Good article: US Expats turning in their passports

Discuss news and current events around the world.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

ladislav wrote:
US citizenship, although coveted by many...
Many is the word but mostly by people from f#$%d up countries such as Haiti, Cuba or Ukraine ( I am an example), and the Philippines. It is definitely better to have a US passport than some passport from Liberia or the Philippines. It may be coveted by some rich Chinese who want to possibly do business there, but many now prefer Canada to the US anyway. It is by no means coveted by EU people or Aussies or other such wiser people.

Sometimes I think being a teacher helps you avoid a lot of hassle. Traditionally, the US culture despises teachers and (sees them as losers ) and so do US women. You can make quite a bit of money in Saudi but never approaching a high flier lifestyle of the HK based wheeler dealer. But he will be the one the IRS will go after, not a pitiful what they see as a "faggot" ESL teacher who could not make it at home.
Excellent point. With a good ESL salary one can become well to do but not rich. This enables you to avoid the attention of both the US authorities and the local ones. In many nations the successful are allowed to flourish and then 'the tall weeds are cut down to size' and they are found guilty of corruption or something and their assets are taken by the ruling party and given to the ruling party members party elite.

In China I estimate that with hard work and doing many privates, maybe being a DOS, maybe running ONE small school, that you can make 25,000 CNY to 50,000 CNY per month and not gain unwanted attention. That is a huge sum of money in China and if you know the tips and tricks you can get that money out through Hong Kong and put it in another bank somewhere. Keep that $10,000 limit in mind and the fascist USA reporting policies, too.

25k CNY per month for 2 years will net savings of 15k per month, 350k in 2 short years. That is $53k USD a house AND a car in China, or a few years on the beach in Cebu or Daguette. Do it for 5 years and you are retired. Move to Chang Mai, live for $300 a month, have a good life.

If the USD crashes, and I think it will, then that 350k CNY becomes, not $53k USD, but $175k. You are done. Retire, relax, date 20 yo Asian beauties.