Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Alan Watts - Great Eastern Wisdom Talks (Zen, Buddhism, Taoism)

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Alan Watts - Great Eastern Wisdom Talks (Zen, Buddhism, Taoism)

Post by Winston » July 24th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Brief bio of Alan Watts:

Alan Wilson Watts (6 January 1915 – 16 November 1973) was a British-born philosopher, writer, and speaker, best known as an interpreter and populariser of Eastern philosophy for a Western audience. Born in Chislehurst, England, he moved to the United States in 1938 and began Zen training in New York. Pursuing a career, he attended Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, where he received a master's degree in theology. Watts became an Episcopal priest in 1945, then left the ministry in 1950 and moved to California, where he joined the faculty of the American Academy of Asian Studies.

Watts gained a large following in the San Francisco Bay Area while working as a volunteer programmer at KPFA, a Pacifica Radio station in Berkeley. Watts wrote more than 25 books and articles on subjects important to Eastern and Western religion, introducing the then-burgeoning youth culture to The Way of Zen (1957), one of the first bestselling books on Buddhism. In Psychotherapy East and West (1961), Watts proposed that Buddhism could be thought of as a form of psychotherapy and not a religion. He also explored human consciousness, in the essay "The New Alchemy" (1958), and in the book The Joyous Cosmology (1962).

Towards the end of his life, he divided his time between a houseboat in Sausalito and a cabin on Mount Tamalpais. His legacy has been kept alive by his son, Mark Watts, and many of his recorded talks and lectures are available on the Internet. According to the critic Erik Davis, his "writings and recorded talks still shimmer with a profound and galvanizing lucidity."
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston » August 20th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Great lectures by Alan Watts about why self-improvement is a myth and illusion.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston » October 27th, 2018, 9:41 pm

You can download collections of full audio lectures by Alan Watts at this website dedicated to him. It costs money though.

http://www.alanwatts.com/

If you want it for free, you can go on YouTube or torrent sites to download them too.

Here's a great lecture by him with a moving beach background, perfect for deep contemplation. lol. It's very funny and witty, and exposes the many ironies of the follies of American society, culture and lifestyle.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston » October 27th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Alan Watts explains in this lecture how societies like America and Taiwan destroy life and its essence by trying to control everything and making everything safe and risk free so as to remove the uncertainty and risk from life, which is not the way the universe intended life to be. That's very true and what I've observed as well, which is why the safest countries tend to be the most lifeless and zombie-like where you cannot grow or develop, so your spiritual and personal growth is stinted. Very true.

woodwater
Freshman Poster

Post by woodwater » October 28th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Taiwan is risk averse but US isn`t.Read Hofstede.What the US is is short term oriented

woodwater
Freshman Poster

Post by woodwater » October 28th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Taiwan is risk averse but US isn`t.Read Hofstede.What the US is is short term oriented

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston » October 29th, 2018, 5:42 am

woodwater wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 4:12 pm
Not when it comes to safety. Americans are paranoid of being sued by lawyers so they make sure everything is super safe. Just go to the airport and see. Nothing is left to chance. Everything is screened and over screened. Airport security in the US is super uptight and rules are super uptight too. Americans want freedom but they want laws passed to prevent abuse of freedom and to make sure everything is super safe. Their vibe is very paranoid too. Thats why u sense that super paranoid vibe in America. Its stifling. I hate it.

woodwater
Freshman Poster

Post by woodwater » October 29th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Winston wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 5:42 am
woodwater wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 4:12 pm
Not when it comes to safety. Americans are paranoid of being sued by lawyers so they make sure everything is super safe. Just go to the airport and see. Nothing is left to chance. Everything is screened and over screened. Airport security in the US is super uptight and rules are super uptight too. Americans want freedom but they want laws passed to prevent abuse of freedom and to make sure everything is super safe. Their vibe is very paranoid too. Thats why u sense that super paranoid vibe in America. Its stifling. I hate it.
yeh i noticed that abroad too,i was walking in a lonely beach in byron bay,australia and a yankee lass who was ahead of me started to acuse me of stalking her. You dont want to be close to these folks