Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Can women actually write software?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

designer
Freshman Poster
Posts: 146
Joined: July 2nd, 2012, 12:50 am

Post by designer » October 24th, 2012, 5:57 pm

You know mate, it's OK to be someone else in an anonymous place in cyberspace, hide behind a self-righteous forum persona to vent all of your frustrations against the world, society, and why not, women. At least you should try and be consistent with it. In some of your old posts, which I cannot be bothered to dig out, I clearly remember you moaning about being an unemployed designer without a degree, bitter about the state of working class women somewhere in northern England.

Hahahahahahah!!! "unemployed?" Hahahahaa!!!! No degree??? Haahahahaha. Wow who could have imagined! I could have sworn that I am expected in France in the near future to carry out some business. But I guess I will take you on your word for it. As for "women in the north of england". Mate I dont think most people give a crap about the north of england. However I guess you are familiar with it? Great quality of life up there is it?

Your analysis of fact is questionable at best. But no matter. All of this has been great fun for me, thanks for the laugh. You are always very funny and help make my afternoon. Everyman deserves a good laugh at the end of the day. Thank you!




[/url]




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3391
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Post by publicduende » October 24th, 2012, 6:07 pm

designer wrote:
You know mate, it's OK to be someone else in an anonymous place in cyberspace, hide behind a self-righteous forum persona to vent all of your frustrations against the world, society, and why not, women. At least you should try and be consistent with it. In some of your old posts, which I cannot be bothered to dig out, I clearly remember you moaning about being an unemployed designer without a degree, bitter about the state of working class women somewhere in northern England.

Hahahahahahah!!! "unemployed?" Hahahahaa!!!! No degree??? Haahahahaha. Wow who could have imagined! I could have sworn that I am expected in France in the near future to carry out some business. But I guess I will take you on your word for it. As for "women in the north of england". Mate I dont think most people give a crap about the north of england. However I guess you are familiar with it? Great quality of life up there is it?

Your analysis of fact is questionable at best. But no matter. All of this has been great fun for me, thanks for the laugh. You are always very funny and help make my afternoon. Everyman deserves a good laugh at the end of the day. Thank you!




[/url]
Good luck with your French business (if it's not just in your mind). I'm sure you'll find plenty of extremely ignorant and obnoxious women to work with :)

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4855
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Post by momopi » November 1st, 2012, 4:13 am

publicduende wrote: Momopi, your definition of PMO and CM is perfectly logical and matches my experience, as it would that of anyone who has been working in software for a few years. I see little point with wasting breath on debating with someone who is only armed with a bunch of sexist stereotypes and never worked an IT job before, at least not a serious one.
I worked in CM for a year and just got a new job as PM this month. The new company is medium sized with >100 employees and never had a PM or project coordinator before. The VP and dev managers are all programmers, projects are all over the map, and we have >300 backlogged tickets. They actually expect me to manage 17 projects at same time. @_@;;

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3391
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Post by publicduende » November 1st, 2012, 2:17 pm

momopi wrote:
publicduende wrote: Momopi, your definition of PMO and CM is perfectly logical and matches my experience, as it would that of anyone who has been working in software for a few years. I see little point with wasting breath on debating with someone who is only armed with a bunch of sexist stereotypes and never worked an IT job before, at least not a serious one.
I worked in CM for a year and just got a new job as PM this month. The new company is medium sized with >100 employees and never had a PM or project coordinator before. The VP and dev managers are all programmers, projects are all over the map, and we have >300 backlogged tickets. They actually expect me to manage 17 projects at same time. @_@;;
Typical, doing firefighting and power-steering on situations that had been left to rot by the (previous or current) management. Is the job in the US, or Taiwan? Good luck!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4855
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Post by momopi » November 5th, 2012, 4:23 pm

publicduende wrote: Typical, doing firefighting and power-steering on situations that had been left to rot by the (previous or current) management. Is the job in the US, or Taiwan? Good luck!
In US for now, we're looking to expand to China market ATM. I had originally planned to get a gig overseas but did not have sufficient PM experience to be a PM consultant there, so am going to get that experience now.

Ginger
Freshman Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 9:39 pm
Location: somewhere out there

Post by Ginger » November 5th, 2012, 6:56 pm

...
Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6793
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » November 22nd, 2012, 3:56 am

momopi wrote: I work at an internet business company where the developers arrive at 10am-11am in the morning, take 2 hour lunches, takes off at random times to buy hippie tea, then engage in nerf gun battles after 4pm. As the PM with very little authority, my job is to go with the team on their 2 hour lunches, then suggest restaurants that are closer to the company that serves better food, then suggest that we go either before or after the lunch crowd. My objective is reached when I reduce the 2 hour lunches to 1.5 hours (or less).

I have nothing against "lunch", "restaurant", or "2 hour lunches". But when projects are delayed by months and I'm only getting 4 hours of work per day out of these guys, I push for 1.5 hour lunches and improve productivity by 30 minuets per person per day, which adds up to # of developers * 30 minuets = x work hours/day. Then I push to reduce hour-long meetings down to 15 minuet stand-ups. Then I push for "no nerf battles before 4:30 PM" in the office. If they want hippie tea, I will go buy it for them. This is what I do.
I guessed your company had that sort of culture when you said women were capable of being developers. No doubt women can turn up late and take two hour lunches with the best of them. Would you say your company actually produces anything of value at all, or is it more a form of welfare that allows guys like yourself with no real marketable skills to put on a suit, turn up at a office and pretend to be employed?

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4855
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Post by momopi » November 22nd, 2012, 8:56 am

Cornfed wrote: I guessed your company had that sort of culture when you said women were capable of being developers. No doubt women can turn up late and take two hour lunches with the best of them. Would you say your company actually produces anything of value at all, or is it more a form of welfare that allows guys like yourself with no real marketable skills to put on a suit, turn up at a office and pretend to be employed?

1. The customer determines if our products and services are of any value, not you or I. Our clients tell us what they want and pay us to make it happen. If they're unhappy with our services, they're free to go elsewhere at any time.

2. How marketable your skills are is determined by market supply & demand, not your personal opinion. Currently the average salary for PMP certified PM in US is $108,000/year. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) and ITIL certs will also enhance the paycheck toward 6 figures.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6793
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » November 22nd, 2012, 10:42 am

momopi wrote:1. The customer determines if our products and services are of any value, not you or I. Our clients tell us what they want and pay us to make it happen. If they're unhappy with our services, they're free to go elsewhere at any time.

2. How marketable your skills are is determined by market supply & demand, not your personal opinion. Currently the average salary for PMP certified PM in US is $108,000/year. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) and ITIL certs will also enhance the paycheck toward 6 figures.
You seem to be begging the question here by implying that because you are being handed money you must be doing something inherently valuable. In fact most people being handed money in the West are useless parasites on welfare of one form or another. The fact that your company has a culture such as the one you describe would tend to suggest you and your colleagues fit into this category, since if the company was expected to produce anything useful, lazy and irresponsible employees would all be fired. I suspect that most of the IT industry is now a middle class welfare scheme. As to your supposed qualifications, the fact is that your job as you describe it does not utilize any technical skills. Buying hippy tea and nagging people not to be quite so lazy is simply not the mark of a skilled job. That you are paid more than minimum wage just indicates that you are overpaid. Life isn't fair. Just as wives are generally overpaid in divorce, various corporate employees are also overpaid.

fschmidt
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2536
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Post by fschmidt » November 22nd, 2012, 10:54 am

Can anyone think of any significant open source software written by women? I have been using open source software and contributing to open source for a long time now and I have never seen a single female open source programmer.

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3391
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Post by publicduende » November 22nd, 2012, 10:55 am

Cornfed wrote:
momopi wrote:1. The customer determines if our products and services are of any value, not you or I. Our clients tell us what they want and pay us to make it happen. If they're unhappy with our services, they're free to go elsewhere at any time.

2. How marketable your skills are is determined by market supply & demand, not your personal opinion. Currently the average salary for PMP certified PM in US is $108,000/year. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) and ITIL certs will also enhance the paycheck toward 6 figures.
You seem to be begging the question here by implying that because you are being handed money you must be doing something inherently valuable. In fact most people being handed money in the West are useless parasites on welfare of one form or another. The fact that your company has a culture such as the one you describe would tend to suggest you and your colleagues fit into this category, since if the company was expected to produce anything useful, lazy and irresponsible employees would all be fired. I suspect that most of the IT industry is now a middle class welfare scheme. As to your supposed qualifications, the fact is that your job as you describe it does not utilize any technical skills. Buying hippy tea and nagging people not to be quite so lazy is simply not the mark of a skilled job. That you are paid more than minimum wage just indicates that you are overpaid. Life isn't fair. Just as wives are generally overpaid in divorce, various corporate employees are also overpaid.
Such arrogance for someone who knows so little about the IT industry. What exactly are your skills and what exactly do you do to deserve those welfare handouts at the expense of taxpayers like momopi?

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6793
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » November 22nd, 2012, 10:14 pm

fschmidt wrote:Can anyone think of any significant open source software written by women? I have been using open source software and contributing to open source for a long time now and I have never seen a single female open source programmer.
I can't think of any. The women involved in open source projects seem to contribute nothing other than shrill whining that men are not constantly effusively praising their non-contributions. They do however manage to worm their way into influential administrative positions with the help of mangina lackeys, which they use to enforce political correctness and generally drag the whole venture down to their level. For example, some horrible freaks calling themselves "geek feminists" managed to have MikeeUSA's projects removed from open source portals a few years ago for his crime of not being a feminist. That something like that can happen makes me think the open source movement is no longer worth bothering with.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6793
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » November 22nd, 2012, 10:37 pm

fschmidt wrote: I have been using open source software and contributing to open source for a long time now and I have never seen a single female open source programmer.
The lack of any meaningful contribution by women to open source software would seem to be fairly conclusive proof that women can't write software. Corporations own the world at the moment and so have the resources to give pretend jobs to as many unemployable people as they want. Hence the fact that some skank is hired as a programmer is no guarantee that she can actually program. However, to be known in the OS world you do actually have to be able to program and, just as importantly, have an interest in programming that goes beyond your next paycheck. The fact that there are plenty of alleged corporate female programmers but essentially no female OS programmers would tend to suggest that the corporate so-called programming jobs given to females are a social engineering scam.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4855
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Post by momopi » November 23rd, 2012, 1:47 am

Cornfed wrote: You seem to be begging the question here by implying that because you are being handed money you must be doing something inherently valuable. In fact most people being handed money in the West are useless parasites on welfare of one form or another. The fact that your company has a culture such as the one you describe would tend to suggest you and your colleagues fit into this category, since if the company was expected to produce anything useful, lazy and irresponsible employees would all be fired. I suspect that most of the IT industry is now a middle class welfare scheme. As to your supposed qualifications, the fact is that your job as you describe it does not utilize any technical skills. Buying hippy tea and nagging people not to be quite so lazy is simply not the mark of a skilled job. That you are paid more than minimum wage just indicates that you are overpaid. Life isn't fair. Just as wives are generally overpaid in divorce, various corporate employees are also overpaid.
1. The boring and undescribed part of my job can be found in PMBOK v4.

2. If you do not have access to it at work or local library, you can read the older PMBOK v3 here:
http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~hammad/ ... nglish.pdf

3. Our clients are in the mining and energy sector world-wide. Every time that you pump gas, buy gold/silver, turn on your lights/computer, or buy food, you're contributing to my paycheck and bonus. It's like coins raining down on my piggy bank. So please, give yourself a hug and pat in the back for me. I thank you for supporting my upper middle class "welfare scheme", and paying for that juicy prime rib in my oven. I will think of you when I make gravy from the drippings today with beef stock and red wine reduction.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6793
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » November 30th, 2012, 11:04 pm

Here is a tract which touches on how the software industry is now largely a scam. It is not surprising that females and other incompetents like managers who can't read code can flourish in such an environment given that the whole enterprise is a joke to begin with. In this sense the outsourcing of the industry to wogs could be seen as a positive step. Paying people less to do nothing is a step towards paying people nothing to do nothing, i.e. giving up.

http://www.buildfreedom.com/content/rec ... pter1.html
If all this [dysfunctional corporate culture] is true, there should be no software being produced at all. The software industry should be impossible, yet vast numbers of people are employed in it. So what's wrong? The simple yet shocking answer is that no software is being produced, but there is a vast, global pretending industry! Think about it. For all the hysterical marketing hype, when was the last time you saw a new software product, instead of Version 8.9 of something that existed by 1993? Since we can manufacture existing software by copying it, we really don't care about old stuff. It just doesn't signify. What matters in software is the new stuff. In software, we should be producing new stuff, day in and day out, like traditional industry produced the same stuff, day in and day out. Yet since the early 1990s, the global software industry has been trapped in a state where fearful employees pretend to be engaged in performing robotic activities with ever faster repetition rates, rush into meeting rooms to discuss their ever more complex tool configuration issues, and frantically talk up their "genius", as evidenced by all the wonderful "complexity" that they have produced. But nothing ever comes out!

Until recently, it's been possible to conceal the non-productivity of the global software industry by blurring the issues, and falsely applying the standards of traditional mass production (same stuff every day) to the software industry (new stuff every day). Because the software industry can produce the same stuff every day without making any effort at all, it's been possible to hide what is going on. In traditional industries using manual labour, a worker who (for example) engraves a complicated pattern is more productive than a worker who engraves a simple pattern. In the software industry this is not true. A mindless computer can generate software complexity, but only real work by a conscious mind can find simplicity. And selling copy after copy of the same program for outrageous prices, as if the cost realities of traditional manufacturing industry apply - and they don't - has kept revenues flowing in, as Internet connectivity has been rolled out to over a billion human beings.

Even with those unjustified revenues, the whole thing has become a grand mirage, in which many global companies wandered off into the delusional state of sitting around in meeting rooms, creating notional value by selling each others' shares around in circles, and writing it down as profits. The software industry fell into the grip of a climate of fear, hysteria, evasiveness and reality denial which was captured by Scott Adams in his "Dilbert" cartoons.

After a brief period of fertility, during which the software wealth we currently enjoy was constructed by the minority of inductive thinkers in our culture, the deductivist bias took hold, and software production stopped dead.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computers, Internet, Mobile Technology”