Can women actually write software?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

designer wrote:
You know mate, it's OK to be someone else in an anonymous place in cyberspace, hide behind a self-righteous forum persona to vent all of your frustrations against the world, society, and why not, women. At least you should try and be consistent with it. In some of your old posts, which I cannot be bothered to dig out, I clearly remember you moaning about being an unemployed designer without a degree, bitter about the state of working class women somewhere in northern England.

Hahahahahahah!!! "unemployed?" Hahahahaa!!!! No degree??? Haahahahaha. Wow who could have imagined! I could have sworn that I am expected in France in the near future to carry out some business. But I guess I will take you on your word for it. As for "women in the north of england". Mate I dont think most people give a crap about the north of england. However I guess you are familiar with it? Great quality of life up there is it?

Your analysis of fact is questionable at best. But no matter. All of this has been great fun for me, thanks for the laugh. You are always very funny and help make my afternoon. Everyman deserves a good laugh at the end of the day. Thank you!

[/url]
Good luck with your French business (if it's not just in your mind). I'm sure you'll find plenty of extremely ignorant and obnoxious women to work with :)
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

publicduende wrote: Momopi, your definition of PMO and CM is perfectly logical and matches my experience, as it would that of anyone who has been working in software for a few years. I see little point with wasting breath on debating with someone who is only armed with a bunch of sexist stereotypes and never worked an IT job before, at least not a serious one.
I worked in CM for a year and just got a new job as PM this month. The new company is medium sized with >100 employees and never had a PM or project coordinator before. The VP and dev managers are all programmers, projects are all over the map, and we have >300 backlogged tickets. They actually expect me to manage 17 projects at same time. @_@;;
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

momopi wrote:
publicduende wrote: Momopi, your definition of PMO and CM is perfectly logical and matches my experience, as it would that of anyone who has been working in software for a few years. I see little point with wasting breath on debating with someone who is only armed with a bunch of sexist stereotypes and never worked an IT job before, at least not a serious one.
I worked in CM for a year and just got a new job as PM this month. The new company is medium sized with >100 employees and never had a PM or project coordinator before. The VP and dev managers are all programmers, projects are all over the map, and we have >300 backlogged tickets. They actually expect me to manage 17 projects at same time. @_@;;
Typical, doing firefighting and power-steering on situations that had been left to rot by the (previous or current) management. Is the job in the US, or Taiwan? Good luck!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

publicduende wrote: Typical, doing firefighting and power-steering on situations that had been left to rot by the (previous or current) management. Is the job in the US, or Taiwan? Good luck!
In US for now, we're looking to expand to China market ATM. I had originally planned to get a gig overseas but did not have sufficient PM experience to be a PM consultant there, so am going to get that experience now.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Cornfed wrote: I guessed your company had that sort of culture when you said women were capable of being developers. No doubt women can turn up late and take two hour lunches with the best of them. Would you say your company actually produces anything of value at all, or is it more a form of welfare that allows guys like yourself with no real marketable skills to put on a suit, turn up at a office and pretend to be employed?

1. The customer determines if our products and services are of any value, not you or I. Our clients tell us what they want and pay us to make it happen. If they're unhappy with our services, they're free to go elsewhere at any time.

2. How marketable your skills are is determined by market supply & demand, not your personal opinion. Currently the average salary for PMP certified PM in US is $108,000/year. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) and ITIL certs will also enhance the paycheck toward 6 figures.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

momopi wrote:1. The customer determines if our products and services are of any value, not you or I. Our clients tell us what they want and pay us to make it happen. If they're unhappy with our services, they're free to go elsewhere at any time.

2. How marketable your skills are is determined by market supply & demand, not your personal opinion. Currently the average salary for PMP certified PM in US is $108,000/year. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) and ITIL certs will also enhance the paycheck toward 6 figures.
You seem to be begging the question here by implying that because you are being handed money you must be doing something inherently valuable. In fact most people being handed money in the West are useless parasites on welfare of one form or another. The fact that your company has a culture such as the one you describe would tend to suggest you and your colleagues fit into this category, since if the company was expected to produce anything useful, lazy and irresponsible employees would all be fired. I suspect that most of the IT industry is now a middle class welfare scheme. As to your supposed qualifications, the fact is that your job as you describe it does not utilize any technical skills. Buying hippy tea and nagging people not to be quite so lazy is simply not the mark of a skilled job. That you are paid more than minimum wage just indicates that you are overpaid. Life isn't fair. Just as wives are generally overpaid in divorce, various corporate employees are also overpaid.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Can anyone think of any significant open source software written by women? I have been using open source software and contributing to open source for a long time now and I have never seen a single female open source programmer.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Cornfed wrote:
momopi wrote:1. The customer determines if our products and services are of any value, not you or I. Our clients tell us what they want and pay us to make it happen. If they're unhappy with our services, they're free to go elsewhere at any time.

You seem to be begging the question here by implying that because you are being handed money you must be doing something inherently valuable. In fact most people being handed money in the West are useless parasites on welfare of one form or another. The fact that your company has a culture such as the one you describe would tend to suggest you and your colleagues fit into this category, since if the company was expected to produce anything useful, lazy and irresponsible employees would all be fired. I suspect that most of the IT industry is now a middle class welfare scheme. As to your supposed qualifications, the fact is that your job as you describe it does not utilize any technical skills. Buying hippy tea and nagging people not to be quite so lazy is simply not the mark of a skilled job. That you are paid more than minimum wage just indicates that you are overpaid. Life isn't fair. Just as wives are generally overpaid in divorce, various corporate employees are also overpaid.
Such arrogance for someone who knows so little about the IT industry. What exactly are your skills and what exactly do you do to deserve those welfare handouts at the expense of taxpayers like momopi?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Cornfed wrote: You seem to be begging the question here by implying that because you are being handed money you must be doing something inherently valuable. In fact most people being handed money in the West are useless parasites on welfare of one form or another. The fact that your company has a culture such as the one you describe would tend to suggest you and your colleagues fit into this category, since if the company was expected to produce anything useful, lazy and irresponsible employees would all be fired. I suspect that most of the IT industry is now a middle class welfare scheme. As to your supposed qualifications, the fact is that your job as you describe it does not utilize any technical skills. Buying hippy tea and nagging people not to be quite so lazy is simply not the mark of a skilled job. That you are paid more than minimum wage just indicates that you are overpaid. Life isn't fair. Just as wives are generally overpaid in divorce, various corporate employees are also overpaid.
1. The boring and undescribed part of my job can be found in PMBOK v4.

2. If you do not have access to it at work or local library, you can read the older PMBOK v3 here:
http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~hammad/ ... nglish.pdf

3. Our clients are in the mining and energy sector world-wide. Every time that you pump gas, buy gold/silver, turn on your lights/computer, or buy food, you're contributing to my paycheck and bonus. It's like coins raining down on my piggy bank. So please, give yourself a hug and pat in the back for me. I thank you for supporting my upper middle class "welfare scheme", and paying for that juicy prime rib in my oven. I will think of you when I make gravy from the drippings today with beef stock and red wine reduction.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Cornfed wrote:Here is a tract which touches on how the software industry is now largely a scam. It is not surprising that females and other incompetents like managers who can't read code can flourish in such an environment given that the whole enterprise is a joke to begin with. In this sense the outsourcing of the industry to wogs could be seen as a positive step. Paying people less to do nothing is a step towards paying people nothing to do nothing, i.e. giving up.
I agree with this, but it isn't just the software industry that is scam. Basically all of modern corporate culture is a scam and produces nothing. Virtually everything produced is either made abroad in places like China or is made by Western men (not women) outside of the corporate world. Here is a good book that explains how dysfuntional the corporate world is:

Corporate Confidential

Note that this book is written by a woman who actually believes in the corporate system. Only a woman would be so delusional to believe in such a system, so only a woman could have written this book, and I thank her for it.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Cornfed wrote:
fschmidt wrote:I agree with this, but it isn't just the software industry that is scam. Basically all of modern corporate culture is a scam and produces nothing. Virtually everything produced is either made abroad in places like China or is made by Western men (not women) outside of the corporate world. Here is a good book that explains how dysfuntional the corporate world is:

Corporate Confidential

Note that this book is written by a woman who actually believes in the corporate system. Only a woman would be so delusional to believe in such a system, so only a woman could have written this book, and I thank her for it.
Given the diseased nature of the culture, it is hardly surprising that so many whorporate staff are spiritual lepers mouthing PC shibboleths like publicduende. It is unfortunate that corporations are allowed to hire inherently useless people to kiss the upper management's asses rather than hiring actual talented human beings and giving them meaningful mind-feeding projects, even if there is not currently an economic rationale for the projects. I wonder what will be done with all the bootlicking parasitical freaks when their system finally brings about its own destruction. I can't imagine them fitting into normal human society.
It would help for you to know more about the corporate world, the software industry, women and myself before laying a judgment like the one above. I don't even know where to start commenting on such a dense ball of BS. Maybe society is going towards its demise and all these spiritual lepers mouthing PC shibboleths will have justice. In the meantime, it's people like you, spitting sentences against everything and everyone from their basement chairs while raking up welfare checks that pay for their pizzas and Internet, who won't fit into normal human society. The biggest risk of a professional hater like you, Cornfed, is that you become what you hate, without even realising it.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

publicduende wrote: It would help for you to know more about the corporate world, the software industry, women and myself before laying a judgment like the one above. I don't even know where to start commenting on such a dense ball of BS. Maybe society is going towards its demise and all these spiritual lepers mouthing PC shibboleths will have justice. In the meantime, it's people like you, spitting sentences against everything and everyone from their basement chairs while raking up welfare checks that pay for their pizzas and Internet, who won't fit into normal human society. The biggest risk of a professional hater like you, Cornfed, is that you become what you hate, without even realising it.
I'm not on welfare. People who actually are on the state dole are a much higher class of being than those in whorporate welfare jobs since they consume less resources, are available for actual work, don't have to go around spreading the cancer of political correctness and aren't crowding talented and useful people out of the system.
lmd12358
Freshman Poster

Post by lmd12358 »

This is one of the most sexist and frankly annoying posts I have ever seen.

First off, being a male does not give you some special advantage in writing computer software. None.

I can list many, many women that I know, personally and professionally, who are excellent programmers. My Software development division of my company, while probably 80% men, has some of the best programmers I've met who are female. The are more proficient than many of the men who work here and contribute a lot to our company. I've known both of them to win hackathons we go to, to beat out all the men at coding competitions we have here at work, and to write straight up good code.

One of my best female friends writes code for robots in the medical field, and mentors high school robotics teams in her free time. Another woman I know codes games for her kids in her spare time.

Don't try to tell me females cant program.

I will say that I have met woman who are bad programmers. But I have also met plenty of men who are shit programmers, so that is hardly a decent argument.

If you look at any big technology firms (Facebook, Google, etc.) they all hire plenty of women, and many are also specifically seeking out women to work at their company.

If you're going to say something so stupid at least have some decent points to back up your argument.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

lmd12358 wrote:This is one of the most sexist and frankly annoying posts I have ever seen.

First off, being a male does not give you some special advantage in writing computer software. None.
Being a man means that I have ~ 6 times the grey matter of you insect-brained females and don't think any hysterical hormone-driven emotions I happen to have define reality. That is an advantage in creative pursuits.
I can list many, many women that I know, personally and professionally, who are excellent programmers.
Fine, then you should be able to answer an earlier question in this thread and list a few females who are well known coders of open source software. That is the acid test of course, because while whorporations can hire female "programers" just because they have a vagina, to be well known in open source software you have to actually write workable code. You could also list innovative programs the females you mention have actually written, rather than just talk about what they are nominally hired to do.