Interesting in Coding but feeling "inferior"

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Interesting in Coding but feeling "inferior"

Post by Nomad »

I can code in HTML, CSS, Javascript, and alittle bit of Python.

I'm always searching for more information about and on coding, but I always get this sense of "inferority". Like people know way more about this stuff than I do, and I could never be a really good coder without atleast 5+ years of practice.

Does that feeling ever go away as a coder? Or is this just something you come to live with and expect?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gnosis
Freshman Poster

Re: Interesting in Coding but feeling "inferior"

Post by gnosis »

Dude, here's some solid life advice here:

You will get better as you learn more. & You're not stupid. So, yes, you're not going to be as good as people with 5 years of experience until you get 5 years of experience, but you are not generally inferior. Try to understand some theory and then work on projects. Over time, work on doing more and more complex projects. Try to have fun with it but keep pushing the envelope. You want your new project to be more difficult or challenging in some way than you're most recently-completed project.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Nomad wrote:I can code in HTML, CSS, Javascript, and alittle bit of Python.

I'm always searching for more information about and on coding, but I always get this sense of "inferority". Like people know way more about this stuff than I do, and I could never be a really good coder without atleast 5+ years of practice.

Does that feeling ever go away as a coder? Or is this just something you come to live with and expect?
Don't compare yourself to others, just let your work speak for you. Ignore the syntax-divas and dogmatic SOB's.
There's too many people that pose as "designers" because they know how to use the tools. Just enjoy being creative and have an open mind.

And no, you never stop learning, you get acquainted with one technology and x10 more come up!!
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

Thank you guys for the reply. I actually already have a gaming project i'm working on. I would show it off, but I would prefer to do so "when its ready".

Its really the only thing keeping me interested in coding right now. Although one guy with 9+ years of javascript experience told me I should of just build my game in the C++ language so I wouldn't have to fight the DOM. Not sure how true that holds.

Thanks for the positive feedback and advice. =)
William77
Freshman Poster

Post by William77 »

Don't worry about that. If u interested in coding so much - just go for it! I see, u have your own project now. Congratulations! I'll share u a link, here http://djangostars.com/blog/how-to-choo ... -overview/ u can take some advices about development. Good luck!
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

William77 wrote:Don't worry about that. If u interested in coding so much - just go for it! I see, u have your own project now. Congratulations! I'll share u a link, here http://djangostars.com/blog/how-to-choo ... -overview/ u can take some advices about development. Good luck!
Thanks William! Things are going off pretty good! I'm happy with my progress so far. My wife is taking coding lessons now at school so hopefully we can be 2 little nerds coding together. :D
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Coding is the only way out of misery...The real money is there...

Even in India, a good coder is paid over 50k USD but he saves a lot due to cost of living so his salary is equal to around 75k..

In Philippines the salary is 250k Pesos...per month for NodeJS developer,,,,,INSANE...same as silicon valley if you take cost of living and taxes...

It does not matter with experience...That's wrong attitude...Its the RIGHT SKILL SET THAT MATTERS...Your location also does not matter

I would go with JavaScript and its framework...

The machines are taking over ....we are feeding the beast and one day as Al bielek said, with enough power any computer can have a mind of its own...
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

Just a report in.

I now know HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, and PHP. Doing developing work for Drupal. Life is good! :)
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

starchild5 wrote:Coding is the only way out of misery...The real money is there...
For Indians. For Westerners, the real money is not there, because Indians are doing it. The way they are doing it sucks, but the executives who hired them will have received their bonuses and run with the money before the inevitable tech collapse due to their incompetence happens, so who cares? Well, the rest of us, I guess.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Nomad wrote:Just a report in.

I now know HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, and PHP. Doing developing work for Drupal. Life is good! :)
Are you actually being paid?
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

Yes I am ;)
oliverfischer
Freshman Poster

Post by oliverfischer »

Backend development usually plays an extremely important role in the whole process of the project building. But sometimes, the beginners, while being surprised with a variety of opportunities and languages, which may help you to achieve what you need, tend to make lots of really bad mistakes. Read more in Artjoker blog