Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.





View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Are these DNA tests to trace your ancestral origin worth it?

Discuss science and technology topics here.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 27709
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Are these DNA tests to trace your ancestral origin worth it?

Post by Winston » July 17th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Check out these DNA tests where for $99 you can have your family and ethnic ancestry traced, and some of your lost cousins found.

http://www.dnaspectrum.com
http://dna.ancestry.com

What do you think? Are they worth it? What will they tell you exactly? And how can they find parts of your family tree with it? I don't get it.
Last edited by Winston on September 5th, 2014, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4783
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Post by Moretorque » July 18th, 2013, 12:16 am

This is area I would like to get into and learn about, I would say yes if it is accurate but it needs to be accurate and I here there is a lot of sloppy science in this area.
Time to Hide!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3623
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Post by ladislav » July 18th, 2013, 1:16 am

Many white Americans need it because they don't know who their ancestors were because of a very thorough policy of elimination of one's identity and turning people into Anglo, and black Americans want to find out what exact African countries there were from plus what white people are mixed in with them.

Can't imagine why anyone else would need it. In Europe or Asia, would an Indian need to know that he is an Indian? Or would a German need to know that he is a German? They look in the mirror, look at their last name and they know.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Venetienzo
Freshman Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: July 8th, 2013, 11:48 pm
Location: California

Post by Venetienzo » July 24th, 2013, 8:31 am

My dad just got it recently. Were waiting two and a half a months to find out what the results say. They cotton swabbed his mouth and said with this they will be able to go back 700 years. However, he's doing this because our family is strict on ancestry... It doesn't make sense though lol if we were really strict and traditional about it wouldn't we have a record log and skip this genealogy tracking?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » July 25th, 2013, 4:38 am

ladislav wrote:Many white Americans need it because they don't know who their ancestors were because of a very thorough policy of elimination of one's identity and turning people into Anglo, and black Americans want to find out what exact African countries there were from plus what white people are mixed in with them.
So true.
ladislav wrote:
Can't imagine why anyone else would need it. In Europe or Asia, would an Indian need to know that he is an Indian? Or would a German need to know that he is a German? They look in the mirror, look at their last name and they know.
Must be so cool to have that sense of belonging, of deep roots.

Among my Lebanese friends, the mention of a hometown tells other Lebanese his race, religion, clan, and political party. To us Americans, this sounds amusingly backward, like the village in "Zorba The Greek". Yet the result is a tenacious grip on the land that resists displacement.

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3623
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Post by ladislav » July 25th, 2013, 10:03 am

Jester wrote:
ladislav wrote:Many white Americans need it because they don't know who their ancestors were because of a very thorough policy of elimination of one's identity and turning people into Anglos, and black Americans want to find out what exact African countries there were from plus what white people are mixed in with them.
So true.
ladislav wrote:
Can't imagine why anyone else would need it. In Europe or Asia, would an Indian need to know that he is an Indian? Or would a German need to know that he is a German? They look in the mirror, look at their last name and they know.
Must be so cool to have that sense of belonging, of deep roots.

Among my Lebanese friends, the mention of a hometown tells other Lebanese his race, religion, clan, and political party. To us Americans, this sounds amusingly backward, like the village in "Zorba The Greek". Yet the result is a tenacious grip on the land that resists displacement.
Some of those roots are not as deep in lots of Arab countries. They, as nationalities, have not existed in that place for a long time. It all started in the 2o th century. The Lebanese are so mixed plus there was no Lebanon as a country until recently. Yet, so many Palestinians- the same race were born there and have "roots" but not deep enough so they are denied citizenship for generations.

Usually, the more recent the country, the more fanatical they are about "roots".
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4624
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Post by Taco » July 26th, 2013, 8:39 am

It would be nice if we could claim citizenship based on DNA tests.

There was a lot of race mixing going on in ancient times. Swedish people from the Island of Gotland were recently found to have Mongolian genes in their DNA. Some Ojibwa Indians from Eastern Canada were found to be related to the Basks In Spain. Also, Blackfeet Indians from Wyoming were found to have Chinese genes. Who knows what your test results might reveal.

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » August 25th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Taco wrote:It would be nice if we could claim citizenship based on DNA tests.

There was a lot of race mixing going on in ancient times. Swedish people from the Island of Gotland were recently found to have Mongolian genes in their DNA. Some Ojibwa Indians from Eastern Canada were found to be related to the Basks In Spain. Also, Blackfeet Indians from Wyoming were found to have Chinese genes. Who knows what your test results might reveal.
You can! Once you can find the Ancestor; Name, official migration record etc. Some countires allow this, like India, maybe others do as well. I think eurobrat got his Italian citizenship via his grand parents. The UK offers this too but you need official documents, with appostile stamps.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: July 6th, 2014, 6:47 am

Post by Paloaltoguy » July 11th, 2014, 5:56 am

:roll:
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on July 23rd, 2014, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4624
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Post by Taco » July 11th, 2014, 6:04 am

Paloaltoguy wrote:I got my ancestry report from 23andMe.com a few months ago.

57% West African

19% Ashkenazi Jew

18% Middle Eastern

5% Native American
That's interesting. Did the results come as a surprise to you or was it what you expected?

Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: July 6th, 2014, 6:47 am

Post by Paloaltoguy » July 11th, 2014, 6:18 am

Taco wrote:
Paloaltoguy wrote:I got my ancestry report from 23andMe.com a few months ago.

57% West African

19% Ashkenazi Jew

18% Middle Eastern

5% Native American
That's interesting. Did the results come as a surprise to you or was it what you expected?
Lol, I didn't know about the Jew part. But then again, I've always been good at making money :lol:

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4624
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Post by Taco » July 11th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Paloaltoguy wrote:
Taco wrote:
Paloaltoguy wrote:I got my ancestry report from 23andMe.com a few months ago.

57% West African

19% Ashkenazi Jew

18% Middle Eastern

5% Native American
That's interesting. Did the results come as a surprise to you or was it what you expected?
Lol, I didn't know about the Jew part. But then again, I've always been good at making money :lol:
I went to 23andme.com website and they kind of lost me when they started talking about Neanderthal DNA. Last time I checked I wasn't related to any cavemen and I don't believe in theory of evolution since its just a theory. This what they said.

"We estimate how much of your DNA is from Neanderthals and compare it to other users".
Last edited by Taco on July 11th, 2014, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4783
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Post by Moretorque » July 11th, 2014, 7:23 pm

I have not researched this to closely but from what I have read a lot of these DNA testing houses are cooking the results with junk science because our rulers are trying to create a certain belief system in it's subjects as Ed Griffith claims in order to build their perfectly engineered communal dictatorship.
Time to Hide!

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1458
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Post by MrPeabody » July 11th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I would be careful about making sure the tests are actually legitimate. Else you are just investing money in something to learn junk information that could affect your perception of yourself.

This article suggests that the tests aren't accurate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... gless.html

MeGustanLatinas
Freshman Poster
Posts: 33
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 9:31 pm
Location: USA

Post by MeGustanLatinas » July 11th, 2014, 8:27 pm

I've always wanted to do this, I just wasn't sure where to go. I guess those two sites listed are the most reputable?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Science and Technology”