Deep philosophical/esoteric films worth checking out

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Deep philosophical/esoteric films worth checking out

Post by Winston »

Check out these films. A lot of people have rated them as 10 star masterpieces!

The Fountain

Spanning over one thousand years, and three parallel stories, The Fountain is a story of love, death, spirituality, and the fragility of our existence in this world.

Look! Everyone on IMDB gave it 10 stars! They said that it's comparable to 2001: A Space Odyssey as perhaps the greatest film ever made!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/reviews

Trailer:

The Tree of Life

This unusual film starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn is supposed to be a weird one that jumps back and forth without following a storyline. What's funny is that everyone on IMDB either gave it 1 star or 10 stars. lol It's like you either totally hate it or worship it as a deep masterpiece. lol Check out the mix of 1 and 10 star reviews below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/reviews

Trailer:

Last edited by Winston on September 29th, 2013, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Atrocious
Freshman Poster

Post by Atrocious »

I've seen fountain but haven't seen Tree of life yet. The first one liked a lot. The second one must be quite interesting too. It makes one think a lot.
We are all facing the choice between what is right and what is easy.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just saw The Fountain, and wow, I am speechless. I had no idea what was going on in that last 20 minutes as the protagonist reaches the dying star in the nebula where he becomes enlightened and all his past lives come together, until I read interpretations of it on the IMDB message boards. That last part was a timeless masterpiece. It was very poetic, artistic, and dazzling. Something truly special.

Here are a few clips from the ending. It is incomplete, but the only ones I could find.

Here are two credible interpretations of the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/boa ... 940256?p=1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/boa ... 751723?p=1
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
swincor
Freshman Poster

Post by swincor »

You have a tendency to exaggerate, Winston. I saw "Drag Me to Hell" -- please. It wasn't THAT scary. You made it seem like it was the most horribly scary movie of all time. What was so scary about it? Not once did I feel horror or fright.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

swincor__ wrote:You have a tendency to exaggerate, Winston. I saw "Drag Me to Hell" -- please. It wasn't THAT scary. You made it seem like it was the most horribly scary movie of all time. What was so scary about it? Not once did I feel horror or fright.
It was grotesque, loud, and annoying. Every minute something awful happened. That's not the mark of a good horror movie.

I am not exaggerating. If you read the 10 star comments on IMDB about The Fountain, you'll see that many others are raving about it just as much and in greater detail. Same with the YouTube comments.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Have any of you seen these? They look very interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/

Waking Life (2001)

Dreams. What are they? An escape from reality or reality itself? Waking Life follows the dream(s) of one man and his attempt to find and discern the absolute difference between waking life and the dreamworld. While trying to figure out a way to wake up, he runs into many people on his way; some of which offer one sentence asides on life, others delving deeply into existential questions and life's mysteries. We become the main character. It becomes our dream and our questions being asked and answered. Can we control our dreams? What are they telling us about life? About death? About ourselves and where we come from and where we are going? The film does not answer all these for us. Instead, it inspires us to ask the questions and find the answers ourselves.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808185/

The Bothersome Man (2006) - Made in Norway

Forty-year-old Andreas arrives in a strange city with no memory of how he got there. He is presented with a job, an apartment - even a wife. But before long, Andreas notices that something is wrong. Andreas makes an attempt to escape the city, but he discovers there's no way out. Andreas meets Hugo, who has found a crack in a wall in his cellar. Beautiful music streams out from the crack. Maybe it leads to "the other side"? A new plan for escape is hatched.

buddy77
Freshman Poster

Two i would like to recommend

Post by buddy77 »

Is

Dark City- is about a man that wakes up while others were asleep,
he discovers the truth about his world

V- a soceity controlled thru fear, by a corrupt government/ police state
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Mr. Wu, is that you in the Swincor picture?
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Two i would like to recommend

Post by Winston »

buddy77 wrote:Is

Yeah Dark City was great. I'm not sure I understand the ending though.

I think you mean "V For Vendetta" right? Don't confuse it with the V series from the 80's where aliens disguised as reptilians come to Earth. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Moretorque wrote:Mr. Wu, is that you in the Swincor picture?
Yeah. Why?

And why are you asking irrelevant questions in this thread?

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Oh nothing , I just wanted you to know you are very handsome in blue as well. :D

Have you see the " Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death" ? that is a very philosophical film about the sexes.
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This one with Sean Connery is like a version of The Brave New World.

Zardoz (1974)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070948/

In the far future, a savage trained only to kill finds a way into the community of bored immortals that alone preserves humanity's achievements.

In the distant future Earth is divided into two camps, the barely civilized group and the overly civilized one with mental powers. A plague is attacking the second group, after which its members cease to have any interest in life and become nearly catatonic. When Zed, one of the barbarians, crosses over, the tenuous balance in their world is threatened.

Trailer:

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Great philosophical films worth checking out

Post by Winston »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2884206/

I Origins (2014)

A graduate student, Ian Gray, is researching the evolution of human eyes with Karen and Kenny, in order to discredit creationists by proving that eyes have evolved. Seven years later, when the hospital takes an iris scan of his son and enters into the database, they appear to match with another person's eyes, which suggested that their son may be some sort of reincarnation of the deceased man.

Review:

Superly Awesome Drama !

27 December 2014 | by Shalin Shukla (India) – See all my reviews

Yes, we do not fully understand how complex, chaotic or random nature is, but deep down in our heart we always feel that there is something which connects us to everything that has ever existed or exists. Just like the fact that we are all star dust coming from a singular event that happened billions of years ago. Still here we are questioning and reasoning every possible way we can to the very creator of the whole scheme.

I Origins gives you one of the best way possible to explain the interconnection of the complex yet simple world we live in and soul we carry. Acting and casting are perfect and so as direction and editing. At one point it gave me goosebumps, just by imagining a possibility that what if it is true ?!

A must watch.

* Interesting how the movie poster looks like a black sun, which is an occult symbol of secret societies. Probably has an Illuminati meaning.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Deep philosophical films worth checking out

Post by Winston »

Here is a great new "Brave New World" type of future dystopia film. The plot sounds very interesting and the dystopia world of no emotion resembles the fakeness that modern America is heading.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435651/

The Giver (2014)

This film, based on Lois Lowry's book, tells the story of a perfect world. Everyone here is happy. When Jonas is 18 years old, he's chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. He enters into training with an old man called 'the Giver' who would give Jonas memories of the "real" world that the rest of the community is hidden from. From the Giver, Jonas learns not only of love and family, but also of pain, war, and all the unhappy truths the world holds. He quickly realizes that his community is fake. Confronted with this reality, Jonas faces difficult choices about his own life and the futures of many people he's become close to.

The haunting story of THE GIVER centers on Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. The film is based on Lois Lowry's beloved young adult novel of the same name, which was the winner the 1994 Newbery Medal and has sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

Trailers

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Two i would like to recommend

Post by Winston »

buddy77 wrote:Is

Dark City is supposed to whistleblow the flat earth that we live on that is totally mind controlled. You can see the whole film now on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6h4nIwtERs

Jennifer Connelly looks hot in it.