Record 94,708,000 Americans Not Working

Discuss news and current events around the world.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Record 94,708,000 Americans Not Working

Post by jamesbond »

A record 94,708,000 Americans were not in the labor force in May -- 664,000 more than in April -- and the labor force participation rate dropped two-tenths of a point to 62.6 percent, near its 38-year low, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on Friday.

When President Obama took office in January 2009, 80,529,000 Americans were not participating in the labor force; since then, 14,179,000 Americans have left the workforce -- some of them retiring and some just quitting because they can't find work.

When Obama took office in January 2009, shortly before the recession ended, the labor force participation rate was 65.7 percent. The following month, it reached an Obama-era high of 65.8 percent, and then it began its seven-year downward spiral, hitting 62.4 percent in September 2015, its lowest point since 1977.

In May, according to the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the nation’s civilian noninstitutional population, consisting of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, reached 253,174,000. Of those, 158,466,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one.

The 158,466,000 who participated in the labor force equaled 62.6 percent of the 253,174,000 civilian noninstitutional population.

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (also referred to as involuntary part-time workers) increased by 468,000 to 6.4 million in May, after showing little movement since November. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment, were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-j ... rate-drops
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Record 94,708,000 Americans Not Working

Post by jamesbond »

Ghost wrote:But that can't be true. Obama said the economy is great...
It's funny, two days before the horrible May job numbers came out (only 38,000 jobs created in the month of May) Obama was in Indiana saying how "great the economy was doing" and how "strong the job market was." :roll:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Slick
Freshman Poster

Post by Slick »

But the unemployment rate is at only 5% If it really was 5% there wouldn't be 90 million Americans not working and it wouldn't be so difficult to get a job.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Slick wrote:But the unemployment rate is at only 5% If it really was 5% there wouldn't be 90 million Americans not working and it wouldn't be so difficult to get a job.
The real unemployment rate is like 20% at least. It's only at 5% because discouraged workers who drop out of the labor force don't count for unemployment statistics.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Here is Peter Schiff talking about what's going on with the economy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bIcyEk5tE[/youtube]

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Alex Jones recently interviewed Peter Schiff regarding what's going on with the US economy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67wXRmntbJ8[/youtube]

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

46.2 million of those are over the age of 65.

A lot of those are stay at home parents. 5.2 million as of the last count.

2.3 million are in prison.

A few million are early retirees.

12.2 million are college students.

19.2 million are disabled persons under the age of 65.

Excluding early retirees, that gives us 85.1 million people of the 94.7 million not participating in the labor force accounted for.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

HouseMD wrote:46.2 million of those are over the age of 65.

Excluding early retirees, that gives us 85.1 million people of the 94.7 million not participating in the labor force accounted for.
Where are you getting your figures from? I read that the 94 million Americans not working are between the ages of 16 and 64, so they are not at retirement age yet.

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

jamesbond wrote:
HouseMD wrote:46.2 million of those are over the age of 65.

Where are you getting your figures from? I read that the 94 million Americans not working are between the ages of 16 and 64, so they are not at retirement age yet.
https://ricochet.com/no-there-arent-mor ... nemployed/
bostero
Freshman Poster

Post by bostero »

They're also leaving out choice bits about those who have stopped even bothering to seek work (and with good reason- it's just not going to happen!), as well as the fact that the new jobs are McJobs, not breadwinners' professions or unionized trades.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

bostero wrote:They're also leaving out choice bits about those who have stopped even bothering to seek work (and with good reason- it's just not going to happen!), as well as the fact that the new jobs are McJobs, not breadwinners' professions or unionized trades.
The numbers I posted do account for those that have stopped looking for work lol. It is government unemployment numbers that do not.As to underemployed people, no, those are not taken into consideration. Plenty of people are working, but good jobs are harder to find than ever.