Why is Fight Club considered a deep philosophical film?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Why is Fight Club considered a deep philosophical film?

Post by Winston »

Why do people say that Fight Club was a deep philosophical film about human nature and the deep ugly truths about the world? I saw it once long ago and it seemed violent and meaningless. Did I miss something? Can someone explain it to me? What should you look for in the film to understand it?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Holy f**k you're in Vegas watching Fight Club when you could be here dating white legged ladies?

The film's about soap man, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, I found a new place that's a "hairdressers" but there's like 6-7 beautiful women in there and nobody's cutting hair. Plus there's a "spa" next door.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

No. I saw Fight Club many years ago.

What is a "spa" exactly? And what do you do there? Isn't "spa" a very broad term?

Also Xiongmao, just because you don't see anything deep in something doesn't mean that there's nothing deep there or that no one else does. Don't assume that everything beyond your comprehension doesn't exist. That's a common male fallacy.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote:Holy f**k you're in Vegas watching Fight Club when you could be here dating white legged ladies?
+1

:lol:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why is Fight Club considered a deep philosophical film?

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:Why do people say that Fight Club was a deep philosophical film about human nature and the deep ugly truths about the world? I saw it once long ago and it seemed violent and meaningless. Did I miss something? Can someone explain it to me? What should you look for in the film to understand it?
My view is that it's about the forbidden topic of Manhood -- and how have allowed ourselves to be tamed. And how we need to get it back, by any means necesary.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just watched Fight Club again. Wow the entire movie is different than I remember. I don't know why. Was I in a parallel universe the first time I saw it years ago? Has that ever happened to you before?

Anyway, I understood the film a lot better this time. It's about shattering the illusions and imprisonment that society has placed upon us and saying "to hell with it". There are a lot of truisms in the film, such as "what you own ends up owning you" and many other sayings.

I was also shocked at how it forecasted 9/11 even though it was made in 1999. At the beginning of the film, the term "controlled demolition" is mentioned in reference to destroying buildings, which is how the twin towers were brought down on 9/11. Also, near the end, the term "Ground Zero" is used, which is the site of the WTC towers. How eerie! And the film ends with large financial center buildings being demolished, just like on 9/11. It was like some sort of predictive programming. So trippy!

Here are some clips from Fight Club that forecast 9/11.

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

In my opinion, Fight Club is one of the best movies of our generation. It tells you about materialism, women, the nature of the self, social rejection, and rejecting modern society and its values.

The good quotes in that movie go on and on.

Quotes from Fight Club:

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.â€￾

“This is your life and its ending one moment at a time.â€￾

“The things you used to own, now they own you.â€￾

“You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your f***ing khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.â€￾

“Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart.â€￾

“We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.â€￾

“I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.â€￾

“You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.â€￾

“The girl is infectious human waste, and she's confused and afraid to commit to the wrong thing and so she won't commit to anything.â€￾

“I see in the fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.â€￾
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:I just watched Fight Club again. Wow the entire movie is different than I remember. I don't know why. Was I in a parallel universe the first time I saw it years ago? Has that ever happened to you before?

Anyway, I understood the film a lot better this time. It's about shattering the illusions and imprisonment that society has placed upon us and saying "to hell with it". There are a lot of truisms in the film, such as "what you own ends up owning you" and many other sayings.

I was also shocked at how it forecasted 9/11 even though it was made in 1999. At the beginning of the film, the term "controlled demolition" is mentioned in reference to destroying buildings, which is how the twin towers were brought down on 9/11. Also, near the end, the term "Ground Zero" is used, which is the site of the WTC towers. How eerie! And the film ends with large financial center buildings being demolished, just like on 9/11. It was like some sort of predictive programming. So trippy!

Here are some clips from Fight Club that forecast 9/11.

It looks like Jack is really Osama Bin Laden! Who knew!

I thought I was a wacky conspiracy theorist!
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.