"Bachelors Abroad" - New AFA Reality Show on Nat Geo!

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Winston
Site Admin

"Bachelors Abroad" - New AFA Reality Show on Nat Geo!

Post by Winston »

Press Release from A Foreign Affair about their appearance on a new TV reality show called "Bachelors Abroad" on the National Geographic Channel:

A FOREIGN AFFAIR PRESS RELEASE

Phoenix Dating Company A Foreign Affair Announces Reality Show

The National Geographic Channel Enters the World of International Dating.

Phoenix, January 7, 2013: The Phoenix-based company A Foreign Affair is the focus of a new reality show on The National Geographic Channel that will premiere on Saturday, January 12th, 2013 at 11:00 pm EST (9:00 pm MST). The show is entitled “Bachelors Abroad� and follows A Foreign Affair tour clients as they participate in the company’s international romance tours.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... rs-abroad/

Follow groups of eager, single, American men who are ditching their local dating scenes to find love abroad! The groups visit multiple foreign cities, attend socials where the women significantly outnumber the men, and try to meet the women who could change their lives forever.

A Foreign Affair president and co-founder, John Adams, is excited for the public to finally get a glimpse of international dating. “This is something that we have been working towards for almost twenty years! We couldn’t be happier that a network as prestigious as National Geographic was the one to finally realize what amazing potential our singles tours really hold. This show will give the public a window into what really takes place during an international singles tour!�

The show will attempt to give a clear, honest perspective on dating abroad. “I was on the tour that was filmed,� says Mr. Adams, “and I have to say it was very exciting. The guys were fantastic. The film crew members were like flies on the wall, simply observing and recording everything as it took place.�

A Foreign Affair is one of the world’s top international dating agencies and hosts over 40 tours a year to places like Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Asia. On a tour, clients have the chance to explore new cities, meet new people, and discover long-lasting relationships. The clients enjoy one-on-one introductions, large social events throughout their tours, and many other tour accommodations. To learn more about A Foreign Affair, please visit our website at http://www.LoveMe.com.

Images from the new reality show:

More photos here:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... en-324349/
Last edited by Winston on February 14th, 2013, 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

This looks an interesting show.

I would advise anyone thinking about going abroad / looking for a foreign woman to watch this show, as I am sure there will be some useful information to pick up.

For those in the UK this show is currently not listed on Sky, but I would imagine it won't be long before its broadcast here.
Robin Hood.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a one minute clip from the show, where a police officer discusses finding a Russian wife with his daughters and friends. It looks pretty funny.

Last edited by Winston on October 29th, 2013, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I'm sure the show will portray these guys as bumbling idiots and the women as golddigging whores.

A show like that could only be a success if it played into the ugly stereotypes.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:I'm sure the show will portray these guys as bumbling idiots and the women as golddigging whores.

A show like that could only be a success if it played into the ugly stereotypes.
We'll see... I can record this and post it if any of you are interested.
Mark Edward Davis
Freshman Poster

Copy of my blog post on the topic of "Bachelors Abroad&

Post by Mark Edward Davis »

Guys:

I wrote a blog on this and I wanted to share it here.

It starts tonight, National Geographic's newest reality show called, "Bachelors Abroad".

Here's how they describe it:
"BACHELORS ABROAD goes inside the wild world of international romance tours. Head off on a ten day tour of Ukraine where American men throw themselves full on into the search for something they can't find in the USA -- a BRIDE. Each year, John Adams's Phoenix, AZ-based company, A Foreign Affair, takes men on trips around the world -- from Cartagena to St. Petersburg to Kiev and the Philippines -- with one goal in mind: finding a bride. Hundreds of women in their hometowns sign themselves up for the chance at a better life in America through this fast-paced route to marriage."
We watched the one working trailer that was playing on the National Geographic site. It features a 51-year old police officer named Joe Gregory. Joe decides it's time for him to go find a wife and he's heading for Ukraine. The cameras come in to his dining room as we observe him telling his four adult daughters about his decision. None of them are impressed. Finally, he breaks it down into simpler terms so they see it as nothing different from any other form of online dating.

Next, we see two of Greg's buddies come of so he can share the news with them. He first takes them to a computer where he shows photos of girls he's been writing to - stunning women by any standard. As the camera zooms in on a bikini photo we hear Joe say, "This one is really sincere".

We'll see what this all means following the airing of the first program, but I have my concerns over what we can see so far.

You were led to view Joe as a guy chasing bikini-clad women and not sincere in his pursuit of a soulmate.

They portray the women as "green card hunters" who are only looking for a free ride to the good life in America.

The reason we want to watch this program is because there will be others who will. This show may just add more fuel to the existing stereo-types. If that's the case, then you'll just have to deal with more people who doubt your motives and warn you about these bad girls.

I have no intention on allowing misinformation to go unchallenged and I will be vigilant in providing commentary for you to share with your skeptical friends that can help add balance to their digest of skewed reality TV programming.

JUST SO YOU KNOW - I talked to Bud Patterson about this in September. I knew it was coming out and asked him about it. He made it clear that they have no control over the editing or final content so, as he said, he hoped they would be kind to us and our industry.

Let's hope so! We'll find out tonight.

Mark
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:I'm sure the show will portray these guys as bumbling idiots and the women as golddigging whores.

It's more likely that the show will portray foreign bride seeking in either a positive or mixed light. Otherwise, AFA would not be promoting it. Use your common sense.

Remember that movie about foreign brides called "Two Brothers and a Bride" aka "A Foreign Affair" back in 2003? It was endorsed by AFA but the film ended up portraying some of the good and bad sides of romance tours. It was not all good or all bad. It just made it look like a fun interesting experience where you can meet good and bad women.

IMDB info:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305583/

Here are some clips from the film "Two Brothers and a Bride (2003)".

Mark Edward Davis
Freshman Poster

Winston wrote: It's more likely that the show will portray foreign bride seeking in either a positive or mixed light. Otherwise, AFA would not be promoting it.
Just keep in mind that AFA is still promoting that NightLine segment on their website too - that was nothing short of a complete disaster for them and the industry.

There's a book on Donald Trump called, "No Such Thing as Over Exposure". They may feel that any media can be good media.

When I talked with Bud Patterson back in September he made reference to the NightLine show and recalled what a train wreck that was. I think they're a little nervous too. Every THEY don't know what will be shown on the final airing.

We ALL hope for the best for the sake of our movement. Now we just wait and see.
RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

djfourmoney wrote:

Yeah, if you can record and post that would be great, as currently not showing in the UK / Europe.

Thanks.
Robin Hood.
Mark Edward Davis
Freshman Poster

Surprised - but in a good way

This was obviously a one-off show and not a series. It was a good program and accurately reflected the AFA tour experience.

However, having Bob Ray as a dater was fake - obviously - he's one of their tour guides.

The problem with the AFA tour experience is still the same. You're thrown in a room with 200 plus ladies with no game plan and you have to go find a translator to help. Even if you connect with someone you're off to another city the next day and the momentum is lost.

However, this will be a positive for our industry because it made it look possible for good men to meet gorgeous women and more guys will want to give it a chance.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

RobinHood wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:

Yeah, if you can record and post that would be great, as currently not showing in the UK / Europe.

Thanks.
I got it, its copy protected however. I think it can be burned to a DVD let me check on that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

djfourmoney wrote:
I got it, its copy protected however. I think it can be burned to a DVD let me check on that.
If you recorded it off the TV, then how can it be copy protected? lol

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Edward Davis
Freshman Poster

This "pilot" episode will most likely air several more times so there should be more opportunities. Hulu.com should have it for free this week.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

I missed the pilot episode. Does anyone know when it on again. The Average Joe preview looking like an Infomercial.

The short bald guy in the second and third pictures above was on another dating documentary. Does anyone remember it?

I'm interested in seeing this TV show. Was Dan the Man in it or did he get cut out. He was my original tour leader back in 2004. I also was on the same tour that Mark Davis was on that he met Anna.