Android Style Guide - Cultural Differences

Discuss science and technology topics here.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Android Style Guide - Cultural Differences

Post by fschmidt »

I am reading the Android Style Guide to help design my dating app when I came across this:

-------------------------
Words to avoid

Don't use: please, sorry, thank you

Attempts at politeness can annoy the user, especially in messages that say something has gone wrong.
Exception: In Japanese, "please" is mandatory and imperative verbs should be localized accordingly (turn on -> please turn on).
-------------------------

I thought that is hilarious, the only culture left that expects one to say "please" is Japan.

In general the Android Style Guide is yet another illustration of the decline of modern culture. Another example is their insistence on replacing WORDS with hieroglyphics.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I agree on the hieroglyphics, from automobile controls to printer buttons to the corners of my video screen.

Shocked at the advice to leave out any touch of politeness.

Although it might be ok to do so in the specific case of stating rules of the road on a forum or matchmaking app. Like reminding boxers of the rules just before a bout.
donnknappe
Freshman Poster

Create Quiet Condition with Phone Jammer

Post by donnknappe »

Nowadays there are various kinds of cell phones appear in the market and almost everyone owns a cell phone or more.However sometimes the cell phone can cause problems too especially in places where the phones are not allowed.To solve these similar problems, the gps jammer buy has been made to meet with people's requirement.