Any good movies with Happier Abroad themes?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Deformed
Freshman Poster

Any good movies with Happier Abroad themes?

Post by Deformed »

the only ones I can think about are hangover II and Ellecium
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

Mutiny on the Bounty
Dances with Wolves
City Slickers
American Beauty
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

I've always been a fan of Fight Club, personally. Made me realize all of this was bullshit 14 years ago.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Crumb - At the end of the movie, he is packing to leave the country.
Cowboy del Amor
ezbusrider12
Freshman Poster

Post by ezbusrider12 »

Dennis
Birthday Girl
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 6th, 2020, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

People should also watch movies which are not in English (with English subtitles) in order to expose themselves to new things. A lot of this website is about "thinking outside the box" and watching foreign films is one small way to step out of the box that most Americans are stuck in.

Here is a trailer for the Czech movie "Želary" which I found quite moving. It's about a young Czech woman who escapes to the countryside and falls in love with an older man during wartime.

Last edited by Jackal on February 22nd, 2014, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

There was a Julia Roberts movie called "Eat Pray Love" where she goes abroad to escape the rut of her life in America. It's a HA related film, but it stars a woman, so I don't know if you want to see it. lol. I saw it and it's ok but kind of caters to AW, because she's an AW who gets pursued by handsome young foreign women. lol

Eat Pray Love (2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0879870/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"Dances with Wolves" is another one. I just saw it again, the extended four hour version with an overture and intermission. Wow I'm speechless. It's a lot more than just a movie. It's like a spiritual experience and a great epic as well. Every moment in it is meaningful and moving. And the masterpiece musical score makes every moment moving and soulful as well. I've never seen such a musical score complement a film so well.

What's special and unique about this film is that when the protagonist character John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) slowly transforms into a Native American soul, you (the viewer) feel like you are going through the transformation process along with him. That's what makes it like an experience, rather than just a film.

What's more, if you are a white American guy with a deep observant genuine soul and personality, you will relate to John Dunbar's character - his alienation from his white culture, as well as his connection with the Sioux tribe. (Thus this film has a Happier Abroad theme to it as well) Dunbar is the only deep observation genuine white character in the film, along with his lover, because the rest of the white characters in this epic seem so degenerate and hollow, or robotic, in comparison.

I would try to see this on a big screen though, so you can appreciate the scenery, which most of this film focuses on, even more than the characters. Set aside four hours and dim the lights to see it. Then you will understand what I mean.

I think it's one of the top ten best films of all time. And it's Costner's best role as well. Check out the reviews for it on IMDB. Almost everyone gave it a 10 out of 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/reviews

Also, on Amazon.com nearly every reviewer gave it 5 stars out of 5 as well.

You can get it from torrent sites, but unless you have a media player or hook up your laptop to the TV, you won't be able to see it on your TV. You can get the DVD version on Amazon.com for 5 dollars (see the link above) or download it from Amazon.com for a few dollars at:

I think it's a Happier Abroad film too because in the story, John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) experiences social connection, harmony and genuineness with the Sioux tribe, and then realizes how hollow and empty his white culture is. His soul slowly becomes Sioux, to the point where he doesn't fit in anymore with American life. The soldiers at the end who capture and persecute him look so degenerate, soulless and depraved compared to the Sioux tribe he joined. Only then do you realize the comparison.

Anyway, this is a must see film. It reflects the spirit and feeling of our movement. Everyone should see it to understand our point of view better.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a list of Happier Abroad related films on IMDB. It's called "List of Going Native Films".

http://www.imdb.com/list/Zm2ei6el2hM/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I think "Eat Pray Love" is more about a bored upper class woman finding the ultimate feeds for her massive entitlement problem. When I was in Bali I heard half the local population going proud of having their spots featured in a class A Hollywood movie. In fact it's one of the few movies I have refused to watch, as a matter of principle.

As a "disconnect with the world" movie I would recommend Mediterraneo, 1991 Oscar for Best Foreign Language movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterraneo

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Harrison Ford was in a movie....

A guy and his fiancee are to rendezvous on a remote island resort in the South Pacific. Her plane crashes, she is missing... Her man is distraught.... Finds comfort in the arms of a dishy Polynesian girl..

That's all I remember.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Hey guys check out this movie, which definitely has a "happier abroad" theme, it's called, "Teddy Bear." It won the Sundance Film Festival award in 2012.

"Physically massive but shy and socially inept, a 38-year-old Danish bodybuilder longs to fall in love -- but finds it impossible. He has never had a girlfriend and lives alone with his mother in a suburb of Copenhagen. When his uncle marries a girl from Thailand, Dennis decides to try his own luck on a trip to Pattaya, as it seems that love is easier to find in Thailand.. Traveling to Thailand, he learns some unexpected lessons about life and love."

Here are the trailers for the film, each one shows some different scenes from the movie. It's available to rent on Netflix with instant viewing and by DVD.

Last edited by jamesbond on March 5th, 2014, 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester wrote:Harrison Ford was in a movie....

A guy and his fiancee are to rendezvous on a remote island resort in the South Pacific. Her plane crashes, she is missing... Her man is distraught.... Finds comfort in the arms of a dishy Polynesian girl..

That's all I remember.
Yeah I remember that. It was called "Seven Days and Nights" or something. It was the first film that me and my ex saw together when it came out in the late 1990's. It's not a Happier Abroad film though. It's just a romance comedy where a couple go on vacation and then fall in love with other people. That's all.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Well the islander girl was sure a hottie!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

Don't forget The Shawshank Redemption.

Also the New World from 2006 is long and sometimes weird but very good. They had to edit parts of his romance with the teen girl so they wouldn't get in trouble with western censors, typical BS.

The original Happier Abroad Movie or story is still Mutiny on the Bounty since it is over 200 years old. The Movies are extremely conservative however. If you read the real story, it was a an orgy. Imagine going from 6 months of sex on a pacific island to life in the British Navy.

Excerpt:

"The ship set sail in 1787 on a pedestrian mission, to collect breadfruit seedlings to feed the slaves on Britain colonial plantations in the West Indies. Politics and bureaucracy, the curses of empire, delayed their departure, causing the ship to arrive in Tahiti near the start of the Pacific's deadly typhoon season. The young commander, Lieutenant William Bligh, and his crew were forced to wait almost six months in a sailors fantasyland"

"Beautiful women swam naked out to the ship. They introduced the men to a sexual culture that would have humbled Casanova. Captain James Cook, on one of his earlier history-making visits, committed examples of the sexual freedom to his diary. One entry would become the foundation of the Polynesian culture argument centuries later: Tahitian royalty invited Cook to a ceremony during which a young Fellow above 6 feet high performed the rights of Venus to a little girl about 11 to 12 years of age publicly.

"The island changed the men of the Bounty irretrievably. Three weeks after leaving Tahiti, the benighted Bligh awoke with a sword at his throat and Master Mate Fletcher Christian taking his ship. Bligh and a crew of 18 loyalists were placed aboard a 23-foot cutter and miraculously navigated their way to safety 3,600 miles away. No one will ever know the true reasons for the mutiny. Was it the siren call of paradise on Tahiti? Had Bligh, as records and contemporary accounts suggest, turned on Christian and driven him mad?"

Read the full story here:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... airn200801#
Last edited by Will N. Dowd on April 25th, 2020, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.