Mail Order Bride movies and documentaries

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Mail Order Bride movies and documentaries

Post by Rock »

Documentary about a guy in Queens who imports a Chinese Burmese mail order bride. Try to watch it before Youtube removes it lol.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v3RBREfTsk[/youtube]

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Mail Order Wife

Post by Voyager1 »

FAKE! Probably put out (2004) by some feminist group to get IMBRA (2005) passed.

Also this was probably shot somewhere in the 90s, pre-internet (1997) as there is no mention of internet and the catalogues are printed catalogues. The people in this are actors.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Voyager1 wrote:FAKE! Probably put out (2004) by some feminist group to get IMBRA (2005) passed.

Also this was probably shot somewhere in the 90s, pre-internet (1997) as there is no mention of internet and the catalogues are printed catalogues. The people in this are actors.
You gave away the secret lol. It's a mockumentary and a pretty funny one at that IMO. Perhaps it's meant to take place in 90s but the actual filming was done around 2003/4 based on appearance of the actors, some of whom you can find in other films. Of course you can also gauge it by appearance of Jose Conseco who incidentally was on parol or a type of house arrest so wearing an ankle monitor.

For anyone who had any doubts on it's authenticity, there is a scene right after the end of the film where some of the actors laugh and joke around with each other.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

The actor Adrian Martinez does a brilliant job portraying the bride hunter. I know a guy exactly like him. Even looks like him.

On second thought the actor is not doing a brilliant job. He's just being himself.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Mail Order Wife - funny mockumentary

Post by Winston »

Rock and I saw it in Taipei. It was funny with a lot of twists and turns. It was very exaggerated too. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Mail Order Wife - funny mockumentary

Post by Winston »

Here's a similar movie called "Mail Order Bride" from 1987. I haven't seen it yet. But if you anyone wants to watch it first and let us know how it is, feel free. Here's the link. It looks like it's about a British man with an Asian bride.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPKO6oDzlP4[/youtube]
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Mail Order Wife movies and mockumentaries LOL

Post by Winston »

I just saw the 1987 movie above called "Mail Order Bride" that I posted above. It's better than "Mail Order Wife" and a lot more realistic too. It's about an Australian redneck or hick who brings a Filipino bride to his trailer park neighborhood in Australia. It's realistic in portraying the difficulties his wife faces. For example, some people are nice to her but others are racist, and eventually she feels lonely and alienated without her family because her husband works too much. I know that's a cliche, but the events in this film are much more fair and realistic than in Rock's mockumentary film above. lol. Plus the man is portrayed more positively. He may be stubborn and rough with a mean temper, but he has a good heart and is a good man inside. And the couple tries their best to work things out amidst all the tears and difficulties. It's a good film to watch. See it in the previous post above.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, that film that me and Rock liked that we posted here long ago, is still up. It's called "Filpina Dreamgirls" and is a funny but somewhat realistic comedy about a group of guys who go on a bride hunting social tour in the Philippines. A definite must see and uncannily realistic as well as entertaining. It looks like something from the 90's. It's in parts though. Here is part 1.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWaBKxKgbfg[/youtube]

Decription:

Filipina Dreamgirls directed by Les Blair. (Part 1)
Starring: Tim Shanks - David Thewlis (Professor Lupin of Harry Potter fame)
Gareth - (guy with beard) Ray Gravell (Welsh Rugby Player)

Filipino Dreamgirls tells the tale of a number of men from Wales all looking for romance and a wife in the Philippines. Follows them first contacting the women by snail mail and then travelling to this exotic and unfamiliar culture. They learn that some girls have a hidden past, but both are seeking to come together. Follow their stories in a true-to-life scenario with a few happy endings.

Playlist for all parts:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B663CB1A7E

Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

^ Didn't know this movie existed! My friend's Welsh too and he met his Filipina wife around that era where snail mail was the only way of corresponding.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Zambales wrote:^ Didn't know this movie existed! My friend's Welsh too and he met his Filipina wife around that era where snail mail was the only way of corresponding.
I didn't know there were romance tours to the Philippines in the 1990's.

I hate watching it in 11 parts though. I'm going to download all the parts and try to merge them together into one video file and upload it to YouTube so the movie is complete.

There is another version of the film on YouTube that's higher quality but still in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lSao_wiMXk

On IMDB, the reviews for this film were pretty positive.

Filipina Dreamgirls
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102863/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

The best review:
Don't Miss It
Author: mercuryix from Los Angeles
28 May 2001
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

This movie is not for everyone. It is a character-study of several British men of different ages and professions, who for various reasons have given up trying to meet British women for marriage and opt to travel to marry Filipina women. After corresponding with them, the movie opens with the men travelling to their fiance's country to meet and marry them.

Possible Spoilers:

It is very easy (and tempting) to dismiss these men as losers who can't start a relationship with women from their own country. However, as we are introduced to each man, one, a small, prototypical cyber-geek, another a blue-collar worker with hair from the 60's and a low self-esteem, an older man afflicted with "nice guy syndrome", a huge Welsh farmer who is even nicer, and a few others, we understand eventually why they have come to this decision. The writer does an excellent job showing us different real personalities with likeable and flawed characters, and the most uncomfortable part comes when we start to recognize ourselves in these characters. (At this point is where people will either get into the movie or dismiss it uncomfortably with an pronouncement of "losers!" and turn the channel.)

The reason the women choose the men is obvious; the country they are in is suffering from wide-spread poverty and desperation. Desperation is in fact the theme of the movie; from the women's perspective, they simply wish to leave their country and have a life. For the men, they want to have the love and stability they can't find at home.

By the end, we discover that for the most part, none of these men are losers. They are simply not charismatic, beautiful or rich, and suffer from the unforgivable taste of being real human beings. We discover the older guy is the best of the lot, the big hulking welsh farmer has a lot of great qualities, and that only the real villain turns out to be the one you would think would be the most harmless; the cyber-geek. Expect for the filipina woman who becomes involved with the older man (a tough, realistic woman with a very hard past who turns out to be the most honest), we are not given enough insight into these women's lives. Of course, the women too are not perfect; some just want to get out of their country and divorce their British patsy asap. Others genuinely want a stable married life. At the end, we see a glimpse of how the relationships turn out, some happy, some not.

The comic relief is a little forced, but is present because without it, this film would be unremittingly bleak. It serves as both an indictment of present relationships in general, and how people we dismiss are in fact often better people than those we adore. Definitely worth watching.

Eight stars.

Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Winston wrote:
Zambales wrote:^ Didn't know this movie existed! My friend's Welsh too and he met his Filipina wife around that era where snail mail was the only way of corresponding.
I didn't know there were romance tours to the Philippines in the 1990's.

I hate watching it in 11 parts though. I'm going to download all the parts and try to merge them together into one video file and upload it to YouTube so the movie is complete.
He didn't go on a romance tour. He went all by himself and is still married to the same woman to this day.

There's a playlist of all the parts which saves you clicking on each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWaBKxK ... B663CB1A7E
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

True story about a Westerner who encountered problems while meeting a Filipina in the Philippines.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x188ru ... shortfilms
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

"Birthday Girl" was a very interesting and entertaining movie about a mild mannered British guy who brings in a hot Russian mail order bride and gets a lot more than he bargained for. I saw this a long time ago and really felt it. Nicole Kidman plays the Russian girl and some of the periphery actors did a fantastic job in seeming realistic in their rolls. I wanna watch it again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188453/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

There was also a funny 2003 movie about an AFA romance tour called "2 Brothers and a Bride", aka "A Foreign Affair". The film had both titles. It was about 2 farm brothers going to Russia on an AFA romance tour. It was funny and had a lot of truisms in it. AFA promoted the film when it came out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305583/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I can't find the film online anywhere. But I used to have a DVD of it. Here's a trailer for it though.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONnpVnnfSzg[/youtube]

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok it's done. I put together all 10 parts of the Filipina Dreamgirls movie into one video file and uploaded it to my channel, so you can see it all in one video. Enjoy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyFVZXueAwU[/youtube]