Great Movies worth checking out - Post your recommendations

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Re: How about...

Post by Devil Dog »

Winston wrote:
Devil Dog wrote: Flame and Citron. You will thank me.
Are those two movies or one? You ought to provide some description or a link to IMDB information about them. Just naming them is not enough.
Try google. Or not.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just watched "Django Unchained".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/

* Warning: Spoilers

It was funny, but extremely racist and violent. The ending was very satisfying to blacks, when Django becomes like a Rambo who takes out everyone. I wonder if black people like this movie though. I mean, the vulgar racist comments in it and the use of the N word (nigger) must sound so degrading to blacks and highly offensive as well. And it goes on all throughout the film. I can't believe such a film could be made today in politically correct America. But on the other hand, the blacks win at the end and get poetic justice. So in that sense, it would be a feel good movie for blacks.

What do you think? Do blacks like this film? I can't imagine they would since it's so highly offensive to them, despite their victory ending.

I also can't believe that Leonardo DiCaprio agreed to play a violent sociopathic slave owner in this film. Didn't he find his own character highly offensive? He even let dogs tear apart his slaves when they became useless to him.

The director Quentin Tarantino is weird. Why does he try to portray extremely violent scenes as though they were funny?

I also saw "The Man in the Iron Mask" with Leonardo DiCaprio, and "Legends of the Fall" with Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt. They were excellent movies that are well done, and I would highly recommend them.

The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120744/

Legends of the Fall (1994)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110322/

* Warning: Spoilers

Any French buff would love the depiction of 17th Century France in "The Man in the Iron Mask". It looks so beautiful and cultured, and people act very alive and stand for something. The ending was very satisfying and surprising.

A lot of people told me that "Legends of the Fall" was an amazing film, but I never saw it until now. It was quite good. But it was annoying to see the brothers go off to war against their father's wishes, as though they had to, which resulted in one of them dying. And Brad Pitt did not look like he belonged to that family. He looked far too different from the other two brothers. It was never really explained why he went off to Africa for years and left Susannah.

Also, it was totally implausible the way Tristan's (Brad Pitt) wife Isabella died. A corrupt policeman with bootleggers fired his machine gun at the rocky mountains above as a warning, and somehow that kills his wife. It was never clear as to how. She had no blood on her, so it didn't look like any bullets hit her. She just suddenly dropped dead. Did the sound of the bullets kill her? I've never seen that happen before, even in a movie. So that scene made no sense.

The ending was great though. Their father (Anthony Hopkins) was proven right in his cynicism toward government, when the cops became the bad guys at the end and were taken out in a shootout by the family, including the brother that became a Congressman.

I'm amazed at how Anthony Hopkins can play so many different types of roles. I've never seen anyone that diverse before. He can play a politician, noble man, artist, wild man, or a serial killer and psychopath. He can portray Richard Nixon very well, like he did in the movie "Nixon" by Oliver Stone, or a serial killer psychopath like in "Silence of the Lambs". He has got to be the most versatile actor in Hollywood. I can't think of anyone who compares.

Look at his film credits and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000164/

I've never understood why Hollywood thinks Tom Hanks is versatile. No way. Tom Hanks is very bland and average looking with no charisma, charm, or magnetism. He is way overrated. His only asset is that he can portray characters in a very modest down to earth manner in that when he acts, it does not look like he's acting. But that's all. His characters are still very bland and dull. He does not portray anything deep or complex like Anthony Hopkins does. And his characters are nowhere near as versatile as Anthony Hopkins either. I think he's way overrated.

Leonardo DiCaprio has also portrayed a wide variety of roles of course. However, he seems to play the same type of character in most of them. He is very good when it comes to extreme acting and portraying extreme emotions. He gives characters a lot of energy. But he puts almost the same act in every character. So his acting isn't that diverse, even though his roles are. Plus, his face is round and wide, whereas most stars have oval looking faces, so he is unusual in that sense. Hollywood doesn't usually cast people with wide faces as stars.

Also, he is cast in a lot of roles where he doesn't look the part. Like when he was cast as Howard Hughes in "The Aviator" or as J. Edgar Hoover in "J Edgar" when he looks nothing like Howard Hughes or J. Edgar Hoover. He is only cast in them because he portrays characters well with a lot of energy.

You all agree with my observations?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Checkout the Bourne Identity, and all the other sequels. Very well-done, and based on a true story (Project Talent).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Any of you ever see that 1978 sci-fi horror movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with Donald Sutherland? I just saw it again. In that great classic film, alien pods replicate humans on Earth into alien clones who are devoid of any emotion or feeling. At the end, everyone in the city of San Francisco has turned into soulless inhuman clones.

You gotta wonder if the filmmakers were trying to tell us something, since the film's scenario so chilling accurately depicts modern America. Plus, the humans only get replicated when they "go to sleep" which was a great pun, whether intended or not. I often feel like I'm one of the few left that didn't get replicated. lol

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077745/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vK2-Dv1TA
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

My favorite of late...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this interesting movie called "Lost Horizon" based on a novel. It's about a group of passengers on a plane that are taken to the mystical land of Shangri La hidden in the Himalayan mountains, where peace, harmony and health reign in a utopia. I just found out about it. It's sort of a HappierAbroad movie because most of the passengers decide to stay there rather than return to their "real world".

There is a 1937 version and a 1973 version. Here is IMDB info for both.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029162/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070337/

The 1973 one is on YouTube in parts. Here is the playlist for it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6943E6BE52

Peter Finch from "Network (1976)" is in the 1973 version, as well as Olivia Hussey, famous for playing Juliet in the 1968 version of "Romeo and Juliet". This one is a musical with cheesy song, but the message and story are really good. We've all dreamed of such a land deep down, so this should resonate with all of you at some level.
Last edited by Winston on March 16th, 2014, 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

The Sound of Music :oops:

Best movie ever! :P

Watch online > http://ffilms.org//?s=sound+of+music
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Renata wrote:The Sound of Music :oops:

Best movie ever! :P

Watch online > http://ffilms.org//?s=sound+of+music
Yeah I love that movie. The music in it is very uplifting. So anytime you are in a down mood, you should watch it to get your spirits lifted up.

It's too bad most of the forum members here are probably too man-like and macho to see such a movie, or at least admit to liking it. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just saw two good movies today on TV stations that play older films. One is about a mixed couple - black man who is a prestigious doctor and a rich white girl - who want to get married and have a drama of a time convincing their parents on both sides to accept it and give them their blessing. It was very well done and deals with a lot of emotions and deep issues. The ending is cliched and predictable, but the acting and dialogue was really good, as well as the points made. It stars Katherine Hepburn as the white girl's mother and is called "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?". I think black guys will love this film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061735/

Another is about two couples that are exploring the nature of open relationships and polyamory. It stars Natalie Wood and Robert Culp as one of the couples, and is called "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice". It's pretty funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064100/

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Have any of you seen "Summer of 42"? It's about a teen boy who falls in love with a beautiful adult female while her husband is away fighting WWII. This is an incredible masterpiece that will touch us all with memories of a lost love. It has a beautiful music score too. The trailer even says "In everyone's life, there's a Summer of 42". It reminds us of how innocent we were about love, dating and romance when we were teens. Very few movies capture what it was really like. This is one of them.

Watching the three boys talk about girls, dating and sex reminded me of how me and my friends were when I was in junior high, and girls were a curiosity and wonder to us. It's very nostalgic in that sense and reminds us of how innocent we were. We all have lost loves in our youth too, so this movie about a boy's lost love will touch us. And the music reflects the feeling well too. Check it out. It will bring back a lot of memories for you.

Summer of 42

IMDB info:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067803/

Trailer:

Musical theme with image stills from the film:

The full film is available as a paid video on YouTube. It only costs $2 to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G2kc2EeO_4

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If any of you are in the mood for a great wholesome feel-good movie with nature, animals and the hermit life, then check out this 70's series called "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams". It will remind you what it's like to be kind, wholesome and good again. And it shows you how a loner can connect with nature and animals to be in peace and harmony, like in "Dances with Wolves", which I can resonate with because I've experienced it.

It's a great portrayal of the joys of hermit life and a wonderful testament to the inherent quality of goodness. The show is very refreshing. It has a song of goodness and kindness all over in a very wholesome way that is not too cheesy. Only in the 70's did they make films like this. If you ever need an uplifting mood booster, this is perfect.

Here is the pilot episode that's 90 minutes long.

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

Here is a playlist of the series that seems to include all episodes of both seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC53C8798EF8C2F9F

Description:

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams is a 1974 film loosely based on the actual trapper James "Grizzly" Adams.

Grizzly Adams is a woodsman during the frontier era who flees into the mountains after he is wrongly accused of murder. While struggling to survive, Adams discovers an orphaned grizzly bear cub whom he takes in and calls Ben. The bear, despite his huge adult size, becomes Adams's closest companion. Adams proves to have an uncanny link to most of the indigenous wildlife of the region, who have no fear of him. In return, he resolves never to harm another animal whenever possible.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This one looks interesting.

Heaven Is For Real (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1929263/

A small-town father must find the courage and conviction to share his son's extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world.

Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling book of the same name, HEAVEN IS FOR REAL brings to the screen the true story of a small-town father who must find the courage and conviction to share his son's extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world. The film stars Academy Award® nominee and Emmy® award winning actor Greg Kinnear as Todd Burpo and co-stars Kelly Reilly as Sonja Burpo, the real-life couple whose son Colton (newcomer Connor Corum) claims to have visited Heaven during a near death experience. Colton recounts the details of his amazing journey with childlike innocence and speaks matter-of-factly about things that happened before his birth ... things he couldn't possibly know. Todd and his family are then challenged to examine the meaning from this remarkable event.

Trailer:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Have any of you ever seen "The Stepford Wives"? Either the original or remake? The plot sounds very interesting.

The Stepford Wives (1975)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073747/

Plot:

Joanna Eberhart has come to the quaint little town of Stepford, Connecticut with her family, but soon discovers there lies a sinister truth in the all too perfect behavior of the female residents.

Trailer:

Last edited by Winston on August 12th, 2014, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this movie that Rock and I watched when he was here in Las Vegas. It's called "Swimming Pool (2003)" and has this hot floosy blonde French girl with no inhibitions running around bringing guys home to f**k. The thing is, that's all you think it's about and at the end you wonder "WTF was that about?" It's only after the ending do you realize what was going on the whole time. I didn't realize it until the next morning.

That's what's different about this one. You don't understand the plot twist until AFTER the movie when you think about it a little more. The reviews on IMDB say that too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324133/

The blonde French girl is very hot to look at and has an exotic accent. She's like every guy's fantasy. lol. Even Rock liked her. She will make you want to go to France. lol

Swimming Pool (2003) Trailer:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Have any of you seen these? They look interesting.

Deliverance (1972)

Intent on seeing the Cahulawassee River before it's turned into one huge lake, outdoor fanatic Lewis Medlock takes his friends on a river-rafting trip they'll never forget into the dangerous American back-country.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/

Southern Comfort (1981)

A squad of National Guards on an isolated weekend exercise in the Louisiana swamp must fight for their lives when they anger local Cajuns by stealing their canoes. Without live ammunition and in a strange country, their experience begins to mirror the Vietnam experience.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083111/

Full movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMgpFpNyOc4

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

Two criminals and their hostages unknowingly seek temporary refuge in an establishment populated by vampires, with chaotic results.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116367/