wistar and Goto-Kakizaki rats, moringa significantly reduced their blood glucose levels compared to the control group (see source below). Stable levels of blood sugar is very important for controlling hunger and is the main focus of many popular diets. Moringa is so effective in regulating blood sugar that some diabetics report they no longer need to take their insulin treatments.

http://www.moringabenefits.net/

if you suffer from high blood pressure, taking this supplement may just be the answer for you. It contains four vital compounds your body requires for a healthy blood pressure: Niacin A1 and A5, and vitamins B3 and B10. There is a second piece to this puzzle, though, and it is the nutrients necessary to support your body’s production of nitric oxide. These include magnesium, zinc, potassium, calcium and vitamin E. When your nitric oxide levels are healthy, blood flows properly through your blood vessels, thus reducing your blood pressure.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote:Update:

So let me get this straight. You'd rather take powerful blood pressure meds for the rest of your life with untold long term side effects rather than spend 30 minutes working out each day to improve your natural physical condition? :lol: A simple regime of cardio exercises and calisthenics would be all you would need.

You realize with medication there's no free lunch. Your organs and other functions do take a hit with long term use of anything. It's why big pharm is often so secretive about long term side effects.

Also, I thought you were some kind of gifted scam and bullshit detector. Why is it you always fall for nonsense (like lemon oils) over sound advice given to you?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Look into the work of Dr. Ornish if you want to fix your problems. You need to radically alter your diet, lifestyle, and personal habits if you want to truly be healthy, and not just dependent upon medications that hide the real problems with your health. Beta blockers and the like will provide temporary relief, but this is by altering vascular function rather than actually fixing what is wrong with your health. It's like using tire slime and patch kits to fix a blown tire- they work for a bit, and you might be able to get away with a quick fix until you deal with the real problem and get a new tire, bit if you don't get around to dealing with the heart of the problem, that tire is eventually going to blow.

Do as your doctor recommends for now, but make the changes necessary so that next time when you see him he can take you off of some meds rather than adding more of them.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

HouseMD wrote:It's like using tire slime and patch kits to fix a blown tire
Lol :lol: