Wise and Witty Quotes

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
andrewsmith082
Freshman Poster

Post by andrewsmith082 »

Oscar Wilde was one of the greatest writers of his generation. I found many Oscar Wilde quote while Googling that inspires me.

oscar wilde quotes   
Heart of Shadows
Freshman Poster

Post by Heart of Shadows »

“The idealist is incorrigible: if he is thrown out of his heaven he makes an ideal of his hell.�
Friedrich Nietzsche

“An idealist is one who helps the other fellow to make a profit�
Henry Ford

“An idealist is a person who helps other people to be prosperous�
Henry Ford

“Idealist: a cynic in the making.�
Irving Layton

"Misanthropes have some admirable if paradoxical virtues. It is no exaggeration to say that we are among the nicest people you are likely to meet. Because good manners build sturdy walls, our distaste for intimacy makes us exceedingly cordial "ships that pass in the night." As long as you remain a stranger we will be your friend forever."
Florence King

"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
Anonymous

"I am considered a misanthropist now and then, because I do not socialize with many people. But it's only my mind that avoids you, my heart is still with you, and seeks the distance so that it can keep on loving you."
Franz Grillparzer

"It is a sign of creeping inner death when we can no longer praise the living."
Eric Hoffer

"If human beings were shown what they're really like, they'd either kill one another as vermin, or hang themselves."
Aldous Huxley

"Nothing is more narrow-minded than chauvinism or race hatred. To me all men are equal: there are jackasses everywhere, and I have the same contempt for all. No petty prejudices!"
Karl Kraus

“When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.�
Anonymous

When we have ceased to love the stench of the human animal, either in others or in ourselves, then are we condemned to misery, and clear thinking can begin.
Cyril Connolly

Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope.
Irving Layton

"I'll show you, when the chips are down these civilized people, will eat each other."
The Joker in "Dark Knight"

"the world will look up and shout save us, and I'll whisper no"
Rorschach "watchmen"
Eric Hoffer

"If human beings were shown what they're really like, they'd either kill one another as vermin, or hang themselves."
Aldous Huxley
Heart of Shadows
Freshman Poster

Post by Heart of Shadows »

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."
Henry Kissinger

“Education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart ... you can do well. If you don't, YOU GET STUCK IN IRAQ.�
— Senator John Kerry
Eric Hoffer

Aldous Huxley
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a list of inspirational quotes from Darryl Sloan's blog.

http://darrylsloan.wordpress.com/inspiration/

Inspirational quotes:

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.�
— Friedrich Nietzsche

“One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways.�
— Bertrand Russell

“I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself.�
— Rita Mae Brown

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.�
— Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.�
— Jiddu Krishnamurti

“If you don’t take responsibility for programming yourself, then someone else will.�
— Paul McKenna, The Hypnotic World of Paul McKenna

“Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.�
— Bertrand Russell

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.�
— Mark Twain

“Science of today – the superstition of tomorrow. Science of tomorrow – the superstition of today.�
— Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.�
— Arthur C. Clarke, Profiles of the Future

“Magic is never totally scientifically explainable, but science has always been, at one time or another, considered magic.�
— Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

“Those who throw out these results will not be scientists, but merely another set of dogmatists — of whom new crops are continually springing up, wearing new disguises and new labels. The plain truth is that in science, as in politics and religion, it is a lot easier to believe what you have been taught, than to set out for yourself and ascertain what happens.�
— Upton Sinclair, Mental Radio

“The more we look into what we think we know, the more hitherto undetected things we shall find lurking in our assumptions.�
— H.G. Wells, The New World Order

“As soon as you look at the world through an ideology, you are finished. No reality fits an ideology. Life is beyond that … That is why people are always searching for meaning to life … Meaning is only found when you go beyond meaning. Life only makes sense when you perceive it as mystery and it makes no sense to the conceptualizing mind.�
— Anthony de Mello

“There comes a point when you either embrace who and what you are, or condemn yourself to be miserable all yours days. Other people will try to make you miserable; don’t help them by doing the job yourself.�
— Laurell K. Hamilton

“Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is.�
— Albert Camus

“There is a beast in man that needs to be exercised, not exorcised.�
— Anton Szandor LaVey

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.�
— Edmund Burke

“Enlightenment is absolute cooperation with the inevitable.�
— Anthony de Mello
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Winston wrote:Here is a list of inspirational quotes from Darryl Sloan's blog.

— Friedrich Nietzsche
— Bertrand Russell
— Jiddu Krishnamurti
— Paul McKenna
— Anton Szandor LaVey
— H.G. Wells
Sure are a lot of shills/frauds/Lucifer worshippers up there. And this is who you get your opinions on Christianity from? You crack me up Winston :lol:

There's a difference between inspirational and cynical. These men were fed up with the stupidity of man and concluded mankind deserved to be enslaved. Of course their conclusions were hopelessly biased, due to their sheltered upbringing. When you're at the limit of your mental capabilities there's a thin line between being completely truthful and totally deceiving yourself (and others).
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Odbo, those pics are funny. XD

Hey Winston, if "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.", then what am I? I don't do any of those. I must be a God mind, because I just make things work. :D lol

I hate looking at quotes like these. Those from either old zionist faggots, or people who talk too damn much. But then again, I love non-human/intelligent quotes like "Talking is for the stupid."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

odbo wrote:
Winston wrote:Here is a list of inspirational quotes from Darryl Sloan's blog.

— Friedrich Nietzsche
— Bertrand Russell
— Jiddu Krishnamurti
— Paul McKenna
— Anton Szandor LaVey
— H.G. Wells
Sure are a lot of shills/frauds/Lucifer worshippers up there. And this is who you get your opinions on Christianity from? You crack me up Winston :lol:

There's a difference between inspirational and cynical. These men were fed up with the stupidity of man and concluded mankind deserved to be enslaved. Of course their conclusions were hopelessly biased, due to their sheltered upbringing. When you're at the limit of your mental capabilities there's a thin line between being completely truthful and totally deceiving yourself (and others).
No I knew that stuff about Christianity long ago. Why are they shills? That's a baseless accusation again. I thought you'd love those quotes, since they agree with what you and I say.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

"Little souls wish you to be unhappy. It aggravates them to have you joyous, efficient and free. They like to feel that fate is disciplining you.
It gives their egos wings if yours are clipped. You can ruin your life in an hour by listening to their puerile opinions."
— David Seabury

"A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday."
— Alexander Pope

The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Dogs and Bricks

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Throw a brick into a pack of dogs... The one that hollers is the one that got hit.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
davewe
Experienced Poster

A few of my favorites

Post by davewe »

"Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot." Groucho Marx

Groucho: (interviewing a woman with 20 children) Why do you have so many children? It must be a terrible responsibility and a burden.
Mrs. Story: Well, because I love my children and I love my husband.
Groucho: Well I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.

"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."
Groucho Marx

"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." Woody Allen

"If my film makes one more person miserable, I've done my job." Woody Allen

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
Dorothy Parker when asked to use the word "horticulture" during a game of Can-You-Give-Me-A-Sentence.

"Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's." Billy Wilder

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Orson Welles (as Harry Lime)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
- Marianne Williamson

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

"Authority is not truth. Truth is the authority."
- Mark Passio

"They must find it difficult...those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority."
- Gerald Massey

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:"Little souls wish you to be unhappy. It aggravates them to have you joyous, efficient and free. They like to feel that fate is disciplining you.
It gives their egos wings if yours are clipped. You can ruin your life in an hour by listening to their puerile opinions."
— David Seabury
Nice. Classic.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: A few of my favorites

Post by Jester »

davewe wrote:"Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot." Groucho Marx

Groucho: (interviewing a woman with 20 children) Why do you have so many children? It must be a terrible responsibility and a burden.
Mrs. Story: Well, because I love my children and I love my husband.
Groucho: Well I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.

"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."
Groucho Marx

"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." Woody Allen

"If my film makes one more person miserable, I've done my job." Woody Allen

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
Dorothy Parker when asked to use the word "horticulture" during a game of Can-You-Give-Me-A-Sentence.

"Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's." Billy Wilder

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Orson Welles (as Harry Lime)
The "Third Man" is my favorite movie. Harry Lime is the quintessential charming villain - scarily real for those of us who know a little about the Illuminati, or who have come close to warm, brilliant engaging people who have a cold streak in their souls.

But even more than Orson Welles' performance, and the soundtrack, I love the lighting in the movie. Some of the most exquisite camera shots of all time. Davewe's avatar, for you young guys, is of course Harry Lime.