What Does It Mean Be to Be a Man?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
zacb
Experienced Poster

What Does It Mean Be to Be a Man?

Post by zacb »

Now I am not encouraging the double standard of women being whatever they want to be or whatnot. But after watching Fight Club, it got me thinking. What does it mean to be a man? I know many of us either had piss poor examples of fathers, ones that never had a good example, or didn't have fathers during formative years, or at all. So it makes it real hard for this generation to understand what it means to be a man. So let me ask you this: in your opinion, what does it mean to be a man?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: What Does It Mean Be to Be a Man?

Post by Teal Lantern »

zacb wrote:Now I am not encouraging the double standard of women being whatever they want to be or whatnot. But after watching Fight Club, it got me thinking. What does it mean to be a man? I know many of us either had piss poor examples of fathers, ones that never had a good example, or didn't have fathers during formative years, or at all. So it makes it real hard for this generation to understand what it means to be a man. So let me ask you this: in your opinion, what does it mean to be a man?
I suppose we'll have to get out of the generational habit of defining manhood (Real Manâ„¢) in terms that reflect being a utility for family or tool for society. For me, it's a whole lot of self-reliance.
As Stardusk puts it, males have traditionally been human "doings" rather than human beings.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything

Return to “Deep Philosophical Discussions”