My Mexican girlfriend vs. American college girls

Discuss dating, relationships and foreign women.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Haha, awesome! I have plenty of wonderful male and female (albeit friend-zoned) friends who fit that profile pretty well too. And I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just that you'll need those characteristics to be more mainstream or conformist.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

The Arab
Freshman Poster

Post by The Arab »

momopi wrote:
Falcon wrote: These aren't crude stereotypes, but are actual observations I've made through living in Southern California. They're such common norms that people here don't even realize that they're actually features of an American consumerist culture that some folks may have trouble adapting to; they're just "default." This is what nearly all the American college girls here have in common, except for the new immigrants of course. If you don't have at least some of the following, you're simply not going to "click" with the other girls on campus, EVEN if you're very good-looking or have a great personality.

(not a girl) - Valley girl accent
(check, started in pre-FB era with local BBS scene) - Social networking addiction, especially Facebook
(check) - Use "like" in many of your sentences
(check) - The typical SoCal suburban wear, such as Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle
(check) - Own an iPhone, iPod, SmartPhone, BlackBerry, or at least some other related gadget so you won't appear "technologically behind"
(TLC, Food Network) - Be obsessed with American entertainment - e.g., pop songs, movies
(check) - Participate in the college drinking and partying scene, and maybe also the notorious hookup scene
(check - I prefer Napa) - Go to Las Vegas or San Francisco for vacation
(check - UCLA/USC) - Know about California sports, such as basketball, baseball, football tournaments
(check) - "Hang out" with a group of friends by going shopping or to the movies, and text them before you do. Take lots of pics with everyone so you can post them all on Facebook later.
Hey I fit the above profile pretty well :D

Falcon wrote:Great find. I don't think the sex ratio even matters. Most college campuses have more women than men. I can be surrounded entirely by women, but they would all have the same set of attitudes and habits. Many students either commute or go home on the weekends, leaving the campuses ghost towns during evenings, weekends, breaks, and summers. You should see UC Irvine on a weekend. It's so squeaky clean and devoid of people that it isn't even funny.
I live about 10 mins away from UCI on Jeffery/University. The farmer's market at the University center parking lot on Saturdays is, IMO, the best farmer's market in South OC. I usually go there in the morning and drop by Tanaka Farm on the way back.

I have many friends who graduated from UCI and we used to joke "University of Chinese Immigrants", yet the business department has one of the most hard-core anti-Chinese teachers (Peter Navarro). Makes me wonder how he teaches international MBA classes where most the students are from China??
UCI ..

"University of Chinese and Indians."
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Back in 1990s I used to go to the... 24 HR fitness (?) at the University Town Center there with a buddy of mine and go work out in the stretching room. It was one of those dance/workout rooms with mirrors, and we'd just gawk at the hot girls doing splits. Those were good times.

I have one Taiwanese friend married to a Mexican wife. She was kawaii and a big anime fan. They have 4 daughters!
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

momopi wrote:
I have many friends who graduated from UCI and we used to joke "University of Chinese Immigrants", yet the business department has one of the most hard-core anti-Chinese teachers (Peter Navarro). Makes me wonder how he teaches international MBA classes where most the students are from China??
It also used to be known as University of Civics and Integras back in the 90's because everyone who went there seemed to drive a riced out Honda. :lol:
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

UC Irvine = UC Irvinity :twisted: Get it?
(You See Virginity)
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Repatriate wrote:
momopi wrote:
It also used to be known as University of Civics and Integras back in the 90's because everyone who went there seemed to drive a riced out Honda. :lol:
Flashback:
http://www.riceboypage.com/

I confess... I had a Civic with a few cheap mods.

Back then folks would gather by the Block in Orange on weekend evenings and show off neon light strips installed under the body. ;p Fast forward to 2009, I saw a group of rice boyz hanging out with their Scions at Guppy House parking lot in Cerritos/Artesia. LoL.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Oh man. If a parking lot contains almost exclusively Toyota, Honda, and Lexus cars, you know you're in Chinaburb. :D
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

momopi wrote: Fast forward to 2009, I saw a group of rice boyz hanging out with their Scions at Guppy House parking lot in Cerritos/Artesia. LoL.
Scions?! Jesus. The cars were so much better back then. I remember the rich fob high school kids would be sporting Supras, bmw m3s, Mazda rx-7s and even an illegally rebuilt skyline. The middle class kids had Acura Integras or civics. I actually owned an Integra as well but I was no ricer.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Repatriate wrote:
momopi wrote: Fast forward to 2009, I saw a group of rice boyz hanging out with their Scions at Guppy House parking lot in Cerritos/Artesia. LoL.
Scions?! Jesus. The cars were so much better back then. I remember the rich fob high school kids would be sporting Supras, bmw m3s, Mazda rx-7s and even an illegally rebuilt skyline. The middle class kids had Acura Integras or civics. I actually owned an Integra as well but I was no ricer.
Yup. I did a quick google search and it looks like these guys are still active:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204088

http://carsxhype.com/2011/10/15/local-m ... -cerritos/

I wonder if these guys would give me the boot if I went and bought an used lemon colored used C5? ;p
FlipSurf
Freshman Poster

Post by FlipSurf »

So if your girl still lives in Mexico, do you have a plan to end up being with her? How often do you visit?
FlipSurf
Freshman Poster

Post by FlipSurf »

The Arab wrote:There is definitely a peculiar dating dynamic in LA that makes it very hard not only to date interesting women, but also meet people in general.

It's interesting how one can be in a setting surrounded by thousands of students all doing the same thing, but there being no connection or interest in students in socializing for the most part. There's definitely some voluntary segregation going on and way too cliquey and non-inclusive.

The overall vibe comes off as antisocial, shallow, and vacuous; people with no real substance or thoughts.

Still like High School in university, seems students here are immature and don't grow up like their peers around the world.

This article attempts to answer that :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-ali-bi ... 79298.html
Great article man. I have a tough time verbalizing what's wrong with LA and this article does a good job.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

FlipSurf wrote:So if your girl still lives in Mexico, do you have a plan to end up being with her? How often do you visit?
I visit her maybe about once or twice a year.

The plan would be to bring her over to the U.S., since school and work here are still better than in Mexico. She's not a fiancee yet, so I haven't made any such promises to her yet.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Mompi I can check a few of those things too.

I find smartphones extremely useful and for IT, especially today's world you need to know how those things work so they can access Active Directory and MS Exchange...

In other words I have an excuse to have all this "stuff" (laptop, smartphone, desktop, server)

But I have noticed much of what is said as well. I am a serious car guy and have driven smaller cars the majority of the time. I haven't owned a Honda, Toyota or any other Japanese car save for the Isuzu I got back in 1989 and its not what you think. It pre-dates most of this import/sport compact stuff you see today (1.6L DOHC Engine 125hp), I use to kill Civic Si's with it. Back then aftermarket options for those cars were few and expensive. They came with a whopping 109hp at the flywheel....
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

FlipSurf wrote:
The Arab wrote:There is definitely a peculiar dating dynamic in LA that makes it very hard not only to date interesting women, but also meet people in general.

It's interesting how one can be in a setting surrounded by thousands of students all doing the same thing, but there being no connection or interest in students in socializing for the most part. There's definitely some voluntary segregation going on and way too cliquey and non-inclusive.

The overall vibe comes off as antisocial, shallow, and vacuous; people with no real substance or thoughts.

Still like High School in university, seems students here are immature and don't grow up like their peers around the world.

This article attempts to answer that :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-ali-bi ... 79298.html
Great article man. I have a tough time verbalizing what's wrong with LA and this article does a good job.
I've read it before and agree with most of it. But they left out a very important factor - M-O-N-E-Y

Because of the "Hollywood" factor and because many women don't mind being "Jump Offs" for some of these Hollywood types, women just don't give normal guys a chance really. I find more guys in LA dating ethically/culturally different women from themselves. Transportation is an issue, you can basically forget it if you don't have a car. I have seen cute women on the bus, but they tend to be younger (teenagers, Gen Y adults usually newcomers to LA) so maybe if I was aggressive (and I have had my chances...) I would have some success.

Oh well, it is what it is.
oliver95865
Freshman Poster

Post by oliver95865 »

I've lived in Mexico and all thou there is a lot of corruption and insecurity, I've never heard any stories of Mexico invading other countries overseas. Every country has it's own particular Karma, and USA is no exception. I don't see why people expect to have a good family life in their own countries after invading other countries. American men made they own bed, now they have to sleep in it. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!