Nixon: Probably the best US President since 1960...

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Nixon: Probably the best US President since 1960...

Post by Brazor »

... which isn't saying much, admittedly.

Forty years ago this month (April 1973) the shit hit the fan and Watergate became a full-blown scandal. Just three months into Nixon's second term, his presidency was crippled. Eventually, he would resign from office.

The mainstream press always hated Nixon -- a sure sign he must have done something right. A third-rate burglary like Watergate was their opportunity to take him down.

So, what did the President know, and when did know it? Nixon knew nothing. No evidence exists to prove he knew of a plot to break into the Watergate complex, or that he ordered the break-in. The whole investigation and reporting flung a lot of mud Nixon's way, but ultimately revealed nothing relevant. Nixon was as good as innocent.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

The best US president was Woodrow Wilson.

He had the balls to f**k America in the butt and submit the co-ownership of the country to the Federal Reserve. Citizens are nothing but a monetary value to the Feds now.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Price controls *cough* *cough* . On a more serious note, what about JFK?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Nah,Coolidge or Jefferson. Coolidge left everyone alone, and Jefferson was very pro freedom.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

Nixon succeeded the WORST president since 1960: Lyndon Johnson.

LBJ single-handedly destroyed America for all time to come:

1) Vietnam War
2) Civil Rights Act of 1964
3) Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965

Believe me, the above 3 did far more damage than price controls.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

True. And the great society. The civil rights act was a double edged sword. If you are saying from 1960 forward, I would say JFK. He wanted to move towards a militia instead of an army, he lowered taxes,and was not as big government as most since 1960. And before anyone mentions Reagan, he expanded the REX 84 program and raised taxes, among other things. Honestly, eve JFK was iffy. Please note, I am referring to JFK alone, not his successor. I will give Nixon credit for ending Vietnam.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Brazor wrote:Nixon succeeded the WORST president since 1960: Lyndon Johnson.

1) Vietnam War

He also gave the green light for the scientists and government to release HIV into some of the American population in order to control de-populate the "overgrowth surplus" of people in America. He was a bigot too.

Wilson predicted that America will retain its puritanical values of being solely all about business as the standard for American society.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Brazor wrote:Nixon succeeded the WORST president since 1960: Lyndon Johnson.

1) Vietnam War

He also helped orchestrate the assassination of JFK, and many others too, including his own sister Josefa. This has been attested to by his lawyer, his mistress, and a Texas wheeler dealer named Billy Sol Estes. That makes him one of the worst politicians in US history, a total criminal and murderer, who should go down in history as such. More info in my report here: http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Conspiracies.htm
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

Nixon ended the Vietnam War in probably the only way a president in his position could. If he had withdrawn suddenly, he would have risked damaging America's reputation to its allies and enemies abroad. The US had pledged itself against Communism, and to South Vietnam's defense. Turning tail would have been a humiliation.

Not only did he end the war, he also ended the draft. He did exactly what the liberals wanted. And STILL the liberals took him down. They were so hate-filled, they even took down his Vice President, whom they also hated passionately.

Can you believe that? Less than two years after Nixon-Agnew were re-elected by the largest popular and electoral vote in US history up till then, both were forced out. Watergate was nothing less than a coup against Nixon.
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

The US had pledged itself against Communism, and to South Vietnam's defense. Turning tail would have been a
humiliation.
That's why I'm skeptical about the claim that JFK would not have sent troops to Vietnam. I'd like to believe that he wouldn't have, but he had publicly argued that the US had to defend South Vietnam. He had already escalated US involvement by the time he died.

So would he have pulled the US out of South Vietnam and allowed the Communist North to take over? I find that hard to believe. He reportedly said that the solution was to have a South Vietnamese government (perhaps some neutral, coalition government including communists) that would ask the US to leave, thereby giving the US a graceful way out. We'll never know how that would have turned out.

JFK seemed genuinely committed to ending the threat of nuclear war, especially after the Cuban Missile Crisis. And he tried to stop Israel from acquiring and building nuclear weapons.

One more thing: he dragged his feet on the Civil Rights issue. I think he would have had to give the blacks something: popular pressure was too great by then. But he might have given them less than what LBJ did.

BTW, when the first Civil Rights Act was passed in 1957, Senator Lyndon Johnson voted for it. Senator John F. Kennedy voted AGAINST it, as a Democratic Senator would have been expected to do at the time.
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

Had Nixon been a liberal Democrat, he almost surely would have won the Nobel Peace Prize. Nixon had opened relations with China. He had negotiated a nuclear arms treaty with the Soviet Union. He had ended the Vietnam War. More than any other US president, Nixon had advanced peace in a dangerous era.

Of course, the Norwegian Nobel Committee knew all this. But it was stacked with Nixon-hating leftists, so they chose not to award the Peace Prize to anyone in 1972. When Nixon had another chance to receive the Prize in 1973, the Committee awarded it instead to his National Security Advisor/Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Brazor wrote:Nixon ended the Vietnam War in probably the only way a president in his position could. If he had withdrawn suddenly, he would have risked damaging America's reputation to its allies and enemies abroad. The US had pledged itself against Communism, and to South Vietnam's defense. Turning tail would have been a humiliation.

Not only did he end the war, he also ended the draft. He did exactly what the liberals wanted. And STILL the liberals took him down. They were so hate-filled, they even took down his Vice President, whom they also hated passionately.
Probably he was taken down for going off the global gold standard before the banksters wanted him to. They tend to be touchy about things like that. Look at what happened when Strauss-Kahn wanted to prematurely replace US dollars with SDRs as the World's reserve currency.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Nixon was a tool. In addition to imposing the aforementioned price controls, he acted above the law:

The term Watergate has come to encompass an array of clandestine and often illegal activities undertaken by members of the Nixon administration. Those activities included "dirty tricks" such as bugging the offices of political opponents and people of whom Nixon or his officials were suspicious. Nixon and his close aides ordered harassment of activist groups and political figures, using the FBI, CIA, and the Internal Revenue Service. The activities became known after five men were caught breaking into Democratic party headquarters at the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C. on June 17, 1972.

In July 1973, White House aide Alexander Butterfield testified that Nixon had a secret taping system that recorded his conversations and phone calls in the Oval Office. These tapes were subpoenaed by Watergate Special Counsel Archibald Cox. Nixon refused to release them, citing executive privilege. With the White House and Cox at loggerheads, Nixon had Cox fired in October in the "Saturday Night Massacre"; he was replaced by Leon Jaworski.

However, one of the new tapes, recorded soon after the break-in, demonstrated that Nixon had been told of the White House connection to the Watergate burglaries soon after they took place, and had approved plans to thwart the investigation.

If it were not for Gerald Ford, Nixon would have been convicted by both the US Senate and a federal jury.

And for you right wing wackos, I put it to you that Nixon was the first to make Affirmative Action national policy. How you like him now?
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

Cornfed wrote: Probably he was taken down for going off the global gold standard before the banksters wanted him to.
That's a theory I've heard before too. Nixon smashed the Bretton Woods monetary system when he cancelled convertibility of the dollar into gold. The so-called "Nixon shock," as he did not inform his Western European allies and Japan beforehand.

With the dollar's value sinking (thanks to LBJ's deficit financing of the Vietnam War), nations with dollars in their foreign currency reserves were naturally going to rush to the US to exchange them for gold. This was never part of the original plan when Bretton Woods was originally set up, so Nixon shut the gold window, and announced that the dollar would no longer be pegged to gold, but would instead "float" relative to other currencies.

Nixon stopped the run on gold -- but at the price of his presidency?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

There's no such thing as a good politician, it's like calling them an honest burglar. The only past presidents that had a conscience were the ones that died in office, Garfield, Lincoln and JFK. Every president except for one(I can't remember who) is directly related to the British royal family.