Poll: What colors should the forum theme be?

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Should we keep the light blue background in forum posts?

Yes. Keep it the way it is. I like the light blue background. It's very nice.
42%
No. It's too blue and bright. Change it back to the dirty white/light grayish color of the old forum theme.
50%
No. It's too blue and bright. Change it to a pure white background.
No votes
It's too blue and bright. But I want another color different from the above choices. Note: If you vote this option, then please specify the background color you prefer by posting it in this thread.
8%

Total votes: 12
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: What should be the background color in forum posts

Post by Winston »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:white or light gray background instead of blue its hard on the eyes
Well that's what I've done. I've used the light gray color from the old forum and put it into the background posts of this forum. I used the exact html color code. How do you like it now?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I've changed the font of the forum posts to sans-serif. Now the text looks smoother and neater. How do you all like it? The default one looked funky and uneven.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just increased the font size of the text a little bit, so it's easier to read. Hope it doesn't look too big for those of you who have big screen computers or laptops.

newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Winston wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:white or light gray background instead of blue its hard on the eyes
Well that's what I've done. I've used the light gray color from the old forum and put it into the background posts of this forum. I used the exact html color code. How do you like it now?
yeah i noticed it became easier to read.

I think the boxes around the profiles and stuff though should be a different color everything is bright on the page one color. Maybe make them a darker blue or something. I have a forum where the borders of the profile are a darker shade for that box.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Thanks for the offer, but I have windows set up to override color themes on websites. I have a black backround for everything with green text. I use the computer a lot and this is a lot easier on the eyes than staring into a light bulb all day. I wish they had screens like kindles and Gameboys for computer users. If you changed the color on my profile, my computer just overrides that.

It would be nice to be able to see the reply button. The old forum allowed that to happen even when windows is set on 'high contrast black.'

I don't care anything about seeing ads, btw. but they do show up.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

The backgrounds OK but the smilies are shit. :wink:
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: What colors should the forum theme and background be?

Post by Winston »

What do you all think of the default colors of this new upgraded forum? It's the default prosilver theme again. Do you think the blue is too bright? What about the light blue background? I think it's kind of bright for a forum. I mean, I love light blue and all....... for the sky that is, and for the water at a beach resort too, and it's wonderful for baby toys too, but for a forum??? Kind of odd don't you think? The default colors should be the most agreeable colors that is the least controversial. Baby blue is kind of bright for that don't you think? Usually default colors are softer and less bright, like dark blue or dark green, or even black and white. Not bright colors like this. lol. It's a pain to change colors on a forum theme, so the default theme ought to be the most agreeable to the most people. That would be the most logical.

However, the developers at phpbb.com are kind of out of touch with reality and with people and human nature. I talked to them a lot lately and they seem to lack common sense. You'd think that computer programmers and coders are intelligent and above average in IQ. But these guys seem a bit clueless and lacking in simple logic, common sense and understanding people in general. I wonder if they are even human sometimes. lol. It's like they are in their own world. lol

Anyway, what do you all think? Do you like these baby blue colors? Or do you prefer the soft dark blue with dirty white background we had before? Cast your vote above if you haven't already. :)

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

How can anyone say that the theme is too bright? It's a nice cool blue. Leave it as is. You can also adjust your monitor and dim if necessary.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
November 24th, 2017, 2:35 am
How can anyone say that the theme is too bright? It's a nice cool blue. Leave it as is. You can also adjust your monitor and dim if necessary.
You mean you were ok with the bright blue theme yesterday before i darkened it? The one with the baby blue header and border, and light blue background? Did you cast a vote? Most didnt like those colors.

Btw keep in mind this poll is for the bright blue background yesterday, not the dark blue one i set up today. So cast your vote accordingly. If you made a mistake you can revote and change your vote above.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I've changed the forum colors to the soft dark blue theme we had before. How does it look now? You guys like it? However, the background in posts is kind of too grayish. I couldn't figure out how to make it the dirty white color it was before. Do you guys mind the heavy gray color in the background?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: What colors should the forum theme be?

Post by Winston »

I think the ideal forum theme colors for the light theme should be like this one below. Soft dark blue or steel blue with pearl white. That's ideal and most universally acceptable and liked.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... 2/demo/3.2

I'm gonna try to get our default colors to that theme. We already have it in our mobile them too.

index.php?style=21

What do you guys think?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: What colors should the forum theme be?

Post by Winston »

Check this out guys. lol. The developers of our forum theme at phpbb.com often tend to lack real world common sense and basic logic, so I often have ot lecture them on common sense wisdom and basic logic. For instance, see below where I explain to them the reason why a default forum theme should contain the most universally agreed upon or tolerated colors, rather than bright glaring colors that annoy some people. You'd think this is common sense, but they often seem to lack it, so I gotta spell it all out to them. Why? Do programmers and software developers live in a different world or their own world where they lose touch with common sense reality? lol

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p15472166
david63 wrote:
November 23rd, 2017, 10:39 pm
It makes little or no difference what one person's preferences are there will always be somebody else with a different opinion which is why there are numerous styles that are either in the CDB, in development or available from an outside source.

Also I believe that a new style is in the process of being developed for a forthcoming version of phpBB and I can guarantee now that there will be some who will not like it and want it changing.
True. However, I think you miss my main point. Let me explain. Please think about this for a minute and you will see the basic logic and wisdom of what I'm saying, especially since it's applied in the real world in the corporate, public and government sectors too. Hence it's part of society and civilization and the established order of things.

Now it's true everyone has a different opinion regarding which colors are best. That's exactly WHY all successful major websites ALWAYS use the most universally agreed upon color scheme that everyone will most likely like. Such as dark blue, steel blue, soft colors and shades, etc that are easy on the eyes. NEVER bright or glaring colors. They have to do that because they are trying to appeal to millions of people, hence they gotta pick the most universally liked and accepted colors that are guaranteed to not annoy anyone. This is common sense marketing strategy.

Look at any successful major website, such as Amazon, Ebay, PayPal, Bluehost, etc and you will see that they always use soft colors that are easy on the eyes, never the bright blue color that the header of Prosilver uses. Even this phpbb support forum uses a gray scheme called Prosilver Special Edition that uses gray tones and colors that are very soft and easy on the eyes, never too bright. There's a reason why this support forum doesn't use the bright blue of default Prosilver. Think about it. Even government websites use soft colors, never bright ones. So this applies to the public sector, private sector, corporate world and government too. It's simply part of the established order of civilization and society.

Check PayPal and Bluehost for instance:

http://www.bluehost.com
http://www.paypal.com

Notice that they use soft dark colors or pastel colors. Never strong blue or bright blue. Because they do not want to annoy any users so they pick the mostly universally accepted colors that everyone likes or can tolerate. That's what you do when you are trying to appeal to millions of people with differing opinions and tastes. You pick the least controversial colors that everyone can agree on.

Consider this: When you get into an elevator in an office or skyscraper, or you go into a shopping mall, you also hear easy listening instrumental music or ambient music, because that is the most universally pleasant and agreeable music that appeals to people of all ages and types, or at least is tolerable to everyone. You don't hear hard rock, rap or heavy metal in a public building designed for everyone, because extreme music turns off a lot of people. So you pick the most widely tolerable music to play in public places. It's been that way for ages. Same with public forums.

Furthermore, the main competitors of phpbb, such as vbulletin or mybb, also do not use bright blue colors in their default theme. That should tell you something too.

Do you see what I mean? If you think about it, you will understand the basic wisdom and logic of this. It's how things work in the real world too. It's also part of social tact and of being considerate to others too.

Do you get my point now? The developers should definitely think about this and consider all my points above, or bring it up at the next discussion room table or board meeting, whether online or offline, and consider changing the bright blue default Prosilver theme.