Nixon: Probably the best US President since 1960...

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Nixon was a tool. In addition to imposing the aforementioned price controls, he acted above the law:

The term Watergate has come to encompass an array of clandestine and often illegal activities undertaken by members of the Nixon administration. Those activities included "dirty tricks" such as bugging the offices of political opponents and people of whom Nixon or his officials were suspicious. Nixon and his close aides ordered harassment of activist groups and political figures, using the FBI, CIA, and the Internal Revenue Service. The activities became known after five men were caught breaking into Democratic party headquarters at the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C. on June 17, 1972.

In July 1973, White House aide Alexander Butterfield testified that Nixon had a secret taping system that recorded his conversations and phone calls in the Oval Office. These tapes were subpoenaed by Watergate Special Counsel Archibald Cox. Nixon refused to release them, citing executive privilege. With the White House and Cox at loggerheads, Nixon had Cox fired in October in the "Saturday Night Massacre"; he was replaced by Leon Jaworski.

However, one of the new tapes, recorded soon after the break-in, demonstrated that Nixon had been told of the White House connection to the Watergate burglaries soon after they took place, and had approved plans to thwart the investigation.
All this is peanuts. Sensational, and overblown. At most, Nixon deserved a slap on the wrist. The whole investigation was just one big fishing expedition, revealing nothing about Nixon's role in the Watergate break-in -- because he had no role. Hence, the fishing expedition, egged on by the news media.

Cox was just another anti-Nixon Democrat who didn't know what he was looking for. He very likely knew that the tapes would reveal dirt on Nixon that did not pertain to the Watergate case. Nixon understandably refused to release the tapes, which only made him look like he was covering up something -- exactly the appearance the news media had wanted. Much of what the tapes later revealed was damaging to Nixon, but irrelevant.

As for the so-called "smoking gun" tape, of course they got him. But again, peanuts. The Washington Post was after Nixon in 1972, an election year, and Nixon figured (correctly) that if he didn't cover up White House involvement, the Post would damage his re-election chances by blaming him for the burglary, even though he had nothing to do with it.

Nixon went along with the cover-up, and allowed the Post to make an issue out of the precise date that Nixon said he had learned of the burglars's connection to the White House. The tapes revealed that Nixon had learned of the connection at an earlier date than the one he had claimed. That's how the news media nailed him. BFD.

I put it to you that Nixon was the first to make Affirmative Action national policy. How you like him now?
Well, I never said Nixon was the greatest president of all time. Only the best since 1960, which isn't saying much.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

Is this the speech that sealed his fate?

(from 0:15 to 1:18 )

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Brazor wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Nixon was a tool. In addition to imposing the aforementioned price controls, he acted above the law:

The term Watergate has come to encompass an array of clandestine and often illegal activities undertaken by members of the Nixon administration. Those activities included "dirty tricks" such as bugging the offices of political opponents and people of whom Nixon or his officials were suspicious. Nixon and his close aides ordered harassment of activist groups and political figures, using the FBI, CIA, and the Internal Revenue Service. The activities became known after five men were caught breaking into Democratic party headquarters at the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C. on June 17, 1972.

In July 1973, White House aide Alexander Butterfield testified that Nixon had a secret taping system that recorded his conversations and phone calls in the Oval Office. These tapes were subpoenaed by Watergate Special Counsel Archibald Cox. Nixon refused to release them, citing executive privilege. With the White House and Cox at loggerheads, Nixon had Cox fired in October in the "Saturday Night Massacre"; he was replaced by Leon Jaworski.

However, one of the new tapes, recorded soon after the break-in, demonstrated that Nixon had been told of the White House connection to the Watergate burglaries soon after they took place, and had approved plans to thwart the investigation.
All this is peanuts. Sensational, and overblown. At most, Nixon deserved a slap on the wrist. The whole investigation was just one big fishing expedition, revealing nothing about Nixon's role in the Watergate break-in -- because he had no role. Hence, the fishing expedition, egged on by the news media.

Cox was just another anti-Nixon Democrat who didn't know what he was looking for. He very likely knew that the tapes would reveal dirt on Nixon that did not pertain to the Watergate case. Nixon understandably refused to release the tapes, which only made him look like he was covering up something -- exactly the appearance the news media had wanted. Much of what the tapes later revealed was damaging to Nixon, but irrelevant.

As for the so-called "smoking gun" tape, of course they got him. But again, peanuts. The Washington Post was after Nixon in 1972, an election year, and Nixon figured (correctly) that if he didn't cover up White House involvement, the Post would damage his re-election chances by blaming him for the burglary, even though he had nothing to do with it.

Nixon went along with the cover-up, and allowed the Post to make an issue out of the precise date that Nixon said he had learned of the burglars's connection to the White House. The tapes revealed that Nixon had learned of the connection at an earlier date than the one he had claimed. That's how the news media nailed him. BFD.

I put it to you that Nixon was the first to make Affirmative Action national policy. How you like him now?
Well, I never said Nixon was the greatest president of all time. Only the best since 1960, which isn't saying much.
All you can muster as a refutation to what is historical fact is "all peanuts?" I think we've just come across another "Ignore" button candidate.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Nixon: Probably the best US President since 1960...

Post by Winston »

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Roger Stone, a long time political insider in Washington DC, reveals in this speech and interview some things about Nixon and Watergate and his pardon, that the American people were not told and have been covered up. He has a new book about it too, called "Nixon's Secrets: The Untold Story of Watergate and the Pardon". Apparently, the CIA tried to assassination Nixon several times, but failed. The power cabal were pissed that Nixon pulled troops out of Vietnam which made defense contractors lose their profits, and that he normalized relations with China, which they didn't want.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEF7vpmqZOI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWpJ7ubN_6g[/youtube]
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I don't get something. We've all seen photos of Nixon at Bohemian Grove, the camp of the elites and their secret societies which run America. So why didn't the secret society that Nixon belonged to, protect him during the Watergate scandal?

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I don't believe that about China, they wanted a dictatorship there and they had that and it was time to start laying the foundation for what has risen today.
Time to Hide!