The Benefit's and Disadvantage's of Universal Basic Income

Discuss news and current events around the world.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Benefit's and Disadvantage's of Universal Basic Income

Post by jamesbond »

The idea of universal basic income has been talked about by politicians for a while now. This video goes over the benefit's and disadvantages of universal basic income.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Benefit's and Disadvantage's of Universal Basic Income

Post by jamesbond »

Here is another interesting video explaining the pro's and con's of universal basic income.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 9th, 2019, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Ghost wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 11:53 am
People use technology to make work easier and more efficient, and is this really any different? Whether you dig a ditch with your hands, a spoon, a shovel, a bobcat, or an android, I doubt anyone would have a problem with it logically. It's still "you" working, even if it's you using technology to do it.

I'm not pro UBI, I'm just curious as to what those against UBI would think of such a scenario.
It wouldn't work because the employers would just buy their own androids. The employee isn't bringing anything to the party. Some legal fiction would need to be dreamed up to justify their pretended employment, much like the pretended employment of most females and blacks today.
NMBob
Freshman Poster

Post by NMBob »

The USA is currently 22 trillion in debt....eventually, other countries will quit loaning the usa money.

Now, in the video, what is $12k a year handed out to each of 247 million american adults......$2.9 trillion a year is what I come up with . Current usa annual budget is 4.4 trillion. even if you reduce other support payments and programs by 500 billion, that leaves 2.4 trillion budget increase, which would be over a 50 percent budget increase....while the country is 22 trillion in debt and piling on.......good luck with all that redistribution. If you want people to not lose a benefit if they work low income, you could simply raise the lower income limits of the benefit. 22 trillion in debt and growing, people need to start expecting cuts in what they receive from the government , not increases.

You would likely have to tax the crap out of the middle class. Be advised less than half of americans already do not pay income tax. Recent estimate of simply raising taxes to 70 percent on people with income over $10 million, would raise very roughly only 70 billion a year. So there is is 70 billion of the $2,400 billion a year you need, before all those people leave the country lol.....

Add a federal value added tax....wonderful....all those costs will be put in the price of products and we will all be poorer....
Last edited by NMBob on June 16th, 2019, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

NMBob wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:58 pm
The USA is currently 22 trillion in debt....eventually, other countries will quit loaning the usa money.

Now, in the video, what is $12k a year handed out to each of 247 million american adults......$2.9 trillion a year is what I come up with . Current usa annual budget is 4.4 trillion. even if you reduce other support payments and programs by 500 billion, that leaves 2.4 trillion budget increase, which would be over a 50 percent budget increase....while the country is 22 trillion in debt and piling on.......good luck with all that redistribution. If you want people to not lose a benefit if they work low income, you could simply raise the lower income limits of the benefit. 22 trillion in debt and growing, people need to start expecting cuts in what they receive from the government , not increases.
Or you could just change the current monetary system while telling the banksters to go screw themselves. Money is just a number. If there are goods to go around and people who can use them then it is just a distribution problem.