Anyone else miss the 80's?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:I happened to stumble on this thread just as I'm listening to the Grand Theft Auto Vice City (which takes place in 1986, by the way) soundtrack!! I love everything about the 80s but especially the music! Give a listen to these gems!

Phil Collins was no joke! For me, Phil Collins brings back the memories of the short times I spent with my dad in the 80's and remembering his obsession with Lamborghini Countach.

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

homme wrote:The reason the music was better back then is obvious: rap and hip-hop weren't pushed onto the mainstream like they are now.

The 80s was the last decade when white musicians dominated the Billboard pop charts. That made all the difference. ~ swincor

What's funny is what's all the fascination with rap music from non Africans? It's commonly known that in the 90's rap took off because young white kids in the suburbs were buying all the rap music and going to the rap concerts. Young black teens in the 90's couldn't even afford the afford $17 bucks for a CD, let alone concert tickets. Whites then came out with their own rap such as Beastie boys, Insane Clown Posse, Vanilla Ice, and my favorite, House of Pain.

And it still isn't over, all the rap from the 1990's is now VERY popular today with the young whites in Ukraine, Serbia and Germany. So that being said, rap is not being "pushed" on anybody if urban black music can jump across cultural, continental, and linguistic barriers.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

There was a much better hard country music scene back then, as well...

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 22nd, 2016, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Ghost wrote:Well, I often get on youtube and look up songs, TV intros, cartoons, and commercials, etc. from the 80s. I was born toward the end of it though. I was ultimately a 90s kid. It seems like it was so innocent then, even though I know it was even nearly. 90s feminism was heavy then, but I was a kid, so it didn't even matter to me then. The TV was better. Most of the best video games came out then. The music, though...I would say the 80s win in that category, and probably on cartoons as well.

I'm very nostalgic, and still wish I could relive childhood sometimes.
I was lucky I was born in the late 70s. I got to experience some great times during the 80s. It probably was the best era to be a kid/teenager/young adult. The 90s was a little too cynical and trashy for my tastes, but it was still good for the most part. After the 90s, the U.S. has just gone down the trashheap imo.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The Tubes - She's A Beauty

De La Soul - Me, Myself And I

Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done To Deserve This

dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Post by dreamer82 »

I don't think movies were mentioned like the john hugh's films starring the brat pack. Also the big blockbusters were sometimes funny even if a little violent like "Beverly Hills Cop" and "Die Hard" and "Terminator". Did anyone notice how most of the aliens from the 80's were good? Now, they all want to invade the earth (except for "Paul" although he was cynical) and kill everybody.

The movies together with the music and TV were altogether positive and combined to make the 80's feel like a good decade. Even my username has 82 in it because it was a good year.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

The girls were better-looking and they weren't covered with tattoos and piercings. They were bitchy and out of my league, but at least they were nice to look at. And I never saw fit, handsome men dating fat hogs either.
Nowadays it's hard to find decent-looking women even on a college campus.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Hero wrote:The girls were better-looking and they weren't covered with tattoos and piercings. They were bitchy and out of my league, but at least they were nice to look at. And I never saw fit, handsome men dating fat hogs either.
Nowadays it's hard to find decent-looking women even on a college campus.
+1

Although I was born in the mid-1980s I was able to see how women during that time still looked nice and did not look like hogs like they do today. Even in the early part of the 1990s too. This country fell pretty hard.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

aozora13 wrote: Although I was born in the mid-1980s I was able to see how women during that time still looked nice and did not look like hogs like they do today. Even in the early part of the 1990s too. This country fell pretty hard.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

By 1996 women had become bitches and men became their door-mats:

"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Digit
Freshman Poster

Post by Digit »

I Love the movies and music of the 80ies! Cant stand most stuff nowadays that hits the cinemas and modern pop music is garbae.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

This was a popular song and music video from 1985 by Starship. The song is called, "Sara."

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I thought overall the music from the 70's and 60's was way better than the eighties. Some of it was good but a lot was real bad in my opinion.
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just remembered something. In 1983 - 1985, girls at my school in elementary and Junior High, did flirt with me and chased me around the campus, even if it was just for fun. I felt intimidated by it and didn't know what to do since I was shy and had no skills with girls. I even remember the name of the girl who flirted with me most aggressively, "Kristi Hillhouse". She was very cute. But unfortunately, I can't find her on Google. :(

So yes, back in the 80's, girls did flirt with guys. But in the 1990's, I never saw any girls flirt, not with me or anyone else. It seems that they stopped flirting in the 1990's and instead became angry and hateful of men, seeing them as creeps.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne