Darryl Sloan vs. Winston Wu Video Debates about Various Stuff

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Winston
Site Admin

Darryl Sloan vs. Winston Wu Video Debates about Various Stuff

Post by Winston »

Darryl Sloan is an Irish philosopher and deep thinker, one of the most aware personas on YouTube. His deep thought and critical thinking videos are very stimulating and thought provoking. And his tone is very sincere and genuine too. So he is very much worth listening to. Here are some videos of his deep philosophical talks and rants.

Adversity in nature vs. oneness

Description:

The entire natural world operates on a principle we might call "adversarial," in that one thing requires energy from another thing in order to survive. How does this fit with the spiritual understanding that behind the universe everything is one? Should we learn to transcend our natural egos in favour of loving everyone and everything, or is there perhaps nothing wrong with us just as we are?

Here is a deep dissertation by Darryl Sloan about "oneness".

More on his YouTube channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/darrylsloan

Download his free ebook "I, Universe" at:

http://www.darrylsloan.com

Last edited by Winston on April 30th, 2014, 9:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

He is making the familiar argument that you need an ego to survive in an “adversarial� world and “egolessness� implies pacifism. But, this is not really true. The man without ego can accomplish the same things as the man with ego, but will do it absent the emotions of greed and anger and his actions will be more effective and he will make less mistakes without seeing the world through the distorting lens of ego. I believe the Dalai Lama has spoken on this subject, and to the surprise of many who have adopted the above commentator's assumptions, he doesn’t advocate total pacifism.

And as for the energy flow, it is true that one animal “takes� energy from another (by eating). But humans have the ability to cooperatively exchange energy by consent and end up with more energy together, then those who decide to “take� it.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

How the world works is, when a competitive society bumps into a non-competitive one, the non-competitive one gets steamrolled.

The ancient Chinese philosophy Mohism was mostly pacifist -- they advocated "universal love" and "oneness". But at the same time, they were realistic enough to recognize that a nation-state swims in shark infested waters. Thus, part of their statecraft included strong elements/sciences of fortification and war. The Mo Jing text contained studies about the relation of force, acceleration, and mass dealing with weight and suspension. They built the world's first traction-trebuchets (catapult) in 5th BC, rotating siege crossbows, burning chemical weapons, and many other weapon systems to kindly remind their enemies that they can catapult a flaming fireball into your camp's tent, should you come looking for trouble. Watch the movie "A battle of wits" (2006) with Andy Lau for example.

Mohists were pretty pragmatic, and knew the difference between ideals and wishful thinking versus reality. Part of their teachings have been translated to English, you can read it here: http://ctext.org/mozi

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

catameran wrote:He is making the familiar argument that you need an ego to survive in an “adversarial� world and “egolessness� implies pacifism. But, this is not really true. The man without ego can accomplish the same things as the man with ego, but will do it absent the emotions of greed and anger and his actions will be more effective and he will make less mistakes without seeing the world through the distorting lens of ego. I believe the Dalai Lama has spoken on this subject, and to the surprise of many who have adopted the above commentator's assumptions, he doesn’t advocate total pacifism.

And as for the energy flow, it is true that one animal “takes� energy from another (by eating). But humans have the ability to cooperatively exchange energy by consent and end up with more energy together, then those who decide to “take� it.
Well doesn't it depend on the kind of people you are around? Many are not cooperative but brutal and ruthless. You can't be nice to them. And some are aggressive and bullying too. So I guess it depends on their level of evolution.

Besides, whenever we eat vegetables or animals, we are consuming energy from other beings that had life force, aren't we? So in that sense, aren't we all vampires by necessity?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I once had a roommate who was a Mennonite, and asked him a lot of questions about their pacifist beliefs. He said that he wouldn’t use violence to defend himself even from a deadly attack. Some may consider this impractical, but one can also see it as a valid point of view. Pacifists are just as pragmatic as anyone else in that they understand the world is full of brutal, violent people, but they make an intentional stand that they aren’t going to play the game, and are willing to sacrifice their lives for their principals. However pacifism doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with one’s state of ego; a pacifist can have a big ego, whereas a Zen Warrior could be egoless.

And when we die, our bodies decompose and the plants eat us.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here in his review of a book by Alan Watts, Darryl Sloan explains how Watts harmonizes the contradiction between the conflicts/adversity in nature with the concept of "we are all one" or "universal oneness and monism". The quote by Watts is intriguing.

http://darrylslibrary.wordpress.com/201 ... lan-watts/

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts

MAY 10
Posted by Darryl

I’m frequently disappointed by what passes for spirituality, from a non-dualist perspective. Quite often, there is a crafty repackaging of salvation woven into an author’s sales pitch, or there is a totally unrealistic descent into a spiritual pipedream of “universal love.�

Alan Watts, happily, manages to be both a non-dualist and a down-to-earth realist. In recent years, one of the most interesting dilemmas I went through was the clash between non-dualism (which says that everything is one) and LaVeyan Satanism (which grasps that the universe is adversarial). I rate both of these observations as true, but the latter one is often missed. Watts gets it. He describes existence within the universe as “a harmony of contained conflicts,� understanding that it cannot be any other way, by virtue of the dualistic predicament of all life.

This was a fabulous read. It began with a suggestion of how non-dualism can be explained to young children, as a better alternative to the “God made the universe� stereotype. Watts goes on to tackle non-dualism from a vector that had never even occurred to me: our inability to separate the human organism from the environment around it. We naturally think of the self as a human body – a distinct unit isolated from what is around it. But the air that is breathed into the body from the environment and the carbon dioxide that is breathed out are just as essential to the body as the blood that circulates within. The body cannot be isolated from its environment, nor can the immediate environment be isolated from the planet, the planet from the solar system, and so on. The division of self into body and environment is arbitrary – merely an act of labelling. There is no “you� independent of everything else – only an organism within a super-organism, i.e. the universe itself.

Many times in the book, Watts made observations that were profound, simple, and obviously true, yet so easily missed until pointed out. Chief among them was our conditioned way of thinking, “I came into this world,� when it is far more accurate to say “I came out of the universe.� A person is like the eyes of the universe, which is gazing at itself. Watts has a way of describing life on earth that makes the materialism of atheists seem absurd. Atheists commonly think of the universe as something unconscious. But since man came out of (not into) the universe, and man is conscious, does this not mean that the universe must be conscious?
The balance of nature, the “harmony of contained conflicts,� in which man thrives is a network of mutually interdependent organisms of the most astounding subtlety and complexity. Teilhard de Chardin has called it the “biosphere,� the film of living organisms which covers the original “geosphere,� the mineral planet. Lack of knowledge about the evolution of the organic from the “inorganic,� coupled with misleading myths about life coming “into� this world from somewhere “outside,� has made it difficult for us to see that the biosphere arises, or goes with, a certain degree of geological and astronomical evolution. But, as Douglas E. Harding has pointed out, we tend to think of this planet as a life-infested rock, which is as absurd as thinking of the human body as a cell-infested skeleton. Surely all forms of life, including man, must be understood as “symptoms� of the earth, the solar system, and the galaxy – in which case we cannot escape the conclusion that the galaxy is intelligent.
Watts is well versed in Eastern philosophy (Hinduism and Buddhism), and his writing serves as a useful bridge between very different cultures, helping us in the West to appreciate a wider metaphysical perspective outside of the cramped confines of Western materialism.

After reading this book, I want to get hold of everything that Watts has written.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Darryl has a new updated version of his free ebook "I, Universe". Download it at:

http://www.darrylsloan.com

Here is his announcement about it:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some new recent deep thought videos by Darryl Sloan.

What is spiritual awakening?

Why universal love fails

I've never met an atheist in intensive care

Is belief a choice?

Can you change your sexual orientation?

The origin and fate of the universe

How do you tell your parents that you're not a Christian anymore?

Overcoming confusion about life

Non-duality: Insights and pitfalls of 4 years

What is authentic Christianity?

Do we have souls?

If I were Satan...

Are experiences meaningless?

How and why psychokinesis works

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Deep Philosophical Rants by Darryl Sloan - Must Hear!

Post by Winston »

An excerpt from Darryl Sloan's book "I, Universe" about what he thinks of Christians who try to use fear to get people to believe. Very good analysis.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didnOXpaMqg[/youtube]

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Darryl Sloan - Deep Philosophical Rant Videos

Post by Winston »

Darryl Sloan talks here about whether we have a soul or not. His answer is not a simple yes or no, it's something more complicated than that. If you are interested, listen to his talks below and concentrate, because it's deep.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc8170z3LNA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jROCoJMsq3s[/youtube]

Here Darryl Sloan addresses the interesting question "Where is the self when you're unconscious?"

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsDgqUKuxIA[/youtube]

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My response to the Irish philosopher Darryl Sloan on various issues in his videos such as Christianity, Afterlife, NDE's, Spiritual Awakenings, Enlightenment, Eckhart Tolle, Answered Prayers, Satan, Demonic Possession, The Illuminati, NWO, Conspiracies, etc. that he jumps to conclusions about without properly researching. I feel that he is missing and ignoring large amounts of data that are contrary to his conclusions, so I elaborate on many of them in this video. I also feel that he draws conclusions too fast on various issues without examining all the evidence and arguments on both sides. A truth seeker or good researcher should not do that of course, so I am wondering why he does it. I hope Darryl will respond to my points and give logical reasons for focusing only on one small piece of the pie and ignoring the rest of the pie, thus failing to see the big picture. Sloan appears to be very genuine and intelligent, so I am surprised that he would do that. I can only surmise that if he doesn't want to believe in something, he ignores it and dismisses it due to confirmation bias, and doesn't really look at evidence and documentation that he can't explain.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HKPPbOgnfs[/youtube]

starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Your video has more depth
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

starchild5 wrote:Your video has more depth
Was my video rant clear and easy to follow? Especially for an hour? I'm not a natural orator and I don't have natural charisma on camera. I'm a better writer than speaker usually.

starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Winston wrote:
starchild5 wrote:Your video has more depth
Was my video rant clear and easy to follow? Especially for an hour? I'm not a natural orator and I don't have natural charisma on camera. I'm a better writer than speaker usually.
People loose concentration by 7 minutes mark...Yes..It was long...better, if you could break the videos on topic..like 7 minutes for Christianity...I understand 7 minutes is not long enough to discuss deep subjects but JewTube is mere entertainment first and facts second.

Its the information that is valuable than presentation but as we know, we have long crossed that bridge, people can be easily brainwashed by anything...

Your message would get into larger audience....if you could have a white girl around...a white girl interviewing you would get high view counts i believe
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yeah but look at Stefan Molyneux. He has videos that are 2 hours long and he rants on and on, with lots of banter, before getting to the point. Western white guys like to do that, especially if they think they are intellectuals. Molyneux has a lot of subscribers and a lot of popularity on YouTube. Yet he does his videos alone without any white girls. Can't I just have some Filipina interviewing me too? lol