The Cultural Cataclysm

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Eric
Experienced Poster

The Cultural Cataclysm

Post by Eric »

I walked into a Catholic Church today, a really beautiful nice one with a fountain - the peace that you so often used to find in Christian churches, the old ones. I got a deep sense of peace while I was in there, then I attended service.
I came to the realization that we are in the middle of a huge cultural cataclysm. I put this cd into my cd player in my car - it was discussing how the Christianity overtook and came over pagan Greco Roman world, and they referred derogatively to those 'pagans' with 3 wives, a concubine, and mistresses, and a boy on the side - if you wanted it. I feel difficulty, because I can see honestly - in my human core - the value of both have to offer. That is the truth. It's a very difficult truth to reconcile, but it is the truth, nonetheless, I believe. Many feel this way.

I really feel affinity and peace to how I was raised, but I realize we are in the middle of a HUGE cultural upheaval. I'm not ignorant. Only the wise will survive - you have to use your wits. If you did what I did, and got so confused you gave into the pop. culture looking for direction, you will be just a tool being used - thrown this way and that. The smart understand this.
I also learned that these people don't want things to suck as they are now: The women being "feminized" and all these cultural wrenches thrown into things...its very painful. The only reason for this is to disrupt Christian society, that's it.
I try to be a very realistic person. I admit I feel the draw toward this Pluralism. It sounds fun to have 3 wives, a mistress, concubines..worship many gods, etc.even a boy on the side -if you want it. I'm a realist. I understand and acknowledge these necessary realities.
Until we transition to that point, being caught in the middle is an extremely painful place to be - and where we find ourselves. It occurred to me that hanging on to our culture until the other one is firmly in place - is the wisest thing to do. It's wise. And then, if you want to jump, then do it. If you want to hang onto your traditions. then you can do it also. I just have this intuition.
It's a time to use wits/wisdom and it's not an easy time.

Limits of Human Wisdom
15. "I have seen everything during my lifetime of futility; there is a righteous man who perishes in his righteousness and there is a wicked man who prolongs his life in his wickedness. 16Do not be excessively righteous and do not be overly wise. Why should you ruin yourself? 17Do not be excessively wicked and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time?… "
I feel like this wisdom can help a lot of people on this forum. I've seen a lot of posts about not being able to handle it. A lot of us were only raised with the wisdom of our parents, which was confined to rote things.

I'd like to hang on to the Christian background for as long as I can. It's what I'm used to. It's our culture and it's how many of us were raised. There is much comfort and familiarity and peace.
The truth is that we are in a difficult time. I hope this helps some people here. We can have a discussion on this, here. It's good to talk.

Peace,
Eric
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.