Smart Phones - Questions and Discussion

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Smart Phones - Questions and Discussion

Post by Winston »

Questions:

What's the difference between an IPhone and Android? Which is better? Which is cheaper? What are the pros and cons of each?

I don't keep up with technology and am in my own world, so I'm new to all this.

Also, what about a Blackberry? Is that the same thing?

And how do you type on those things? I tried typing on a touch screen keyboard before and it was tedious and took too long. How do people write emails on them? Can someone explain?

Can someone break all this down for me in terms of pros and cons? How does one decide which is better?

I heard that you can get last year's Android models for under $100. Is that true? If so, where? On Ebay?
Last edited by Winston on June 26th, 2012, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Apple is the standard due to it's steller engineering and ever-growing features like the iCloud, FaceTime, etc. It is also said to be very secure. Yet still, the number of apps is staggering and growing each day.

Andriod devices are somewhat cheaper but they don't have the number of apps.

I went halfway and bought an iPod Touch which is just like an iPhone without the phone feature. That iPod Touch has greatly enhanced my life, all without the monthly payment of 3G iPhone service which would give me internet connectivity via the cell phone system. iPods still need wifi service to access the internet which is fine by me.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Which Android brand do you all recommend? What about the Samsung Galaxy? It looks pretty nifty and Samsung usually has great quality graphics.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I've been an iPhone user since the first model (2G). Currently using an iPhone 4S. But at this point I'd say that, for you, the choice of iPhone vs. Android phone is not that important. If you're going to spend money, I'd suggest investing in an iPad and Macbook:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story ... 53344970/1

Apple has released the iBooks Author program:
http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/

If you want to make a living as an independent author, the prospect of 100 million potential customers with $$ to spend (iPads are not cheap) is not a market that I'd ignore.

Please note that iBooks Author requires Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 or higher. So if you're shopping for an used Macbook, make sure it's compatible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_L ... quirements

You don't need anything fancy, a base model white MacBook or even a Mac Mini will do.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I found some good Samsung smart phones at the mall for under $200. However, the sales lady wasn't sure if all of them could be used with Skype or not. How can you know?

I used Rock's IPhone with Skype on it the other day, and it was easy to use and call from. Wow, I thought. How neat. It makes calls free if both parties are on Skype. Wouldn't that put the cell phone carriers out of business?

Anyway, here are the ones I'm interested in. Below are links to their model numbers, reviews and specs. Can anyone tell me if Skype, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, QQ, Viber and What's app can be installed on them? If so, which ones?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ ... 2-4385.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ ... 0-3724.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_star_3_ ... 2-4447.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ ... 0-3725.php

Thanks.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

An IPhone is like 400 or 500 dollars right? I don't want to invest that much in a phone. If it gets stolen, it's a lot to lose. I hate that kind of pressure. I prefer to carry expendable objects. Who wants to carry something that's not expendable, especially while traveling?

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Me I do! I also travel with a $1k iPad.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:Me I do! I also travel with a $1k iPad.
Don't you worry about losing it or having it get stolen? Why do you need that kind of anxiety or pressure? Isn't peace of mind more important?

I wouldn't bring that to the Philippines.

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:An IPhone is like 400 or 500 dollars right? I don't want to invest that much in a phone. If it gets stolen, it's a lot to lose. I hate that kind of pressure. I prefer to carry expendable objects. Who wants to carry something that's not expendable, especially while traveling?
More like close to a grand for the newest model. Mine was NT$28,000 I think. But I got the back-up (older one) in States by signing-up w/AT&T and then cancelling for a total of around US$500 if I remember right.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:
Winston wrote:An IPhone is like 400 or 500 dollars right? I don't want to invest that much in a phone. If it gets stolen, it's a lot to lose. I hate that kind of pressure. I prefer to carry expendable objects. Who wants to carry something that's not expendable, especially while traveling?
More like close to a grand for the newest model. Mine was NT$28,000 I think. But I got the back-up (older one) in States by signing-up w/AT&T and then cancelling for a total of around US$500 if I remember right.
That's crazy. What do you do when you go to third world countries where pickpockets are everywhere? How do you feel at ease carrying a thousand dollar smart phone there?

Or what if you are on a train and trying to sleep on the bunk bed there? How do you fall asleep while worrying that someone might steal your thousand dollar Iphone?

I've heard of tons of people losing their smart phones that way.

How do you have peace of mind carrying around something so expensive in a country of pickpockets, scams and thieves?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

It looks like Skype won't work with all Samsung Androids.

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA1 ... roid-phone
Will Skype run on my Samsung Android handset?

The application currently runs on some Samsung Android handsets, but not all. If your Samsung Galaxy S is running with the Android 2.2 (Froyo) update, then Skype is supported, but if you're still running Android 2.1 then you will not be able to sign in to Skype. We’re working on a solution that will run on more Samsung devices. Meanwhile, you can still save money on calls to phones abroad with a Skype To Go™ number, which lets you make international calls from your Android phone (or any mobile or landline) at great Skype rates.

For a full list of devices that support Skype video calling, please visit the Android Market and view the application. Simply tap More on the application page for a full list of supported devices.

***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Winston wrote:Which Android brand do you all recommend? What about the Samsung Galaxy? It looks pretty nifty and Samsung usually has great quality graphics.
I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Factory unlocked phone and it's pentaband so it's compatible with all HSPA+ networks around the world. Also if you are looking for factory unlocked phones Winston you can shop for them at this site http://www.expansys-usa.com/ Most of their phones are factory unlocked and they sell almost every platform. If you are interested in a Android phone you can check the google play store cause they are selling the Galaxy Nexus for $349.00 The phone is stock android and is not manufacturer skinned so when a new version of the Android OS comes out Nexus devices get first dibs compared to the manufacturer skinned phones which take a long time to get newer android versions. This phone already has the Android 4.1.1 update and it's fast and skype works very well on it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

***JP*** wrote:
Winston wrote:Which Android brand do you all recommend? What about the Samsung Galaxy? It looks pretty nifty and Samsung usually has great quality graphics.
I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Factory unlocked phone and it's pentaband so it's compatible with all HSPA+ networks around the world. Also if you are looking for factory unlocked phones Winston you can shop for them at this site http://www.expansys-usa.com/ Most of their phones are factory unlocked and they sell almost every platform. If you are interested in a Android phone you can check the google play store cause they are selling the Galaxy Nexus for $349.00 The phone is stock android and is not manufacturer skinned so when a new version of the Android OS comes out Nexus devices get first dibs compared to the manufacturer skinned phones which take a long time to get newer android versions. This phone already has the Android 4.1.1 update and it's fast and skype works very well on it.
I don't need to spend that much. There are some good Samsung smart phones at the mall here for under $200. High end ones for $300. No need for a hefty shipping charge. All of them are unlocked.

***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Winston wrote:
***JP*** wrote:
I don't need to spend that much. There are some good Samsung smart phones at the mall here for under $200. High end ones for $300. No need for a hefty shipping charge. All of them are unlocked.
Another phone I could recommend just because it has pentaband radios in it is the Huawei ascend p1 s. You might find it very cheap over there in Asia.