Why do many rock stars/movie stars turn to drug abuse and suicide?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Why do many rock stars/movie stars turn to drug abuse and suicide?

Post by Winston »

I don't understand something. Why do many rock, pop and movie stars go into drug addiction and attempt or commit suicide? Marilyn Monroe reportedly made suicide attempts. And her death may have been a suicide. Elvis Presley went into drug addiction didn't he? And so did Michael Jackson. Didn't Kurt Cobain commit suicide? And Drew Barrymore attempted suicide too, I heard. My parents told me that one of their favorite singers of the 70's, Andy Gibb, committed suicide over a woman that left him. Is that true? (He was good looking and had a tender charming voice, what kind of woman would leave him, and why would he care since he could have easily gotten another woman?)

Anyway, why do so many stars go into drug addiction and try to kill themselves or sometimes succeed? I don't get it. I mean, if I were rich and famous and could get any girl I want, and had millions of girls fawning all over me, the last thing I'd want to do is ruin myself with drugs or try to end my life. It seems so illogical. What motivates that? Is there some mysterious karmic force that attacks your soul when you become rich and famous and loved, cause you've gotten more than you deserved?

Any explanation?
Last edited by Winston on January 5th, 2011, 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is an interesting first hand explanation from my other forum:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/ ... =25&t=1579
How about a first hand explanation?

In the 1970's I had the misfortune of being treated like a "star' whilst doing shows for a big company and making "big" money... I was busy as hell, popular, and thought I was "somebody" (though I wasn't)... but I was also a kid that was being raised by two oppressive right-wing extremists who viewed Billy Graham, Anita Bryant and Richard Nixon as being right as well as righteous and expected me to fit that mold... two people that lived in extreme denial, hiding behind closed doors and closed curtains, thinking the outside world would never know their "truth"

But I was coming into my latter teens and early adult years, disco was big and cocaine even bigger... an "accepted" factor in the show biz sense of reality. Couple that delusion with the perpetual party life of the Gay scene in those days (well, into the 80's AFTER AIDs hit the fan) and voila! It's easy to get lost and become a chronic junkie before age 20 and going back and forth on the rehab wheel before it finally stuck... that was almost 28 years ago. But the ride doesn't end there; especially for a "has been" that "never was"... you constantly beat yourself up for your failure both, vocationally as well as by way of how others see you... most especially your parents... at 51 years in age I still have deep fears over my 76 year old, frail & senile father because of how he brutalized us "in the day"...
... you see, there's always a back-story...

Entertainers exist in a make-believe world and when you get that sudden boon of carnal success it goes to your head... very few can handle it! That is why you have so many "one hit bands" or those that only crank out the first 3-5 albums for their recording label (not to be confused with today's way of doing things... people can poop out CD's faster than most people change their socks and without any established entity standing behind them)... truth be know, that is what most major record companies like A&M only sign on for those first 3-5 records, they know when the ego-driven burn typically takes its toll and of course, if you're still functioning at the end of that 5th album them put you on a hell tour in the hope of burning you out... that way you can't easily bounce back and cut them out of your next decade or three making "real" money vs. the petty cash they allow you to have initially.

Are you seeing the other ingredient yet? Having to kiss but and take table scraps from the corporate entities that "make you"?

I've seen it happen in Music, Magic and the Comedy world all of them environments that are more than conducive to "being" an alcoholic and/or addict. Though I will say that things are changing for the better in that world because of a higher degree of health consciousness by the performers as well as their sense of global obligation... neither has been witnessed at before, and at such an amazing level of commitment. 8-)

So that's the gist of it all... I've helped mega stars get to the recovery facilities more than a few times, one of which just died this past year. Show Biz as a whole, is a cruel mistress for most, no matter how famous or wealthy you become through it. Even after you've actually "made it" the odds of surviving beyond a single decade and retaining longevity in the industry, are stacked waaay against you; and having a "normal" life is essentially unheard of.

Oh! One Last Thing... it is the one vocation one seems to have no choice in taking on. It's a part of who you are, which is why you take the abuse and deal with the depression, heartaches, anxiety, and everything else. Thankfully most folks are smart enough to avoid it. ;)
But I don't get a few things. Why would it be hard to handle fame and fortune? If everyone loves you and you're rich, wouldn't your life be easy with all those "attendants" doing things for you? And with you eating all those fine meals with important people, staying in fancy hotels, etc.? How can that ever be anything bad?

Also, why would music companies want to burn you out if you're a star? Wouldn't they want you to be happy and pay you well, so that you perform for them at your best, resulting in a win-win situation for you and them? I don't see the conflict. Can anyone elaborate further?
Last edited by Winston on January 5th, 2011, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:But I don't get a few things. Why would it be hard to handle fame and fortune? If everyone loves you and you're rich, wouldn't your life be easy with all those "attendants" doing things for you? And with you eating all those fine meals with important people, staying in fancy hotels, etc.? How can that ever be anything bad?
If we were to use lotto winners as a yardstick for comparison:

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1876 ... o-downfall

"Roughly one-third of lottery winners find themselves in serious financial trouble or bankrupt within five years of turning in their lucky numbers, according to Chelmsford wealth counselor Szifra Birke."

Consider, the wealthy set up trust funds for their children, because they don't trust their kids with the money!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:But I don't get a few things. Why would it be hard to handle fame and fortune? If everyone loves you and you're rich, wouldn't your life be easy with all those "attendants" doing things for you? And with you eating all those fine meals with important people, staying in fancy hotels, etc.? How can that ever be anything bad?
If we were to use lotto winners as a yardstick for comparison:

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1876 ... o-downfall

"Roughly one-third of lottery winners find themselves in serious financial trouble or bankrupt within five years of turning in their lucky numbers, according to Chelmsford wealth counselor Szifra Birke."

Consider, the wealthy set up trust funds for their children, because they don't trust their kids with the money!
Why though? If I won the lottery, I'd spend a portion of it for fun and travel, use some to invest in businesses that generate residual income, and keep a bulk portion of it as savings. Why spend it all? What's the logic behind that? And how can anyone spend 50 million dollars? That's not easy if you're just traveling around and having fun, unless you're giving away tons of money too.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are more insights in my other forum from an entertainment industry insider:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/ ... =25&t=1579
I can assure you "fame" in and of itself, can be a major infringement on one's life and likewise how you look at the world... ego need very little to get energized and when that happens YOU tend to go a bit blind as to general reality... it's not just the entertainment industry but most any situation that can thrust you into the limelight ProfWags perspective is close to what I'm getting at but MONEY + FAME does not = happiness... frequently the contrary when it comes along too fast and too easily... I've simply watched this scenario unfold far too many times over the years with young, amazing talents that barely get a taste of the "real" money in my industry, let alone Big Time show biz. . .

Think about it this way... coming from a moderate and even lower-income background and in under 18-14 months time you find yourself swimming in cash, surrounded by every kind of luxury & vice there is in the world -- you're like a kid in a candy store with no one telling you NO... everyone around you is a "Yes Man" for the most part and most are trained to look the other way and ignore your growing, self-destructive habits. Unless an experienced old fart steps in, slaps you awake and gets you to smell the coffee, chances are very strong that you will become a falling star that simply self-destructs. IF you are lucky, you will have that special person that will call you on your crap and you'll be wise enough to listen before its too late. . . before the damage can't be undone. . . (and that too, is something I learned the hard way. . . burnt all kinds of bridges between age19 and 25... and yes, even when you get into recovery for a few years you can still be an idiot that's full of themselves and too bloody arrogant to LISTEN.)

That kid in the candy store looses most all of their discipline and that's why they fall down and no one reaches out to pick them up... until they've picked themselves up to a major degree and "proven" themselves in a way that's humble and far more mature.

People that slowly obtain wealth... true wealth... don't tend to let all these things go to their head and frequently live quite humble lives. This nation is filled with multi-millionaire types that live in 1,200 - 1,500 square foot homes in some residential area than you'll find in the million dollar mansions & fancy cars. These are people that typically keep puttering around and working long hours for most of their lives, rarely if ever, flaunting what they have or seeking to know actual "fame" outside of maybe the little community they live in.

No... you really need to walk a half-a-mile in the shoes of those that survive that life-style to know what it's all about and why.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some interesting answers from the David Icke forum:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151495
Because they are humans too, and sometimes life is too much. Many people commit suicide. If "stars (regular, talented people)" commit suicide then obviously their lives were not so great.

Just because someone has fame and money does not mean they are happy. People are ignorant and look at celebrities like they have awesome lives and don't deserve them and yadda yadda yadda.

But you know what? How do you know what goes on behind the camera? You don't. These are normal people who are very regularity under a lot of pressure, have relationship problems, and get lonely like anyone else. Not only do they have to deal with being human, but they have to deal with the pressure of being under close public scrutiny and survival at the same time, and often doing things they don't want to do just to survive.

It's not good to make assumptions and judge people just based on how much money or fame they have.

These people kill themselves or are killed because they are under too much pressure and are not happy, and see no way of things getting better.

Basically, don't judge a book by it's cover.
They enjoy the stardom at first. Being surrounded by the most beautiful people who kiss their asses all day long. They can now have everything they ever desired. But that leaves nothing to dream about or desire anymore. Nothing to look forward to.

After f***ing hundreds and hundreds of dream partners that even looses it's appeal. They realize that at the end of the day nobody loves them for them. They are only accepted for their fame/money. That has to be an empty feeling.

Also popularity is short lived for most. It's a high climb to the top but an even further drop to the bottom. Once they slide over the peek it's a devasting fall into despair and depression. Drugs become rampant. Depression and drugs equals a higher chance of suicide.
That's basically it. They're not happy in the first place. They probably waited a long time to get it, under the belief that attaining the fame would bring them happiness. When it 'happens', they then worry about losing it. Or they realise the fame doesn't give them inner peace. Coupled with that, that kind of success isn't always conducive to having stable relationships.

Or they lose sight of their original goals, to be creative.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why do many rock/movie stars turn to drugs and suicide?

Post by Winston »

Check out this program on E (Entertainment Channel) about Hollywood Secret Societies. It shows how if you are in their club you get all your urges and desires fulfilled - parties, drugs, sex, exclusive entrance to VIP clubs, money, fame, luxury, etc. Dang. If you can have it all, why would you resort to drugs, depression or suicide? I don't get it.

The scenes in the program look very tantalizing, but none of it looks down to earth at all. It looks like a feast for the senses and a disconnect from reality. What do you guys think? Do you envy these Hollywood elites who are having fun and have it all, as this program depicts? If we were them, would we be "happier in Hollywood" rather than Happier Abroad? lol

Secret Societies of Hollywood Part 1

Secret Societies of Hollywood Part 2

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. According to Carrie Fishers autopsy and toxicology report, she had 6 different lethal drugs in her system, including cocaine and heroin, at the time of her death on an airline. So she didnt die of a heart attack after all. Why would she do that? See the report from inside edition below.

Also her mother Debbie Reynolds died the day after ahe did. What a coincidence. Didn't that happen with Whitney Houston and her mom too? Is that a sign that some Illuminati ritual was involved?

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

The prosperity of fools destroys them. If a person gets rich and famous without God and without the fear of the Lord, then they are very likely to ruin themselves with that prosperity.

If a person finds life in abundance without Christ, then they are likely to be in serious trouble. Because whosoever finds his life outside of Christ shall lose it. But whosoever loses their life for Christ's sake will find life.

Gain must be obtained within righteousness.

Also, just because a person is rich, good looking and famous, it doesn't mean that everyone loves them. Many people will face fierce criticism and opposition from those who are jealous. This can be very hard to deal with. There will always be haters, and the higher up someone goes, the more haters there are. And some of those haters will pretend to be friends so they can get in close to dig the knife in deeper.

Also, just because a person is rich, good looking and famous, it doesn't mean they know how to handle women. Their mindset might be locked in a sad state in which they do not know the things they need to navigate situations properly or how to determine who is evil and who is good.

And if God is not with a person, it is very likely that person will have practically no knowledge whatsoever about much of anything that matters regarding people or life.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why do many rock stars/movie stars turn to drug abuse and suicide?

Post by Winston »

Cameron Diaz explains why fame and stardom doesn't make you happy.