List of common movie cliches and tropes that are ridiculous, dumb and nonsensical

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Re:

Post by The_Adventurer »

droid wrote:
-A 110 pounder chick that kicks the a** of 250 pound douchebags and sends them flying across the room (feminist BS). Talk about suspension of disbelief.
I've seen worse. How about a 110 pound female LAWYER, where it's never established she has any sort of training, kicks the ass of some SPECIAL FORCES guys who come to capture her. She is eventually captured, but she takes a few guys down before that happens.

I heard the studios have rules, (from where?) and that every action show MUST have at least one scene of a woman beating up a man.

But my absolute favourite:

If you see someone shaving in a movie or TV show, they will cut themselves.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: List of stupid movie cliches that don't happen in realit

Post by Winston »

Any of you seen the 2016 remake of The Magnificent Seven? Lol. I just saw it and man..... Theres some scenes in the end that will absolutely KILL you if you care about logic at all! It goes way beyond insulting your intelligence. Ive never been mocked by an ending like that in a western film before! Lol

Anyway most of the film was entertaining, fun and brainless. But the long battle scene at the end between hundreds of people leaves open so much room for criticism......

First of all, the hundreds of men and women shooting each other in the town on both sides are all wearing the same type of clothes. How the hell can everyone tell who is on which side? They were all riding around in circles during the mass gunfight too. It'd be easy to get everyone mixed up. Theres no way to tell who to shoot and whos on which side. It was a total mess.

Second, the scene at the end with chris pratt, one of the magnificent seven good guys, will totally kill you! Lol. The guy gets shot at least five times. He takes five bullets in his torso as hes approaching the bad guys shooting the gatling gun!

You think he must be dead after five bullets go into him. Yet he gets up and manages to smoke a cigar as though it were funny! Then you wonder "why wont the f***er die? Geez!"

Then as the bad guys are about to finish him off with another shot, he finally collapses as hes smoking the cigar. Then you think, finally the bastard dies. Then...... Get this........ He suddenly GETS UP again! This time hes holding a stick of dynamite too!

The bad guys just stand there and say "uh oh hes got dynamite" before he throws it at the gatling gun and blows them all up! Lol. No f***ing way! Lol. Get outta here! That wouldnt even happen in a cartoon! Its the most insulting scene i ever seen in a film!!!!!!

Whats more, when he got up again with the dynamite, there was several seconds in which the bad guys could have quickly shot him again so that the dynamite would only blow up chris pratt and not them. Thats what the bad guys should have done. There was plenty of time to shoot him again. But instead they just stand there and say "uh oh" before getting blown up. Stupid cliche.

Third, why is it that when the bad guys get shot once, they die immediately. But the good guys can take 4 or 5 gunshots or arrows each before they slowly die? Whats the logic behind that? How does being a good guy allow one to take 4 or 5 bullets before one dies a very slow death? Lol. Bizarre. But I've seen that in many action movies before. Many action films have the good guys taking many bullets before they die. Its a cliche pretty much.

What i dont get is why they cant make an action flick, even a brainless one, without so many bad logic flaws, impossibilities and cliches. I mean i expect there to be some exaggerations and impossibilities in any action movie. But why make them so bad and extreme as this? To insult our intelligence? Lol.

This one really takes the cake. Its entertaining but the scenes above are just too much. Way over the top. I thought id seen the worst insults to my intelligence from movies already, until this one. This is the worst and takes the cake. Lol. It will kill you if you like to analyze films in the slightest. Lol.

The Magnificent Seven (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404435/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

How can a guy get shot five times and then get up and smoke a cigarette? Lol. That really takes the cake. Why doesnt the bastard die? Lol

Also why does the surviving protagonist who finishes off the main villain need to be black? Denzel Washington. To be politically correct? Lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: List of stupid movie cliches that are logically impossib

Post by MrMan »

I remember one of those old Lethal Weapon movies where Mel Gibson's character took a half dozen or so shots in the stomach and rib cage and the end, before his partner killed the South African guy.

When the next movie, Lethal Weapon 3 came out, I thought this movie doesn't count. Mel Gibson's character was dead in the last movie as far as I'm concerned.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

This guy is hilarious, he rants on the bulshit software used in movies and how they can "enhance" a pic to perfection, and on the beedee-bip bip sounds lol

1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

And "our sensors detect the energy signature of a nuclear missile"-- set in modern day times, not Star Trek. I asked an engineer with a PhD who studied sensor systems if there was technology to detect 'energy signatures' and he was unaware of it.
aliceseo
Freshman Poster

Post by aliceseo »

In all fairness Winston, the pillow thing does work.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

aliceseo wrote:In all fairness Winston, the pillow thing does work.
No it doesn't. Wanna bet? Try it on yourself or someone you know. Go ahead. How would you know it works? Have you killed someone with a pillow before? If not then how you know it works? Silly.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Are you willing to bet and submit yourself to it Winston? We can test one day one of us meets you. You tap-out you pay up. Well you need to put the wager (maybe 20 bucks or some beer) on the table first, in case you stubbornly don't tap haha
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Re: List of common movie cliches/tropes that are impossible and nonsensical

Post by Winston »

Some more common movie tropes and consistent patterns i noticed.

1. How come when cars make a turn on a street they always have to make that screeching tire sound? Even when they arent involved in a chase that happens too. Why cant cars make normal turns in the movies without screeching tire sounds? Lol. In real life tires dont screech unless they are balding and worn out.

2. How come when someone is dangling off the edge of a cliff or ledge in the movies, they can never so the obvious thing and use their feet to climb on whatever is under the ledge or cliff to get back up? In such scenes its as if their legs dont exist. Lol

3. Don't you hate those conveyor belt scenes or wall closing in on them scenes where the protagonist or damsel in distress is moving toward getting chopped up at the end of a moving conveyor belt, or a wall is closing in on them, and no matter how close they get, they never reach it and it looks like they should have reached the end long ago? Its like the scene keeps rewinding over and over again. Makes no sense. It just tries to prolong something to keep you in suspense. A classic example of this is in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". In that one the stone roof above was closing down on them and it took forever, even when it was almost upon them several times. Lol

4. Also how come people talk on the phone in movies and TV shows they never say "goodbye" or "talk to you later" at the end of a conversation? Instead they just hang up? Ive seen that in hong kong or russia too when people are in a rush. But in America you usually make a closing remark at the end of a call. You dont just hang up. I guess movies and TV shows consider saying bye on the phone to be superfluous or that it interrupts the scene? Lol. Either way its kind of odd.

5. Have you noticed that on TV shows in the 60s and 70s that they could knock someone unconscious by just hitting them near the neck with a simple strike or karate chop? It seemed awfully easy to take out a guard that way back then. Today they just take the persons head and bash it on a wall to knock them out. Its far more violent than a karate chop to the neck or shoulder. Lol

Anyone want to add any more? Lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

droid wrote:
April 28th, 2017, 5:51 am
Are you willing to bet and submit yourself to it Winston? We can test one day one of us meets you. You tap-out you pay up. Well you need to put the wager (maybe 20 bucks or some beer) on the table first, in case you stubbornly don't tap haha
Sure @droid. Lol. But how long would the test be? I mean how much time would you be allowed to use a pillow to try to suffocate me? Can you do it in 5 seconds like they show in the movies? Lol. You know i can hold my breath for 3 minutes right? How much time would you need for the test? And would you use your hands only like they show in the movies?

Also would I be allowed to turn or wiggle my head while you try it? Lol

Are you saying you tried it on yourself and it worked? You couldn't breathe? Lol. Are you joking or arguing for sport? Have you seriously tried it on yourself?

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Hollywood movies are filled with cliches and things that are not real. For instance, in movies it shows men easily being able to meet women and get laid. We all know that is completely false in America.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The worst trope or cliche is when someone points a gun at the protagonist and gets so close to him that you know he is going to snatch the gun away from him. Who does that? It makes no sense. It's like they want to have their gun snatched from them. So stupid. If you're holding a gun at someone you don't need to get so close to them for them to take your gun. You can keep your distance a few meters at least so you have time to shoot them if they try to run away or take the gun. Why would you let them take your gun? So dumb. Yet this happens so often in movies. It's unjustifiable and defies basic logic and is so annoying and predictable.

The worst example of this is in the Hitman movies. The Hitman takes out his gun and shoots tons of people easily like a cheap video game. Yet no one shoots him even when they have him outnumbered and surrounded. And when someone finally points a gun at him, they always walk up to him and get really close so they can have their gun snatched from them, instead of just shooting and killing the Hitman like they should. Really stupid. And it doesn't just happen once, it happens multiple times in those movies.

It happens a lot in cheap Steven Seagal movies too. Anyone who points a gun at Seagal walks up close to him on purpose so Seagal can take their gun. Happens every time. Completely stupid. They should at least do something more unpredictable or have him use some skill to disarm someone rather than that same dumb predictable move every time.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: List of common movie cliches and tropes that are ridiculous, dumb and nonsensical

Post by Winston »

Any of you notice these common movie tropes and cliches that are in almost every movie, but make no sense?

1. Someone is hanging off a ledge that needs to be rescued. He or she can easily use their feet to climb the wall and get themselves back up easily, but they don't seem to know that for some reason. In real life, even an animal would try to use their feet to climb back up from a ledge or cliff, if there was some surface to push their feet on. But even when movies show that there is clearly a wall or rock for their feet to push up on, they still never do it. Totally nonsensical. It's a stupid plot device for them to be rescued by someone, or to fall and die if that's in the script. After all, if they propelled themselves back up on their own it wouldn't be interesting or keep you in suspense. So stupid and fake.

2. Every time a car makes a turn, even if it's not in a chase scene, the tires screech, as if a turn without tires screeching is too boring to watch. lol. Usually tires only screech if you either turn too fast, or if your tires are balding and wearing out. But normally people turn a corner in their car without tires screeching. Yet in movies the tires screech nearly 100 percent of the time when the car makes a turn. lol

3. How come when people talk on the phone in a movie, they always hang up abruptly without saying "goodbye" like people do in real life? Is a "goodbye" which takes half a second, really that hard to put in? Does it really eat up too much time? lol. In real life people don't just hang up without saying "goodbye" or "later". Very unrealistic and rude and unnatural.

4. How come during shootout scenes with gunfire, where enemies are shooting at each other, the bad guys always waste all their bullets shooting at something? In a life or death situation, who wastes all their bullets like that? Why not wait til you get a good shot before firing your gun at your enemy? Yet in movies, when the good guys hide behind a wall or barrier, the bad guys waste all their bullets shooting at objects just to make a mess of the scene and so we can watch things blowing up everywhere. Stupid. It pisses me off because no one would do that just to make a fireworks show of bullets, especially if they are trying to kill someone. Yet bad guys are always happy to waste all their bullets for fun and then when they run out, it annoys me. Running out of bullets can cost you your life, so why would they want to do that? It makes no sense.

5. Have you noticed in most action movies, the protagonist doesn't do anything smart or skillful or strong to win in the end? Usually some last second lucky thing happens just in the nick of time to save them or divert/distract/foil the bad guys, something that would normally be at odds of one in a thousand, and could not be relied upon in real life. Yet in movies, they happen like 100 percent of the time. So ridiculous, cliched and predictable. It makes you lose respect for the protagonist because they won by luck only, and improbable luck at that. No way can something or someone always intervene at the very last second and save them at a thousand to one odds like that, every time. So fake and an insult to my intelligence. This makes me get tired of movies.

Do any of you get annoyed when you see these dumb unrealistic tropes or cliches in movies too?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: List of common movie cliches and tropes that are ridiculous, dumb and nonsensical

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 2:51 am
droid wrote:
April 28th, 2017, 5:51 am
Sure @droid. Lol. But how long would the test be? I mean how much time would you be allowed to use a pillow to try to suffocate me? Can you do it in 5 seconds like they show in the movies? Lol. You know i can hold my breath for 3 minutes right? How much time would you need for the test? And would you use your hands only like they show in the movies?

Also would I be allowed to turn or wiggle my head while you try it? Lol

Are you saying you tried it on yourself and it worked? You couldn't breathe? Lol. Are you joking or arguing for sport? Have you seriously tried it on yourself?
Furthermore droid, I challenge you to find a newspaper or news report where someone in real life was able to murder someone by simply putting a pillow over their face for 5 or 10 seconds like in the movies. Or even for one minute. Or at all. I'll bet you can't. Because in real life, no one kills someone with a pillow over the face. Go and try to look for a real life example of it.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm sure you guys will agree with this one and hate it too.

Have you noticed that in most modern movies, most of the men in them, except the protagonist male, are either:

1. Mean asshole pricks who are abusive and slap people around and hit them for no reason, just so you will hate them and root against them. They especially like to hit women. It seems they are ready to become violent for any reason, even for no reason and always look on edge 24/7.

2. Stupid drunkards who act drunk all the time and have low IQ and act like total losers and dumbfucks all the time, 24/7. You wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Some act psycho too, and have psycho eyes that make Charles Manson look normal.

3. Weak p***y men who in a crisis situation, will freeze up and cry, so that strong female characters can take charge of the situation and whip them into shape and tell them what to do in order to get through the situation. As if men are weaker than women both physically and emotionally. Yeah right.

The only decent men in movies are usually the protagonist male or hero male only. Most of the other males are one of the above. Have you noticed that? Doesn't it piss you off? I don't know any guy in real life that fits the above, so why is almost every guy in movies one of the above negative caricatures? Stupid. It's very ANTI-MALE for sure. Why does Hollywood hate men so much and have such a low opinion of them?

If any of you seen a Stephen King movie based on one of his books, you will especially see psycho men who are highly abusive and violent for no reason at all, just to make you hate them or fear them. Stephen King especially likes to portray men that way. I don't know why. Does he hate men? Why would he hate his own gender? Is he a self-hating male?