The Decline Of America Since The 1950s

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Decline Of America Since The 1950s

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am
This hasn't been talked about much. But did you all know that before feminism in the 60's, American families were already breaking apart in the 1950's. Do you know why? Because in the 1950's the concept of the rebellious teenager got invented in American culture. Suddenly the youth of America were told that they had to go through this rebellious stage that was natural to teenage life where they rebelled against their parents and authority. That's why movies like "Rebel Without A Cause" starring James Dean suddenly came out of nowhere.

Did you know that before the 1950's there was no teenage subculture that tried to separate teens from children and adults? That was socially engineered in the 50's. Before that, teens were just kids who became adults when they had responsibilities. They didn't have to go through this "rebellious stage" where they defy their parents and their society as a "stage" they have to go through. We all assume that rebellious teens are natural and normal, and part of the growing up process, but they are not. God and nature never made teens that way, American culture did. This was very interesting when I heard about it, and makes sense. I didn't know about it before. Too bad it's not talked about much.
In Indonesia, there does not seem to be an idea that teens have to go through a rebellious stage. I think they do go through stages as they grow up, but they can do that without being rebellious.

Two of my children are. Neither one of them are defiant toward their parents. The younger one is 13, and she saw a little kid say, "no' to his mother, and it kind of shocked her. How could a kid do such a thing?

That's one thing we did not tolerate even when my children were toddlers, either me or my wife. 'No' was not an acceptable answer if we told them to do something.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Decline Of America Since The 1950s

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am
This hasn't been talked about much. But did you all know that before feminism in the 60's, American families were already breaking apart in the 1950's. Do you know why? Because in the 1950's the concept of the rebellious teenager got invented in American culture. Suddenly the youth of America were told that they had to go through this rebellious stage that was natural to teenage life where they rebelled against their parents and authority. That's why movies like "Rebel Without A Cause" starring James Dean suddenly came out of nowhere.

Did you know that before the 1950's there was no teenage subculture that tried to separate teens from children and adults? That was socially engineered in the 50's. Before that, teens were just kids who became adults when they had responsibilities. They didn't have to go through this "rebellious stage" where they defy their parents and their society as a "stage" they have to go through. We all assume that rebellious teens are natural and normal, and part of the growing up process, but they are not. God and nature never made teens that way, American culture did. This was very interesting when I heard about it, and makes sense. I didn't know about it before. Too bad it's not talked about much.
In Indonesia, there does not seem to be an idea that teens have to go through a rebellious stage. I think they do go through stages as they grow up, but they can do that without being rebellious.

Two of my children are. Neither one of them are defiant toward their parents. The younger one is 13, and she saw a little kid say, "no' to his mother, and it kind of shocked her. How could a kid do such a thing?

That's one thing we did not tolerate even when my children were toddlers, either me or my wife. 'No' was not an acceptable answer if we told them to do something.