Do microwave ovens damage your health and food?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Do microwave ovens damage your health and food?

Post by Winston »

Have any of you noticed that after you microwave food, it tastes different, like less wholesome than before? Doesn't it make sense that if microwave radiation is dangerous to your body, then it's bad for your food too?

Did you hear that plants won't grow if you give it microwaved water? Is that true?

I heard that Russia banned microwaves in 1976. No wonder I never saw microwaves in Russia. I thought it was cause they weren't advanced enough for it. lol. Since they are very good in science and intellect, don't they have a good reason for it?

Check out these videos:

Check out this hands on radiation test with a microwave:

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

wuxi
Freshman Poster

Post by wuxi »

You don't have to worry about microwaves destroying the nutritional value of food in western countries. Thanks to genetically modified crops and pesticides the nutritional value is compromised before you even buy it. However, I found this video to be rather disturbing. I plan on investigating this subject some more.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Also check out this article:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/micr ... ngers.html

Excerpt:
The Proven Dangers of Microwave Ovens

In short, microwaves distort the moleclular structure of the foods. They destroy much of the nutrients and cause many other problems with the immune system over a period of time. If you love your family read this and take the extra couple of minutes to heat the food up the right way.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Cooking, or exposure of food to heat, will destroy nutrients. It doesn't matter if you're using a microwave, stove-top, or oven. "Processed" foods also lose nutrients -- do you want to eat brown rice or white rice?

Blanching veggies will lose 25% of the vitamin C, and boiling it will lose 50%. Talk to people in the "raw foods" movement and they'd dump all kinds of stats on you. I have a friend who eats raw cut oatmeal.

Realistically, you have to cook a lot of foods to make them edible. If you cook beans it'd lose calcium, but do you want to eat raw dry beans??
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

But then how come people on raw food diets look so thin and pale, like they are unhealthy? What are they doing wrong? Aren't they getting more nutrition?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, if microwaves are safe, then why did the Russians ban them in 1976?

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:But then how come people on raw food diets look so thin and pale, like they are unhealthy? What are they doing wrong? Aren't they getting more nutrition?
Assuming that the person is a "raw food vegan", he/she might suffer from calcium, iron, protein, and calories deficiency. In rare cases it may be intentional, my friend who eats raw oatmeal believes in the "reduced calories" diet for longevity and he's rail-thin. Back in 1960s Nation of Islam's Elijah Muhammad advocated low-calorie intake diet in his book How to Eat and Live:

http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/ ... 1index.htm
http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/ ... 2index.htm

Russia is a sovereign nation and they can ban whatever they feel like, including microwaves. As far as I know, almost all cooked foods destroy nutrients and produce carcinogens. The safest method of cooking is probably boiling or light steaming. You want to eat bland food for the rest of your life?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:But then how come people on raw food diets look so thin and pale, like they are unhealthy? What are they doing wrong? Aren't they getting more nutrition?
Assuming that the person is a "raw food vegan", he/she might suffer from calcium, iron, protein, and calories deficiency. In rare cases it may be intentional, my friend who eats raw oatmeal believes in the "reduced calories" diet for longevity and he's rail-thin. Back in 1960s Nation of Islam's Elijah Muhammad advocated low-calorie intake diet in his book How to Eat and Live:

http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/ ... 1index.htm
http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/ ... 2index.htm

Russia is a sovereign nation and they can ban whatever they feel like, including microwaves. As far as I know, almost all cooked foods destroy nutrients and produce carcinogens. The safest method of cooking is probably boiling or light steaming. You want to eat bland food for the rest of your life?
Does your friend burst out in uncontrollable rages? Those low low calorie diets may extend life, but they are also known to make for some extremely short fuses.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

J.Adama wrote: Does your friend burst out in uncontrollable rages? Those low low calorie diets may extend life, but they are also known to make for some extremely short fuses.
Naw, he eats whole wheat bread, sliced turkey breast, raw oatmeal, bananas, aspirin, vitamins, and tablespoon of cooking oil (instead of fish oil) daily. Quite an oddball but not violent. Whenever I see him, I feed him unhealthy stuff like sweet potato stuffed crust pizza and fried chicken (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-and-chick ... rden-grove).
smartpolaero
Freshman Poster

Post by smartpolaero »

Well I guess there will be a lot of discussions and argument on this topic. I am not a doctor or scientist myself and I didn’t do any research that microwaves will cause harm to your body. But break it down into how microwave cooks a meal. It radiates the particle to make them hot. And that’s about it. It wouldn’t be harmful at all as you are still eating the same piece of flesh. But it might be harmful when you are anywhere near it when it’s cooking.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

I have a friend who is currently getting his Ph.D. in Harvard, he is going to be chemistry professor really soon. He told me long time ago to NEVER use microwaves because they destroy everything in food.

I used to use microwave extensively when I was in college. There was a point that my body would not digest microwaved food and I had to take digestive pills or even puke it out - it was SO bad! No more microwave for me! I only use it in extreme cases when I have no time.

Something I noticed - how microwaved food gets cold VERY quickly. When you cook something in the oven or on fire - it tastes fresh and stays warm for very long time. Microwaved food can be extremely hot, but it will get cold before you finish eating it. Bad, really bad, unnatural and unhealthy. I go to Whole Foods more and more, I stopped drinking soda at all and don't even drink much of anything, water is amazing or tea without sugar from Teavanna is good too. When I go for seafood and fish instead of red meat, I will probably feel even better.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

have2fly wrote: Something I noticed - how microwaved food gets cold VERY quickly. When you cook something in the oven or on fire - it tastes fresh and stays warm for very long time. Microwaved food can be extremely hot, but it will get cold before you finish eating it. Bad, really bad, unnatural and unhealthy. I go to Whole Foods more and more, I stopped drinking soda at all and don't even drink much of anything, water is amazing or tea without sugar from Teavanna is good too. When I go for seafood and fish instead of red meat, I will probably feel even better.
To prevent food from cooling quickly, warm up the serving plates. Food on cold plates will cool much faster. Sodas are junk food. Red meat (beef, veal, lamb/mutton) takes up to 3 days to digest. You can substitute beef with ostrich:

http://www.ostriches.org/recipes.html

Last edited by momopi on January 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Who cares if microwaves destroy nutrients in food. They destroy taste in food and that is reason enough not to use them. They also turn bread into rubber.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

another thing that makes american society great :lol: microwaves

how hard is it to put something on a stove? for most meals you don't even save any time compared to a microwave! you just have to wash an extra item (the skillet or what not). oh no! that's the end of the world for a young american. and it doesn't even fit in the dish washer!!!

also americans don't like gas stoves. they want electric stoves even though they're useless. unless it's outside in which case a charcoal barbeque isn't good enough, no.. they must buy the gas grill for the price of a small car.

and now we can't even have that because morons believe the co2 caused man-made global warming ponzi scheme

i'm tired of living among these fuckers. people are stupid all over the world but you know what they get the simple things right. you don't have to hear that annoying boxy machine beep and hum constantly at home and even at work as some fucktard heats up a prepackaged meal.

"oh no!! 300 calories and 30% of my daily value of salt. "

It's funny how they think they can be healthy by looking at arbitrary numbers.

Garbage in, garbage out

You are what you eat!