Winston's Russia Photojournals: Shutdown and Migration

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Winston's Russia Photojournals: Shutdown and Migration

Post by Winston »

Hi all,

AOL Pictures has announced that it will shut down on December 31, 2008. Unfortunately, my Photojournals is hosted through them, so they may be gone by then.

So, until then, I am making them FREE to view, all nine of them, so that you can enjoy them before they're gone. So if you haven't seen them yet or haven't seen all of them, now's your chance before they are gone at the end of the year. The link again is:

http://www.happierabroad.com/Photojournals.htm

I will try to see if I can move them to another web service. AOL has allowed us to transfer the photos to a partner service, but when I did that, they were all out of order and contained no captions.

So I do not know whether I can move them to another service properly. It's even possible that the Photojournals will still work after AOL Pictures shuts down, since they were done in an old format that AOL hasn't supported in years. So it may be that you can't create albums, but you can still view the old ones. I don't know.

Anyhow, there are hundreds of pictures of beautiful friendly girls I met in Russia and Europe in those photojournals, so if you haven't seen them yet, you are missing out big time, I can promise you that. So have a look when you get the chance.

Regards,
Winston

PS - Also check out the new home page layout at http://www.happierabroad.com. I've tried to make it look more catchy and compact, with each section leading up to the other, until the collages, photojournals and videos. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Last edited by Winston on August 26th, 2013, 6:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi everyone,
By the way, some of you emailed me asking how to access the Photojournals. It's simple, when you click on one of the 9 Photojournal links, you get to a welcome page with a login. Above the login you will see a light blue button that says "View Album as Guest". Click on that one and the album will load up.

Remember to open them in Firefox though, not Internet Explorer, as they will load up way better in Firefox.

I would view them in chronological order. I should also note that my 2nd trip to Russia 2003 is in my opinion the best one. There were more life learning experiences during that trip, as well as this energy and excitement that was lacking in the third trip. But the third trip journals, all 7 of them, are still a great visual display and very interesting. But as far as memorability, meaning and nostalgia goes, I'd say the second trip was the best one, at least for me it was. It had a certain life altering impact that the other trips didn't share as much. The first trip was like that too, but just on a smaller and shorter scale. But the third trip was like beating a dead horse, and at that point the best was behind me. I was just wandering around pointlessly without accomplishing anything, even though it had dramatic and dangerous events such as the muggings.

So, drama followed me everywhere in Russia, on all three trips. But the second was the most memorable, possibly because Julia and Katya were involved the most in it. I guess that means that without them, the trips got less interesting.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Great news! The photojournals are still up, even though AOL Pictures is supposed to have shut down by now. Maybe they are giving us a grace extension period, I don't know, it's not mentioned on their site.

Anyhow, you can still view the Russia Photojournal slide shows at this point. And they will remain free to view.

Remember, when you click on the album links, on the next screen select "View Album and Guest" and the album will load. The only thing that's different I noticed is that when the album loads up, parts of it don't fully load for some reason. But if you keep reloading the page or pushing Control R, the whole album eventually does load, I found. So just do that if that happens. Here's the link again:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
The Russia Trilogy Photojournals stopped working a while ago because AOL Pictures finally shut down for good a few months after the end of 2008. But before that occurred, they were transferred to another service called PhotoWorks, which now hosts them. Thus, I have updated the links of each album below to the new host. The only thing is, the slides and captions were not transferred in the chronological order I had them in, so when you view them, they will be out of order and mixed up. I wish I had the time to rearrange them, but it would take too many hours. So for now, just enjoy the great image show in their random order! :)

Likewise, the same thing happened to my Southwest USA photo albums. They too were migrated to PhotoWorks, and have been updated. I've also added a few more albums to it that weren't there before, of Arizona and Colorado. Here is the link:

http://www.happierabroad.com/Southwest_Photos.htm

Enjoy,
Winston

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update on my Russia Trip Photojournals:

AOL Pictures shut down in 2008, and with it, my Russia Photojournals, a major selling piece of this movement, was shut down as well, ruining many hours of work I put into it. (That's what you get for trusting and depending on AOL) Next time I ought to try to host my own content. But before it was shut down though, AOL migrated all the slides and captions in my Photojournals to Photoworks, another online photo service. I was able to access it there, but all the slides were out of order, and I had problems creating a link to share them. Since then, I haven't done anything about it since I didn't have time.

As of now though, Photoworks has been merged with another online photo service called Shutterfly. I had a look at my account on Shutterfly and sure enough, my Photojournal slides and captions are there, but out of order. Looking through its features, I do see a way to organize and share them, but it will take some time to do all that. So I will either use their platform to host my Photojournals, or find some other way to host them off my server.

For now though, I've put this announcement on the Photojournals page, and put links to my Russia trip photo albums on PicasaWeb that you can view in the meantime, until I get this mess sorted out. You can view those albums at the Photojournals link:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I've figured out how to use Shutterfly and am now using it to host my Russia Dating Adventure Photojournals. Check out my share site here:

http://russiadatingadventures.shutterfly.com

So far, I've uploaded the albums of the first two trips. I'll add more later.

Check out my mini-Collage on there too. lol

http://russiadatingadventures.shutterfly.com/collage

Hope you all like it.

Thanks,
Winston