Avoid OS X Yosemite

Discuss science and technology topics here.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Avoid OS X Yosemite

Post by publicduende »

Sorry, you're making all this fuzz just because of a new set of flat icons? My main laptop is a MacBook Pro but wiped out OSX the day after I bought it, 3.5 years ago, so not an expert on it. Is there anything else than makes Yosemite so much worse than the previous version?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The_Adventurer wrote:They're just unifying everything so it looks the same as iPad and iPhone. Is it really tge end of the world?
That's what Microsoft said when they came out with Windows 8 which is what caused me to move the Apple in the first place. I haven't used the iPad and iPhone, but I assume they are suffering the same fate, probably starting with a good skeuomorphic design under Jobs and then being ruined by the current morons running Apple.

I am a programmer and spend most of my time looking at a computer. But this ugliness is too much, I don't want to spend most of my life staring at ugliness. Yosemite is making me serious about an idea I had in the past, to buy a small farm and spend my time growing my own food. A farm is much easier on the eye than a modern operating system is.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

This is kind of semi-related to fschmidt's OP, but I just want to point that I've been trying the latest Skype and find it to be a PIECE OF JUNK interface-wise.
Anyone else?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

droid wrote:This is kind of semi-related to fschmidt's OP, but I just want to point that I've been trying the latest Skype and find it to be a PIECE OF JUNK interface-wise.
Anyone else?
Yes, of course. Maybe the better question is, does anyone know of any software that isn't getting worse interface-wise? Or even more general, does anyone know of a single product or service in modern culture that isn't getting worse?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The new Whitney Museum of American Art

http://www.city-journal.org/2015/eon0430td.html

Yet more proof that modern culture prefers ugliness to beauty, prefers bad to good.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

And it's also non-lasting. A thousand years from now, all the "modern" glass and sheet metal buildings will be dust.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?