Feminist Lawmakers in Philippines make it harder to marry

Discuss news and current events around the world.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Mr S wrote: So you guys visiting Ayala Mall in Cebu, beware this dude. I've only ever seen/dealt with Western beggars in two other places in PI, Angeles City and Cubao near the bus terminals.
I also noticed a (this?) foreign guy in the Ayala Mall in Cebu last April/May. He was looking out for people from USA/UK, as they are known to be very much into donations, charities etc. He was starting with his story asking if I am from USA too, and I said, sorry, no, and he was telling me a story about being scammed and now he is out of money and need urgent financial help and I said bye-bye.

No way!

I have seen foreign beggars from Western countries (UK, New Zealand, Australia) in Malaysia and Thailand, asking me for money for going home, for an urgent medical diabetes-treatment, being a victim of robbery last night or offering similar heartbreaking stories.

All of these foreign beggars, they were white men like me. Maybe drug-abusers out of money etc.

I feel somehow ashamed, but well, I am not responsible for bad behavior of Western foreigners in Asia.
markpost
Freshman Poster

Post by markpost »

What will this bill mean for someone that would like to marry in the US? Do you still need to meet the new requirements then? Can they prevent Filipino women from leaving the country to marry?

It seems like it would take a long time for a diplomatic or consular official to produce a certificate of good moral character, if they would do it at all.

I'd like to find a Filipino bride some day but don't want to spend years going through a bunch of legal hurdles.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

markpost wrote: Can they prevent Filipino women from leaving the country to marry?
There are already laws in Philippines, which can be used to refuse a young female (adult, 18+) to board an international airplane.

There are already laws in Philippines, which make it very difficult for any minor to board an International airplane without both parents with him or her.

In Philippines, as a fact it is a very bureaucratic, corrupt and underdeveloped country, and you need documents from here and from there all the time, often never ending unless you pay 'tips' - even if perfectly legal, some 'tip' helps to speed up clearance remarkably, regardless for what.

It's not only about any personal relationship as a foreign man, for example if you need a land titel as a Filipino when buying a land plot, you often have the choice either to wait, some years maybe, or to pay and the document will be ready within a few weeks.

If you need a restroom with running water, soap and toiletpaper in Manila International Airport the best is to call any guy around you and pay him something, in a few minutes all will be provided what you urgently need ...

That's the way of life in Philippines, it cannot be changed easily.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Mr S wrote:
Hero wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:That's the problem when you have a country overrun by derelicts and dregs. They destroy the environment for normal men. That's why I stay out of the well-trodden gringo zones and keep my destinations to myself.
That's true, the Philippines does attract a lot of dirtbag ne'er-do-wells who are ruining the reputation of all American men over there. Two years ago, I met a redneck expat in Cebu who asked me to "loan" him 1000 php (about $25). So I decided I'd help a brother out and gave him the money. Sure enough, a couple of days later he sends me a text message, asking for 2000 php this time. I didn't even respond that time, but he wasn't so easily discouraged; a couple of months ago I get an email from him telling me that he's knocked up some girl and has no means to support her and the baby, and won't I pleeease help him out :x

I try to be as different as I can from guys like this. When I visit the Philippines I'm always well-dressed, well-groomed, and polite. And I would never move there unless I had a sizeable pile of cash and investments to live on.
Ha! There is some American Red neck guy that scours the Cebu Ayala mall looking for foreigners to con, I bet that's the same guy I ran into. About a year ago I met this guy coming out of Rustan's there and he acted all cool and nice at first, talking about USA crap and Filipino stuff, then he started working his sob story about starting a business with his Filipina wife, having a baby then losing all his money or something then trying to give me the hard sell on giving him some money. Luckily I was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego where there used to be dozens of bums downtown that would give me the same sob stories, as well as visiting San Francisco a few times and navigating that bastion of bumsville, so my heart learned to harden to Western sob stories. These guys prey on the good natured spirit of the average American. This is why I never give money to bums cause it just keeps them plying their trade for handouts.

I was back in Cebu a few months ago and saw the same guy and then he saw me and I noticed he started following me around the mall trying to catch up with me. I had to walk fast and dart through the big store and run around the different floors to lose him.

If any of you guys run into him just tell him to get lost or just politely try to get away from him. I think he is from one of the Southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, Lousisiana, I can't remember which one it is but he has a think Southern accent and talks like one ignorant friendly bumpkin from the hills.

He's a tear jerker con man, we still can't get away from them, even in PI!

oh shit i ran into that guy Actually it was SM mall. I gave him like 100 pesos cause my barhoe was with me and he was there and it felt awkward cause i didnt know he was going to hit me up for money after he talked for a minute. He walked with me for a minute to outside then gave astory and then sked me money and said his girlfriend took him for what he got. lol my bargirl whore was like where you from sir. he had a southern accent so it must be him lol but my bargirl was such a whore asking him where he is from and calling him sir. typical bargirl mentality. my current gf didn't say anything to a korean guy i was talking to this last trip who was actually living in america but visiting for fun. be suspect anytime your girl is flirting or initating conversation with a gu y your talking to.

I never did see hi again this was 2012.

There is some guy in angeles that same year that was saying he was in jail and was smoking. anyone seen that guy lately?
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Yohan wrote:
markpost wrote: Can they prevent Filipino women from leaving the country to marry?
There are already laws in Philippines, which can be used to refuse a young female (adult, 18+) to board an international airplane.

There are already laws in Philippines, which make it very difficult for any minor to board an International airplane without both parents with him or her.

In Philippines, as a fact it is a very bureaucratic, corrupt and underdeveloped country, and you need documents from here and from there all the time, often never ending unless you pay 'tips' - even if perfectly legal, some 'tip' helps to speed up clearance remarkably, regardless for what.

It's not only about any personal relationship as a foreign man, for example if you need a land titel as a Filipino when buying a land plot, you often have the choice either to wait, some years maybe, or to pay and the document will be ready within a few weeks.

If you need a restroom with running water, soap and toiletpaper in Manila International Airport the best is to call any guy around you and pay him something, in a few minutes all will be provided what you urgently need ...

That's the way of life in Philippines, it cannot be changed easily.

With respect to bureaucracy, corruptness, underdeveloped and the need to "tip" to grease the skids, it's also the same in Latin American countries.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 27th, 2020, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bstyle
Freshman Poster

Post by Bstyle »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Mr S wrote:
Hero wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:That's the problem when you have a country overrun by derelicts and dregs. They destroy the environment for normal men. That's why I stay out of the well-trodden gringo zones and keep my destinations to myself.
That's true, the Philippines does attract a lot of dirtbag ne'er-do-wells who are ruining the reputation of all American men over there. Two years ago, I met a redneck expat in Cebu who asked me to "loan" him 1000 php (about $25). So I decided I'd help a brother out and gave him the money. Sure enough, a couple of days later he sends me a text message, asking for 2000 php this time. I didn't even respond that time, but he wasn't so easily discouraged; a couple of months ago I get an email from him telling me that he's knocked up some girl and has no means to support her and the baby, and won't I pleeease help him out :x

I try to be as different as I can from guys like this. When I visit the Philippines I'm always well-dressed, well-groomed, and polite. And I would never move there unless I had a sizeable pile of cash and investments to live on.
Ha! There is some American Red neck guy that scours the Cebu Ayala mall looking for foreigners to con, I bet that's the same guy I ran into. About a year ago I met this guy coming out of Rustan's there and he acted all cool and nice at first, talking about USA crap and Filipino stuff, then he started working his sob story about starting a business with his Filipina wife, having a baby then losing all his money or something then trying to give me the hard sell on giving him some money. Luckily I was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego where there used to be dozens of bums downtown that would give me the same sob stories, as well as visiting San Francisco a few times and navigating that bastion of bumsville, so my heart learned to harden to Western sob stories. These guys prey on the good natured spirit of the average American. This is why I never give money to bums cause it just keeps them plying their trade for handouts.

I was back in Cebu a few months ago and saw the same guy and then he saw me and I noticed he started following me around the mall trying to catch up with me. I had to walk fast and dart through the big store and run around the different floors to lose him.

If any of you guys run into him just tell him to get lost or just politely try to get away from him. I think he is from one of the Southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, Lousisiana, I can't remember which one it is but he has a think Southern accent and talks like one ignorant friendly bumpkin from the hills.

He's a tear jerker con man, we still can't get away from them, even in PI!

oh shit i ran into that guy Actually it was SM mall. I gave him like 100 pesos cause my barhoe was with me and he was there and it felt awkward cause i didnt know he was going to hit me up for money after he talked for a minute. He walked with me for a minute to outside then gave astory and then sked me money and said his girlfriend took him for what he got.
In my 7 years in Asia I ran into a bunch of western beggars that tell that same story. With western beggars in Asia it's usually one of two things that ended up happening. Either he got with a local woman who was a gold digger that spent all of his money and then dumped him, leaving him with nothing or he got fired from his teaching job and thrown out of his apartment. A lot of expats spend all of their money on partying and gold diggers so when something like that happens they're often unprepared.

If you're living in Asia, or any foreign country for that matter, you always need to have a few thousand dollars saved up in case something bad happens. There were a couple times where I would have ended up homeless had I not had an emergency fund.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My friend has something to say about this thread:
... tell the guys to convert to Islam. So simple! Cuts through bullshit like a light saber

Sharia law overrules the a-hole Filipino laws

Muslims don't require ANY (as in zero zip nada zilch) documentation. Just fill your names (any names, they don't check your ID!) and voila... married

No Embassy shit, no marriage license, no f***ing nothing! And you can have up to 7 wives and divorce is easy
Read about his Muslim marriage in the Philippines here:

viewtopic.php?t=22895

There are many advantages to it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
galileo2333
Freshman Poster

Re: Feminist Lawmakers in Philippines make it harder to marry

Post by galileo2333 »

That social worker who tried to convince your wife not to marry you should be executed in the Philippines electric chair.
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

They are doing foreign men a favour.

The things you can do when you are married in The Philippines can be done without being married.
If things don't work out, you split up without worrying about still being married.
If you split up while married and sleep with others you are now breaking the law, because adultery is illegal there.
Also, many clueless foreign men don't even know that when you marry there, any family problems are now only a civil matter, not a criminal one.
So if some member of her family does anything to you, it is civil, not criminal.

If you are a foreigner, at lease you can go home and get a divorce from the Filipina in your home country, but still that is complicated and expensive.

When you marry in the Philippines you now have a contract on a piece of paper that says the corrupt Filipino government and corrupt catholic church are involved the relationship. Why would you want to involve them in your relationship?

Muslim marriages there are better than catholic ones, but still not worth it.

Marriage is a legal contract and with the Philippines being so corrupt and having no divorce and adultery being illegal I'm convinced that legally it is the worst country in the world to get married.

Perhaps some other country with marriage laws not written in English has worse marriage laws, but from what I can read the Philippines is the worst.

Ironically it might be the easiest country in the world to get married, because so many very attractive, sweet and single women are dying to get married, especially to foreigners.

It is probably also the easiest country to date in the world, so why would you sign a legal contract for one Filipina, when it is so easy to have many women one after the other without a contract?

My advice is to date there but never marry. If she gives an ultimatum about marriage, split up and get another until she does the same.

Filipinos marry without really thinking about what they are doing. They do it because of family pressure and tradition. If you ask most Filipinos if they like the Government, they will usually say no, because they are corrupt. So then ask them why do you want them involved in your relationship? That always confuses them and they usually don't know what to say. They will then claim they are catholic and want the church involved, even though they don't practice being catholic.

The place has so much cheating, lying, bribing and scamming going on, from the average person to the police, lawyers and government officials. Why would you want to legally get involved with that amount of corruption?

I recommend every foreigner look up marriage, annulment, adultery and separation laws in The Philippines and write down the disadvantages and benefits of being married there compared to just dating, living and having kids with women there but not being married.

The list of legal disadvantages of being married and then possibly separated is much longer, and all the things you can do when you are married are not illegal when you are single.

Foreigners forget that being married is legally much worse than being single there. If you are single and then get engaged and then married it is a step backwards. You were a free agent and could legally play the field, but after signing a contract you are tied to one and trying to get out of that contract is a nightmare and if you play the field while under contract you are now breaking the law in a highly corrupt foreign country.

If you are legally single and are sleeping with a married woman you are also breaking the law there, so I highly recommend obtaining cenomar's from any women you suspect might be married. This is the advantage of dating the 18, 19 and 20 year old's there since the chance of them being married is almost nil.

Being single is the ultimate legal situation, that's why I am legally single for life.

If a Filipina or any other woman really liked you, they would stay with you without getting married.

Some comedian once said imagine if marriage didn't exist, and one day someone invented it.

They said to his/her partner: What we have here is so special, let's the get the government involved!

"Women want to get married, but they don't want to be married" - Tom Leykis
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Post by Outcast9428 »

Will N. Dowd wrote:
April 28th, 2022, 1:36 pm
They are doing foreign men a favour.

The things you can do when you are married in The Philippines can be done without being married.
If things don't work out, you split up without worrying about still being married.
If you split up while married and sleep with others you are now breaking the law, because adultery is illegal there.
Also, many clueless foreign men don't even know that when you marry there, any family problems are now only a civil matter, not a criminal one.
So if some member of her family does anything to you, it is civil, not criminal.

If you are a foreigner, at lease you can go home and get a divorce from the Filipina in your home country, but still that is complicated and expensive.

When you marry in the Philippines you now have a contract on a piece of paper that says the corrupt Filipino government and corrupt catholic church are involved the relationship. Why would you want to involve them in your relationship?

Muslim marriages there are better than catholic ones, but still not worth it.

Marriage is a legal contract and with the Philippines being so corrupt and having no divorce and adultery being illegal I'm convinced that legally it is the worst country in the world to get married.

Perhaps some other country with marriage laws not written in English has worse marriage laws, but from what I can read the Philippines is the worst.

Ironically it might be the easiest country in the world to get married, because so many very attractive, sweet and single women are dying to get married, especially to foreigners.

It is probably also the easiest country to date in the world, so why would you sign a legal contract for one Filipina, when it is so easy to have many women one after the other without a contract?

My advice is to date there but never marry. If she gives an ultimatum about marriage, split up and get another until she does the same.

Filipinos marry without really thinking about what they are doing. They do it because of family pressure and tradition. If you ask most Filipinos if they like the Government, they will usually say no, because they are corrupt. So then ask them why do you want them involved in your relationship? That always confuses them and they usually don't know what to say. They will then claim they are catholic and want the church involved, even though they don't practice being catholic.

The place has so much cheating, lying, bribing and scamming going on, from the average person to the police, lawyers and government officials. Why would you want to legally get involved with that amount of corruption?

I recommend every foreigner look up marriage, annulment, adultery and separation laws in The Philippines and write down the disadvantages and benefits of being married there compared to just dating, living and having kids with women there but not being married.

The list of legal disadvantages of being married and then possibly separated is much longer, and all the things you can do when you are married are not illegal when you are single.

Foreigners forget that being married is legally much worse than being single there. If you are single and then get engaged and then married it is a step backwards. You were a free agent and could legally play the field, but after signing a contract you are tied to one and trying to get out of that contract is a nightmare and if you play the field while under contract you are now breaking the law in a highly corrupt foreign country.

If you are legally single and are sleeping with a married woman you are also breaking the law there, so I highly recommend obtaining cenomar's from any women you suspect might be married. This is the advantage of dating the 18, 19 and 20 year old's there since the chance of them being married is almost nil.

Being single is the ultimate legal situation, that's why I am legally single for life.

If a Filipina or any other woman really liked you, they would stay with you without getting married.

Some comedian once said imagine if marriage didn't exist, and one day someone invented it.

They said to his/her partner: What we have here is so special, let's the get the government involved!

"Women want to get married, but they don't want to be married" - Tom Leykis
You are a class A f***ing degenerate. You are what give all American men going to countries like the Philippines and Thailand a bad reputation. You are taking advantage of these sweet, innocent girls just to pump and dump as many of them as you can. Oh no, the Filipino government won't let me get divorced or cheat on my wife, its so awful! Seriously, stay away from Filipina girls. You don't deserve them.

As for the law. I don't see what the problem is. How is it feminist for the government to make sure the man marrying a woman can actually take care of one and isn't a criminal? You guys even said the requirement is only that you make like 150% more then poverty level wages? I mean, the Filipino standard for what constitutes poverty is ridiculously low. If you're not even making a few thousand dollars a year there's no way you can responsibly get married.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Outcast9428 wrote:
April 29th, 2022, 10:53 pm
You are a class A f***ing degenerate. You are what give all American men going to countries like the Philippines and Thailand a bad reputation. You are taking advantage of these sweet, innocent girls just to pump and dump as many of them as you can. Oh no, the Filipino government won't let me get divorced or cheat on my wife, its so awful! Seriously, stay away from Filipina girls. You don't deserve them.

As for the law. I don't see what the problem is. How is it feminist for the government to make sure the man marrying a woman can actually take care of one and isn't a criminal? You guys even said the requirement is only that you make like 150% more then poverty level wages? I mean, the Filipino standard for what constitutes poverty is ridiculously low. If you're not even making a few thousand dollars a year there's no way you can responsibly get married.
@Outcast9428 First and foremost, the proposal did not pass. I have been married to a Filipina for almost 2 years now and I know that, as of 2020, no paperwork was needed from me, the foreigner, certifying my working or earning status. As for the "certificate of moral character", the closest we got to that was a form where I had to self-certify the reason why I wanted to get married to C, my wife. This was in lieu of the face-to-face interview since Covid restrictions were still strict when we married (September 2020) and interviews had been suspended.

I think you tend to over-romanticise love, sex and the Filipinas. Many women in the Philippines cheat, too. Very few Filipino men can afford a 20-yo unmarried girl as their lover, so they usually cheat on their married partner with another married partner. When it comes to an affair between two consenting adults, one cannot simply put all the blame on the man, as if the woman could only be an innocent victim.

The Filipino government has absolutely no say on who cheats on whom, like any other country in the world. The only oddity is that divorce is not legally recognised by the government as well as the various Christian churches. Most couples who can afford it go through a process called an annulment, where a judge is essentially paid (= bribed) to attest that there has been at least one compelling reason why the marriage should have never taken place and is, therefore, to be considered null. Said reason usually being one of the partners being of "mentally unsound mind" at the time of marriage.

As for your accusations to @Will N. Dowd, no sexual relationship between two consenting adults can be considered degenerate. Some men expressly look for one good girl to start a relationship with, and eventually marry, some other are only looking for sex. I don't see what's wrong with this. So long the Filipina on the receiving end is happy with it, there's little point in passing moral judgments based on the alleged moral superiority or innocence of the Filipina. They're two consenting adults doing whatever they want.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

This type of law would be insulting to Filipinas and foreigners who marry them. It's kind of like if you have a baby, a social worker comes around asking the woman who just gave birth to sign a paper saying that she isn't suffering domestic abuse. Domestic abuse can happen, but it's insulting to give that paper to my wife.

In Indonesia maybe 15 years ago, a lawmaker proposed that Indonesia charge foreigners a fee for marrying foreign women. An actress married to a foreigner spoke out against this idea, saying she didn't agree with the Indonesian government selling women to foreigners.

How many Filipino men marry women without means of supporting them?

I wonder if the human trafficking part of it is aimed at some of the 'mail order bride' scams in China and elsewhere. I've heard of mail order brides from Vietnam being sold into sex slavery. It may be happening with Filipinas also.
galileo2333
Freshman Poster

Post by galileo2333 »

There should be a January 6 kind of overthrow of the Philippines government and women should be purged from power.

Women are a natural resource and should be exploited by men.