I am Not Happy (Your Name)

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

I am Not Happy (Your Name)

Post by The_Adventurer »

I am very unhappy right now.

The reason is not what you might think. As I have written before, I didn't have girl troubles in USA, and I certainly didn't have any since leaving for Asia many years ago. No. The reason I am so unhappy is because of this:

Let me explain. Back in 2002, I made my second trip to Japan. I was on a speaking tour promoting my first animated film and showing off behind the scenes stuff on my second, which was still in production. During my time there, I learned of this young guy, named Makoto Shinkai, who had done a solo anime film, like I was doing. We invited him to our event, but he couldn't make it. Anyway, as I looked further into it, I learned that his DVD had pre-sold 50,000 copies. In searching for it, it was nearly impossible to find. After searching over a dozen stores all over Akihabara (geek town), I found one store, that had one last copy, on the last day before I left.

I took that DVD home and watched it, and my life was changed. I didn't even want to finish my second film. This was part 2 of why I would eventually decide to go Happier Abroad. Part 1 was the tour itself, where, as I wrote about many times on here, I think, I sold more DVDs in one day, in Japan, than I could sell in a month in the west.

In the nearly 15 years since that fateful day, I haven't really done anything noteworthy. Yes, I did a manga, and even got published by what was the number one manga publisher in USA at the time. I did a short superhero cartoon series, with another guy, that won some little known award, in some little known town, but never made it to air nationally. I worked on a remake of Lost in Space, directed by John Woo, which never got completed. (strangely I saw a lot of the work I did for that in Ancient Aliens) I worked on a lot of SyFy Channel B monster movies. I even did a short web series which got up to about 30,000 regular viewers. Still, I definitely have never done anything like the film above.

The movie in the Youtube video above is called Your Name. It is Makoto Shinkai's 5th project and his 2nd major theatrically released film. It has been number one at the box office for 3 weeks in a row, grossing nearly $70 million. (Over 6.8 billion yen) It will likely soon get a worldwide release, as it is already licensed in USA. I suspect it will do extremely well. It is a damn good movie. I almost cried in more than one spot.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the guy. I am a huge fan. I bless him and his work and I hope he takes up the mantle for the now retired Hayao Miyazaki, who was considered the Walt Disney of Japan. (Yes I hate when they have to make westernised comparisons for everything) I can't wait to see what he does next, and I hope it is a long running TV series.

The point here is what I have done, or perhaps haven't done. I spent so much time and energy focused on training, teaching, and doing courses about how to make animation, but not actually making animation. Looking back over the years, especially considering my time in the Philippines when I had nothing but time, no stress and didn't need much to survive, I could have done something. I should have!

Now I am left with two choices. Get my ass in gear and really make something, or commit seppuku. Work this good makes me want to quit. (The other guy that makes me want to quit is a Korean artist named Kim Jung Gi but that is another story)
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I am Not Happy (Your Name)

Post by droid »

The Aventurer wrote:The point here is what I have done, or perhaps haven't done. I spent so much time and energy focused on training, teaching, and doing courses about how to make animation, but not actually making animation. Looking back over the years, especially considering my time in the Philippines when I had nothing but time, no stress and didn't need much to survive, I could have done something. I should have!

Now I am left with two choices. Get my ass in gear and really make something, or commit seppuku. Work this good makes me want to quit. (The other guy that makes me want to quit is a Korean artist named Kim Jung Gi but that is another story)
Fantastic post TA. I think just the fact that you've made some living out of this is very admirable, +1.

The key here is finding inspiration, but don't do it just by looking at the successes of others, because there is a danger of copying, even if at the subconscious level. Instead, I usually try to look over-critically, in which ways others suck, so i can do things differently.
Develop your own story, no pun intended.

Now, there are practical matters, like how to go to bed early and other productivity habits. I personally struggle with that.
And also how to build a capable team to which you can delegate, without them ripping off your ideas :roll: It's hard not trying to be a one-man show.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Perhaps you could do a animated film about Winston. :wink:
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

This movie recently passed the 10 billion yen mark with no signs of slowing down. It may go on to be one of the highest grossing Japanese films of all time. This definitely will put this director in the class with Miyazaki.

@Droid: Thanks for the comment. I do have some measure of pride in that I have made a living out of this, and been able to survive out here in Asia almost ten years with no job etc. I've started seriously working on my next project. I have no intention of being swayed by the success of others, except as much as their success shows all of us indie creators what is possible.

I've been floating ideas, like a story where a guy is given the opportunity to travel back in time and save Black Wall Street, in some of the circles in which I run and getting good feedback. I realise it is better to take my time and make something special than bang out something slick but pointless.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Post by Blue Murder »

The_Adventurer wrote:I've been floating ideas, like a story where a guy is given the opportunity to travel back in time and save Black Wall Street . . .
I've said I was going to patronise you before, but if THAT is what you're on you can pencil me down as permanently interested. I'm pretty sure you can guess why.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.