Discuss smart phones and laptops here

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Re: Questions about laptops and cell phones

Post by Johnny1975 »

Winston wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:Thanks Winston. I just tried Recuva but when I saw the results, I couldn't make head or tail of it. I need to recover the video from my phone. Do either of those programs do that?
What did you see when you ran it? Did it show a list of files that are recoverable? Did you see a video extension on any of them? You can usually preview the recoverable files. The interface is easy to use. Did you read the help menu in the program? If Recuva doesn't work, try another one. If you haven't written any more data to the phone since you erased the video, the chances are very good that you can still recover the file. But video files are big so they may be a little more difficult to recover.
I saw a huge list of files. Some recoverable, others not. But it doesn't matter now, because I've made lots of videos since I deleted it, so it's probably gone. Besides, I can just do it again. It's not a problem.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Finally got a new laptop. Here in the US they are cheaper than in Asia. The US has better deals on electronic and computer products it seems for some reason.

I got mine from Walmart. It's an HP with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB hard drive space, for $299. Is that a good deal? What do you all think?

Is 4 GB RAM enough? I'm not a gamer. I do play a few games though like Star Trek games and flight simulator games and tennis games like Virtua Tennis. Those don't take up too much memory. I also run Super Nintendo emulators that play SNES games on PC, which use little memory too.

So is 4 GB RAM enough? The thing is, I usually have many browser tabs open and multiple applications too, which usually slowed down my other laptops. My previous netbook, which is a small mini laptop, only had 1 GB RAM, and was slow as molasses. So 4 GB should be a huge upgrade. haha.

Some told me 8 GB RAM would be better for games. But I'm not a gamer so I don't need that right? Plus those ones cost a lot more like 400 or 500 USD, unless you buy them refurbished. But if I can I prefer new to refurbished.

It also has an Intel Pentium processor that is Silver N5000. Is that ok? Are there any geeks here that have opinions on this stuff? :P

So far the new laptop is nice. Big screen and runs smoothly. Much faster than my other ones. And this forum looks great on it. :)

But these new ones all have Windows 10. And man, it has so many bells and whistles you don't need. It keeps trying to turn your laptop into a smart phone too, and keeps trying to connect and integrate everything with Microsoft. Geez. It's so pushy in that sense. It even tries to get you to use Microsoft Edge browser too, and claims it's better than Chrome and the rest. And makes it your default browser so that you have to go through steps to change it. Man Microsoft is so self serving. lol

Do any of you use Microsoft Edge browser? Have you tried it? Is it better in any way? Or is Google Chrome still the best?

Also, Windows 10 seems to be resource heavy. It makes the Windows startup take a long time to load. Geez. Why do they keep coming out with new Windows systems? Windows 7 was fine and stable and smooth and had all I need. Why do they keep making new ones? It's annoying.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

No 4GB ram is not enough. Get 8GB. Did you get a 17"? It's worth it because it's great for watching stuff. If you didn't you can take it back. Also make sure to get a 17" case.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This is the new laptop I got from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-bs234w ... /410372666

I also got an external mouse and keyboard too, so I can type longer essays and books comfortably.

Does anyone know if this laptop's RAM can be upgraded from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM in case I want to?

Also do any of you use a wireless keyboard or wireless mouse? What's the advantage of that? Isn't it a pain to keep having to replace batteries in that? I mean, how far away do you need to sit from the computer or monitor? Geez.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

It really depends. Why didn't you get it from Best Buy? They have a better selection. I would consider taking it back and getting a 17.3" screen with 8GB minimum ram.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Also I find with the 17.3" the keyboard is larger and you don't need the external keyboard. Yes, I use a wireless mouse and change the batteries every 2-3 weeks. There are also rechargeable wireless mice where you don't have to change the batteries.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

This is the one I recommend you get.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-330 ... Id=6224501

Why get 4GB and then go through the hassle and expense of upgrading to 8GB? Just get this one.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow Truthseeker, that one is nearly $500. That's more than I need. What's wrong with 4 GB RAM? The one I got seems to work fast and smooth so far. If I'm not a gamer, why would I ever need 8 GB RAM? I looked online and it looks like to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB would cost 80 dollars. Dang.

Also, my laptop screen is 15.6 inches, which is pretty big already. Good enough for watching movies. And it's fairly lightweight too.

Also Best Buy tends to be expensive and has the highest prices. I've been there many times before and they don't have good deals like Walmart does. lol

Man I didn't know you were such a computer geek. lol :P

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

You were saying it will cost $80 to upgrade the RAM so why not just take one of the ones I recommended? Plus you gotta understand a laptop is an investment. It will last roughly 5 years if you take care of it. So that's only 100 dollars a year. Peanuts. You gotta think of these things.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

If you are just browsing webpages, writing blogs, watching movies then 4GB is all you need but if you are running multiple programs at the same time you will see the difference the extra 4GB makes. I have a 17.3" screen and it's great for watching movies.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

I'm using a notebook with 32GB RAM. Sometimes it isn't enough.

Other than that, go with a Solid State Drive (SSD)
lasspery
Freshman Poster

Post by lasspery »

snede wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 3:14 pm

This is obviously not enough if you have a lot of work on your computer.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

snede wrote:

Not a good idea because they told me that an SSD has a limit of 250 GB storage space. So the size would be reduced by half. Thats lame. Why would you do that?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

snede wrote:

I bought the Dell laptop with 4 GB RAM and used it for a week in Angeles City. Seemed to work great. Was fast and smooth. Very little lag time. And yes i had multiple browsing tabs open and multiple applications too. Seemed to handle them just fine. But of course brand name is a factor too. So is CPU.