Winston's high blood pressure/hypertension problem

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm sorry HouseMD, but you are acting delusional and falsely assuming that if you didn't learn it in medical school, that's not true, and that the medical establishment is all about truth. NOT TRUE.

Profit is higher than truth in America. Why is that so hard for you to understand? The establishment only supports synthetic medicine that is bad for you, not natural holistic medicine. Why is this beyond you?!

How do you know that lemon oil or lemon water does not reduce high blood pressure? You never even tried it. You never did any research in it. All you do is assume that everything outside medical school is false.

You don't know shit about holistic health. If all those sources I linked above say it does, and you say contrary, it's more probable that you are wrong and everyone else is right. Lots of experts and credible sources outweigh your opinion easily.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:I'm sorry HouseMD, but you are acting delusional and falsely assuming that if you didn't learn it in medical school, that's not true, and that the medical establishment is all about truth. NOT TRUE.

Profit is higher than truth in America. Why is that so hard for you to understand? The establishment only supports synthetic medicine that is bad for you, not natural holistic medicine. Why is this beyond you?!

How do you know that lemon oil or lemon water does not reduce high blood pressure? You never even tried it. You never did any research in it. All you do is assume that everything outside medical school is false.

You don't know shit about holistic health. If all those sources I linked above say it does, and you say contrary, it's more probable that you are wrong and everyone else is right. Lots of experts and credible sources outweigh your opinion easily.
I'm pushing for an all-natural cure for your health problems- fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and exercise. Couple that with some yoga, a healthy social life, and not drinking, and you'll have your hypertension under control in no time. It's a proven effective, non-pharmaceutical way to fix your hypertension. The causes of hypertension are complex, but one of the most significant factors is obesity, which both constricts blood vessels and causes a proliferation of new vessels to provide a blood supply to new adipocytes. Most of these vessels are capillaries, which do not have smooth muscle sheaths that can be relaxed. Now, when you've got a ton of extra capillaries weaving throughout your body, your heart has to pump harder to push blood through all of these new, tiny spaces. You can't just supply all those new capillaries by pumping as hard as you used to when a guy had 50 lbs less fat to perfuse. This harder pumping (increased strain on heart), combined with all these new narrow spaces (vascular resistance) results in hypertension, which is often exacerbated by atherosclerosis (another factor that increases vascular resistance).

How some magic lemon oil is just going to make all that PVR go away or your heart beat harder is beyond me. Even if it has a similar effect to your blood pressure meds, it's not fixing the problem. Relaxing arterial vasculature just gives you a false sense of health by lowering some arbitrary number- you're not actually healthy, you've just made yourself appear moreso on paper. If some oil has magic beta blocker powers, it's still not fixing the problem, which is increased need for cardiac output and increased vascular resistance. This false sense of security makes you think you can still keep going on with your unhealthy lifestyle because your numbers look good on paper, so you keep pushing it until, lo and behold, the numbers look bad even on medication! So then you need more meds, so you can keep living a life of sloth and gluttony. But eventually you reach a wall- the meds can only make your vasculature loosen up so much and can only boost your insulin sensitivity so much. Then you start to die as high blood pressure and excess sugar shred your kidney tubules, blood vessels in your brain weak and burst under load, and your peripheral and fine vasculature dies off, leading to amputations, blindness, loss of sensation, and erectile dysfunction.

Live or die, make your choice. I'm not trying to sell you pharmaceuticals, I'm trying to sell you on life, on eating quality organic food, on exercising and maintaining your body in a manner that keeps you happy, healthy, and attractive for decades longer than you would be if you continue down your current path.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

So the most promising of research shows a reduction of about 5% in BP with high concentration, commercial grade lemon supplements. No study has found natural lemon juice alone with no other lifestyle modifications to reduce blood pressure significantly that I can find. 5% isn't enough to bring a hypertensive person back to normotensive 99% of the time, and even the studies that found such BP changes used very small sample sizes and had very poor methodology, so you're looking at a best case of 5% decrease lol. Enjoy your lemon water though, it's tasty and dat vitamin C is good for you. Just don't add any sugar to it- sugar is basically cancer and obesity fuel.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

No doubt the source of Winston's high blood pressure/hypertension problems is the U.S.

So to get rid of his problem is to get out of the U.S., relocate permanently abroad where it is better and healthier. Everywhere abroad is better than the U.S, right?

So, we'll be expecting a year from now healthy report results from Winston when he takes a dose of his own recommended Happier Abroad medicine. Best wishes.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Halwick wrote:No doubt the source of Winston's high blood pressure/hypertension problems is the U.S.

So to get rid of his problem is to get out of the U.S., relocate permanently abroad where it is better and healthier. Everywhere abroad is better than the U.S, right?

So, we'll be expecting a year from now healthy report results from Winston when he takes a dose of his own recommended Happier Abroad medicine. Best wishes.
Not necessarily true. You can pack on the pounds overseas with beer and cheep carbs. Eating healthy can actually be more expensive in some countries abroad, due to the relatively high cost of certain healthy foods versus the states versus the cheapness of unhealthy foods like white rice, noodles, etc. Oil is used in the cooking of many cheap foods to add both flavor and inexpensive calories at the expense of healthiness. There's a reason diabetes and hypertension are huge problems in the PI!
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Hey good stuff HouseMD, thanks, that's interesting. I agree that Winston just tries to look for shortcuts, unfortunately.

The thing is, if the lemon oil works, then it will just promote further unhealthy habits. Kind of zero-sum I guess.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD,
You're not answering my question. If lemon oil or lemon water won't help then why do so many say it does? Did you read all the links I posted?

Why should I believe you over other experts? You are way outnumbered.

I tried baking soda at someone's suggestion and it WORKED. It stopped my acid reflux totally, no thanks to you.

You're not an expert in home remedies or naturopathic health. So why are you pretending to be a know it all? You are out of your element here.

Stop playing God. That's so typical American. Why not act more humble and modest like non-Americans do?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

A bunch of people saying something works doesn't make it true. I found research from Japan and China that examined the effectiveness of lemon juice for hypertension, and they all found either no correlation or a result so small as to be unremarkable. And I told you your baking soda strategy would work, because you're consuming bicarbonate, but that the extremely high sodium content pf sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will adversely affect your health, particularly if you have kidney failure or hypertension. Whenever you drink sodium, it brings water along with it into your body. If there is no water in your intestines, it will pull it from your cells into your bloodstream via osmotic pressure. The end result is the same either way- a large increase in intravascular fluid. If you know anything about fluid dynamics, you know that water is not compressible. Now what happens when you put more liquid in the same amount of vasculature? It has to stretch to compensate. This manifests as an increase in blood pressure.

Calcium bicarbonate has no such effect, as calcium does not affect water transport, and thus will not cause a transient increase in blood pressure.

But go ahead, keep using your "miracle cures" instead of treating your body the way it deserves.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

droid wrote:Hey good stuff HouseMD, thanks, that's interesting. I agree that Winston just tries to look for shortcuts, unfortunately.

The thing is, if the lemon oil works, then it will just promote further unhealthy habits. Kind of zero-sum I guess.
Yeah, very good stuff from House. Raises my opinion of med school grads.
WindowLicker
Freshman Poster

Post by WindowLicker »

Winston wrote:HouseMD,
You're not answering my question. If lemon oil or lemon water won't help then why do so many say it does? Did you read all the links I posted?

Why should I believe you over other experts? You are way outnumbered.

I tried baking soda at someone's suggestion and it WORKED. It stopped my acid reflux totally, no thanks to you.

You're not an expert in home remedies or naturopathic health. So why are you pretending to be a know it all? You are out of your element here.

Stop playing God. That's so typical American. Why not act more humble and modest like non-Americans do?

How did you get high blood pressure? What types of exercise do you do?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston's take on this seem a bit irrational. The problem is not high blood pressure in and of itself. It is, if anything, an indicator of a problem. Therefore taking natural or pharmaceutical remedies to lower it makes as much sense as dealing with a house fire by disabling the smoke alarms. If the underlying problem causing the high blood pressure is being unfit and overweight, which seems likely, the way to deal with this is diet and exercise.
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

All I know is I started making raw fruit and vegetable juice for my 87 yo great grandmother and her blood pressure started dropping, badly. Alarmed, her doctor ordered her to go off one of her blood pressure pills, the strong-assed lasix. This worked for a while but then it got lower, so he ordered her to go off the remaining blood pressure pill and her blood pressure became text book perfect for your typical 30 yo. And it stayed that way. The doctors were blown away and wanted to know how the hell she did it. he he
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston, you never answered the question as to how you got so fat to begin with? Your recent pictures in the southwest make you look extremely unhealthy and you're really into the obese category now.

Serious question, do you drink a lot of beer? I am not ragging on you but the only time I have seen people have round protruding stomaches like that is when they sit at home and pound beers daily.
International Love
Freshman Poster

Post by International Love »

Winston, i have not read every post in this thread but have just been skimming it, but housemd is trying to help you out. i work out a lot and have explored different types of diets in my day. i've tried vegetarianism, the paleo diet, the lemon cleanse, ayurvedic principles, and conventional nutrition advice. i used to be way into the new age stuff, and i find that the new age/ "holistic" health stuff tends to be bs.

the new age/holistic crowd tends to be people who do yoga who have no muscle mass. they don't appear to be particularly healthy or athletic. the new age/holistic crowd tends to criticize christians for believing anything they read in a book (the bible), but then they tend to believe anything they read in a new age book/website.

you're having some health issues - should you try some gimmick/shortcut? or should you do what humans have naturally done to maintain their health - eating nonprocessed foods and exercise? i think you know the answer. i think deep down, you just don't want to change your lifestyle.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD wrote:A bunch of people saying something works doesn't make it true. I found research from Japan and China that examined the effectiveness of lemon juice for hypertension, and they all found either no correlation or a result so small as to be unremarkable. And I told you your baking soda strategy would work, because you're consuming bicarbonate, but that the extremely high sodium content pf sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will adversely affect your health, particularly if you have kidney failure or hypertension. Whenever you drink sodium, it brings water along with it into your body. If there is no water in your intestines, it will pull it from your cells into your bloodstream via osmotic pressure. The end result is the same either way- a large increase in intravascular fluid. If you know anything about fluid dynamics, you know that water is not compressible. Now what happens when you put more liquid in the same amount of vasculature? It has to stretch to compensate. This manifests as an increase in blood pressure.

Calcium bicarbonate has no such effect, as calcium does not affect water transport, and thus will not cause a transient increase in blood pressure.

But go ahead, keep using your "miracle cures" instead of treating your body the way it deserves.
Why are you so closed minded about natural remedies? What if you are wrong and they do work? You can't speak for everyone. They do work for some people. Stop being so black and white. Be more objective.

I do not drink water with baking soda everyday. I only do it once a week. That's enough. So the high sodium is not much of an issue. I told you that before.

Do you still think that big pharma and the medical establishment are all about truth and not corrupt? lol

Are you saying that people with acid reflux should take proton pump inhibitors like Nexium instead? lol. So Nexium is good for you? lol.

It's funny how all your opinions are pro-big pharma. What a coincidence. lol

Did you know that medicine used to be natural, not synthetic? It became synthetic when the corrupt big pharma made it all about profit
Repatriate wrote: Winston, you never answered the question as to how you got so fat to begin with? Your recent pictures in the southwest make you look extremely unhealthy and you're really into the obese category now.

Serious question, do you drink a lot of beer? I am not ragging on you but the only time I have seen people have round protruding stomaches like that is when they sit at home and pound beers daily.
I did. I said I don't know. I didn't ask to get fat. And it won't go away no matter what I do.

No I don't drink beer remember? I've said many times I don't like alcohol, except for red wine.

It's probably a wheat belly, or a bad reaction to gluten. That's what my advisors tell me. It's hard to avoid wheat in America.

I told you before, pictures add 10 pounds. If you see me in 3d, I look thinner. How many times do I have to tell you about basic photo physics? You're so dumb and negative.