Do real laser guns exist yet?

Discuss science and technology topics here.
Winston
Site Admin

Do real laser guns exist yet?

Post by Winston »

I was wondering, back in the 80's I heard that they were on the verge of developing a laser rifle powered by an energy crystal. What ever became of that?

Does a laser gun that can destroy matter, like in sci fi movies, exist today? Are they classified? How come lay scientists don't make them? Are there any manuals on how to make a real laser gun?

I remember that the novelty company Johnson Smith Co. had a manual for sale on how to make your own laser/phaser gun a long time ago. But I think it was just referring to a harmless laser light. Not a real one that can burn holes.

Does a real laser gun exist? If so, how do you get one or build one? I've always wanted one since I saw Star Wars.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Laser weapons require a lot of energy, and it's not really man-portable at this time.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01 ... -50-bombs/

=====================================

http://defensetech.org/2005/03/16/laser-hummer-in-iraq/

LASER HUMMER IN IRAQ

The Armys first and only battlefield laser system is back.

In 2003, the Army sent ZEUS, a Humvee armed with a 10kw solid-state laser, to Afghanistan, to blast mines and other explosives left over from years of war. In the six months ZEUS spent there, the laser-hummer zapped over 200 pieces of unexploded ordnance, according to the Army, “at one point setting a record for ordnance disposal by negating 51 pieces in less than 100 minutes.“

Now, ZEUS “is being forward deployed� again, Army Space and Missile Defense Command Lt. Gen. Larry Dodgen tells Defense Daily.
“According to spokesman at Headquarters, Department of the Army, ZEUS is in Iraq as part of a three-vehicle convoy protection concept being evaluated now,� DD adds.

ZEUS uses a pair of lasers to sizzle its targets, according to Sparta, Inc., the vehicle’s maker. A joystick-controlled green Nd:YAG laser is used to designate the target. One it’s locked, an invisible high-power Nd:YAG laser swerves around, to heat the sucker up.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2005/03/16/laser ... z0vNGia9C5
Defense.org

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. You can get a real life handheld laser now that can burn objects, and a Star Wars type lightsaber, for $299. See the links below to the manufacturer's website, which contain video demonstrations. I've always wanted a laser weapon.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasersaber
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:Check this out. You can get a real life handheld laser now that can burn objects, and a Star Wars type lightsaber, for $299. See the links below to the manufacturer's website, which contain video demonstrations. I've always wanted a laser weapon.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasersaber
Interesting, but little more than a novelty gadget for fat-pocketed Star Wars fans.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I dont know when a directed energy weapon has a tight enough beam to be considered a "laser". But "we" have already used directed-energy weapons against people with lethal results. It's been a while, but I BELIEVE the reports were from a street confrontation in Iraq back in mid 2000's. (As you rememember at the time "we" were also testing directed "non-lethal" sound weapons and microwave pain rays on the innocent people of iraq.) AFter an anti-AMerican protest or mob action, people were found roasted to death, the damage in the torso area, but their clothes were not burned. Sounded at the time to me like directed microwaves. Never heard mention of it again.

This doesnt mean the weapon was man-portable. And still perhaps not (yet) more cost-effective than high-power rifles etc.

Personally I have never like the phasers or lasers of Star Wars. Too preposterous. I like the "blasters" I read about in sci-fi. One hard-boiled detective was investigating a murder. "What did he die of", he was asked. "A missing chest", he answered.

In other words the target is not "disintegrated" into pure energy. creating a cataclysmic event, but rather the chest cavity (or whatever) is quickly heated to the point of a boil or beyond, and pop, there you go.

Hmmm... what happens to microwaved subject if wearing modern body armor with kevlar cloth and ceramic plates and all that shit?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Outer Limits = Source Material for the NWO?

Post by Jester »

PS I have been turning over in my mind why this energy weapon, or weapons, have not been deployed, as have things like drones, in order to create "shock and awe" on behalf of the NWO.

Came up with the answer while reading about "Project Blue Beam" as revealed in the 1990's, and discussed privately by Werner Von Braun in the 1970's. (Basically an attempt to create panic by using broadcasts and holography to fake an alien invasion, and possibly a Second Coming of Christ or other wannabe Messiahs.)

The bottom line: "RAY-GUNS" (as we used to call them ) are in our subconscious, the ultimate weapon of aliens.

As evidenced in this prescient episode of the Outer Limits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Architects_of_Fear

Sorry I cant find video, but I remember clearly (I was around in 1963 :) ).... the phony alien used a LASER PISTOL to establish his creds as an actual alien.... thus uniting humanity in resistance. Thus bringing on a One-World government.

Anyway that's a hypothesis for why these weapons are not deployed at least in small numbers, even though they clearly, obviously exist.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I've always found it surprising that small arms (the declared ones anyway) haven't really improved in over a century. In the nineteenth century they went from flintlock muskets to belt-fed machine guns. After that, though arms became more ergonomic and developed for particular niches, the basics stayed the same.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

My stepfather was like one of the head mathematics guy's formulating the numbers on the Star Wars program in the 80's in Los Alamos.
Time to Hide!
targetguy
Freshman Poster

bright light

Post by targetguy »

8) These laser type lights can be used as a defense weapon if aimed at a opponent for self defense and can blind them temporarily. That and some tear gas or gun seems to be needed these days with the amount of daylight robberies in many foreign countries.
no scammers
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: bright light

Post by Jester »

targetguy wrote:8) These laser type lights can be used as a defense weapon if aimed at a opponent for self defense and can blind them temporarily. That and some tear gas or gun seems to be needed these days with the amount of daylight robberies in many foreign countries.
Very good point.

I am in Mexico and can't have have guns without citizenship, cash-handling business or a legal Mexican wife (in her name). But many Latin countries allow a lot of stuff like that the US doesn't.

I need to look into this. I feel very safe here, better on average than LA, not as safe as rich parts of LA. But if I start being responsible for a slender petite little jovena - that changes the equation - you start thinking about weapons.

One thing I would love to get a hold of is a belt with a built in metal wire whip that you draw out of it. I would think it could discourage even several attackers with knives. And you could always have it with you.

If I find out it's legal here, I will try to buy.

The lasers and gas are good ideas too, laser especially would make sense in a car glovebox, in case you encountered a carload of belligerents.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Jester wrote: I am in Mexico and can't have have guns without citizenship, cash-handling business or a legal Mexican wife (in her name). But many Latin countries allow a lot of stuff like that the US doesn't.
I need to look into this. I feel very safe here, better on average than LA, not as safe as rich parts of LA. But if I start being responsible for a slender petite little jovena - that changes the equation - you start thinking about weapons.
Do you really want to be found in Mexico with anything that resembles a gun or ammunition, outside of private hunting ranches with paid guide in tow?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:
Jester wrote: I am in Mexico and can't have have guns without citizenship, cash-handling business or a legal Mexican wife (in her name). But many Latin countries allow a lot of stuff like that the US doesn't.
Do you really want to be found in Mexico with anything that resembles a gun or ammunition, outside of private hunting ranches with paid guide in tow?
Not sure I made myself clear. By "weapons" I meant the non-lethal stuff that may be legal.

There are places I would buy an underground gun, but Mexico isn't one of them.
Tezcatlipoca
Freshman Poster

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

Stop being angry at the stuff you don't have (yet) in life and instead focus on how to get it.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Do real laser guns exist yet?

Post by Winston »

NBC news warns parents not to buy a wicked laser as a toy for their kids because it's dangerous. lol. Typical paranoid America.

Can be purchased at:
http://www.wickedlasers.com

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Do real laser guns exist yet?

Post by Winston »

Until real laser guns exist, I can get these toy phasers from Star Trek. lol. I just got one from Ebay. I always wanted one as a kid. :)